Hello everybody! Does anyone have information about using supressor with Thompson Gun? I know there was a Commando Model 1942 (SOE/OSS), and Model 1919 No. 2 also had a thread on the barrel for a supressor. The catalog A.O. also has a description of accessories for Tommygun, there is Maxim Silencer. I would be glad if someone shares the information. Thank!

post-262734-0-89557900-1588362996_thumb.png

post-262734-0-91146000-1588363019_thumb.jpg

post-262734-0-32708100-1588363032_thumb.jpg

I have some of Doug Richardson's books I bought many years ago, but not the 'Thompson Submachine Gun Suppressor', I had no interst in that.

When I bought mine I had to order direct from Doug, but I believe he is not in good health at the moment or maybe not operating his business any more. He was not in good health when I bought from him, but his wife was still alive then and she was the one that dealt with the order I believe.

Someone else on the board may be able to give an update on this.

оставаться в безопасности, ( I hope that translates correctly :wacko: )

Richard

I have some of Doug Richardson's books I bought many years ago, but not the 'Thompson Submachine Gun Suppressor', I had no interst in that.

When I bought mine I had to order direct from Doug, but I believe he is not in good health at the moment or maybe not operating his business any more. He was not in good health when I bought from him, but his wife was still alive then and she was the one that dealt with the order I believe.

Someone else on the board may be able to give an update on this.

оставаться в безопасности, ( I hope that translates correctly :wacko: )

Richard

Yes you wrote it right

The Model of 1919, Annihilator II pictured above is serial number NO. 2, and can be found at the West Point Military Museum. I have never seen a picture of this Model of 1919 with a suppresser attached. Does this picture appear photoshopped? Note how the suppressor appears canted at the end of the barrel in the picture. I also find it interesting that who ever named the below picture mispelled the word Annihilator.

Annigiliator II -  Copy.jpg

More information on NO. 2 can be found on pages 41 & 42 in, The Ultimate Thompson Book.

The Model of 1919, Annihilator II pictured above is serial number NO. 2, and can be found at the West Point Military Museum. I have never seen a picture of this Model of 1919 with a suppresser attached. Does this picture appear photoshopped? Note how the suppressor appears canted at the end of the barrel in the picture. I also find it interesting that who ever named the below picture mispelled the word Annihilator.

attachicon.gif Annigiliator II - Copy.jpg

More information on NO. 2 can be found on pages 41 & 42 in, The Ultimate Thompson Book.

This photo is a fantasy of the author. This is a combination of the Maxim silencer from the catalog of A.O.C. and Model No 2, for which the suppressor was provided. Mistake in the name .. hmm, maybe he was Russian ..

Yes, the picture of 1919 No.2 does appeared to be a composite of the gun and a Maxim suppressor. However, as Tom noted, The Ultimate Thompson Book clearly states that this model of 1919 barrel was threaded to accept the Maxim suppressor, and TUTB shows that gun with its threaded barrel on page 41.

The integrally suppressed Thompson shown in the pics on the left above was a test or proof-of-concept gun done by the British during WWII. It is currently located in the Royal Armouries collection in Leeds. It is Savage M1 number 9535 that was modified as shown. As far as I know, this effort never went beyond the testing phase.

I have Doug Richardson's "Thompson Submachine Gun Suppressor" book. It doesn't really offer anything additional to this discussion. Doug talks briefly about the Maxim suppressor and the British efforts during WWII, but most of the book outlines his design for an integrally suppressed Thompson. I do not know if Doug ever built any of these or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the picture of 1919 No.2 does appeared to be a composite of the gun and a Maxim suppressor. However, as Tom noted, The Ultimate Thompson Book clearly states that this model of 1919 barrel was threaded to accept the Maxim suppressor, and TUTB shows that gun with its threaded barrel on page 41.

The integrally suppressed Thompson shown in the pics on the left above was a test or proof-of-concept gun done by the British during WWII. It is currently located in the Royal Armouries collection in Leeds. It is Savage M1 number 9535 that was modified as shown. As far as I know, this effort never went beyond the testing phase.

I have Doug Richardson's "Thompson Submachine Gun Suppressor" book. It doesn't really offer anything additional to this discussion. Doug talks briefly about the Maxim suppressor and the British efforts during WWII, but most of the book outlines his design for an integrally suppressed Thompson. I do not know if Doug ever built any of these or not.

Reading through an Article wrote by Tracie Hill in a copy of the 'American Society of Arms Collectors' Bulletin, there is a nice picture of Model of 1919 S/N 2 showing the screw thread on the barrel.

The picture has the caption "The threaded barrel also allowed the installation of a bipod, bayonet or Maxim Suppressor." Never heard of a screw threaded bayonet attachment, but as a lot of us know, what was put in early AOC publicity and advertisements was sometimes not true, C Drums not operating with the Model of 1928 for example, or followed through.

Edited by rpbcps