Blown Barrel - Wow!

I have never had a squib load on Factory ammo, and never a squib on reloads, I inspect and weigh each round. W#as taught that a long time ago. Never have found one either. I don't use the cheapest ammo either.

you weigh each round?

Yeah, I do, weird huh. And if they have an extreme difference, I don't use them

sweet mother of god. I shot over 10,000rds last year. I absolutely can't imagine taking the time to weigh 10,000rds of ammunition one at a time

Not a Thompson barrel but I thought it may be of some interest. M10 MAC in .45ACP. The first bullet stopped about 1.5 inches from the muzzle. It appears to me that very close to if not a full 30 rds. were fired. M10s have a high fire rate but the rate of fire as the bullets piled up must have been crazy The shooter was not injured..

m10 barrel blown out.2.jpg

m10 barrel blown out.jpg

m10 barrel3.jpg

m10 barrel4.jpg

I have never had a squib load on Factory ammo, and never a squib on reloads, I inspect and weigh each round. W#as taught that a long time ago. Never have found one either. I don't use the cheapest ammo either.

you weigh each round?

sweet mother of god. I shot over 10,000rds last year. I absolutely can't imagine taking the time to weigh 10,000rds of ammunition one at a time

For that you would need to get a Dillon progressive press with a powder checker. I only re-weigh every round when I am reloading for extreme accuracy in my bolt guns. I wouldn't want to do it for 10,000 rounds haha.

Andrew

you weigh each round?

I am retired, I have plenty of time. I even reload in a single stage press. LOL

I don't think I'll switch to a Dillon from the RCBS single stage until I really start reloading bulk (non- extreme accuracy) for either my 9mm or my 5.56. but as far as this topic goes, unless you are really being absent minded; for the most part you have less of a chance of a problem at the range.

Andrew

I had some Remington .357 mag rounds that were overloaded from the factory 30 years ago and would split the case down to the head. A big piece of metal blew out and chipped my shooting glasses. I think I still have some of it if anyone wants it. Any process can fail sometimes. I still think that careful singe round (or on a progressive press with inspection) is safer than a machine run at the factory, in most cases.

The failure looks like a combination of things. Overload with metal failure?