Mag Catch Conversion and Source

Understanding it's 5AM and I have not hit my coffee load yet, I've searched around for the Mag Catch swapping tutorial but can't seem to find it. Can anyone post a link?

It seems to me that it would be easier to swap the mag catch on my AO/Kahr M1SBR rather than mod original mags or pay for new manufactured AO mags.

I've also searched online for a source. Places like SARCO and Numrich are sold out. There are several 1928 catches on Gunbroker - would one of those fit? I noted some discussion of filing the 1928A1 catch down to resemble the M1A1 catch but I'm not sure the catches listed on GB are for an A1.

Can anyone help with some guidance here as to type and source for the catch I'd need?

TIA

No matter what, if you get a GI mag catch you still have to file it down the 1/10th of an inch to make the un-modified mags work. ANY GI Thompson mag catch should fit but the filing can be done on your own stock one.

Link to the catch filing explanation:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17550

Jon

• 1 month later...

I bought twenty GI Mags still wrapped in brown wax paper and cosmoline from Sportsman's Guide almost a decade ago...

cleaned them up...modified the mag hole with my dremel...little at a time...plenty of fitting in between...

and took them to the range. Happy to report all worked fine...

There is a finite number of GI mags left in the market. Modifying the mag catch when the mag catch which can be replaced seems like the better solution. Each GI mags that has been modified, is one less available for full auto use.

I see...

I feel for your loss...

When I bought them...I thought they would fit...found they didn't...did the research...modified as required.

Did you modify the original mag catch on yours...or buy a new mag catch and modify that one...?

Copy that...thanks for the input.

While I have you here...would you mind answering a few questions:

Is Philadelphia Ordnance still in business...seen them mention in posts from 2012...not later

And is Deer Slayer ( Dan Block ) still an active member...would like to get an extended horizontal fore end

Are they hard to install...? Seems most sent their carbine in to him

TIA ppgcowboy

Edited by SHOOTER13

Part of how hard they are to find is tied to what condition you want. There are 5 on GunBroker right now.

Well, duh???!! I hadn't checked GB in a while - totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!! I'm headed to a gun show this weekend in Allentown, PA and have a feeler out with Bill Ricca. If I don't have any luck with him I'll circle back to Gun Broker!!

Your best bet is to call. I believe it is the first number on the contact page. I think the second number doesn't work. I have bought from him before and have spoke to him several times.

Andrew

I usually try to call about 1:00-1:30 EST. My guess is he just has been too lazy to change his message. He could be extending the long weekend break for this whole week, so I would try again on Monday. Let us know if you manage to get through.

Andrew

I dealt with him several years ago. He didn't have anything in stock he would buy what you wanted then mark it up and it would take forever to get what you were looking for.

I would rather pay twice as much for something than put up with him. Not good folk to deal with. Just my opinion.

Frank