Strange 20 round magazine catch- what is it

Looks like a poor mans attempt to make it work in a semi auto, maybe using a square file.

I agree with Shadycon and giantpanda. Most likely a mod to use the mag with a semi Thompsons.

This is a new variation of mod I havent seen before, but I have seen plenty of butchered magazines very poorly modified for the semi guns.

I personally am not so quick to dismiss this as a semi auto home

hack job. The part of the mag catch that engages the mag is round,

not square, and the squaring off of the hour looks perfect. But I can't

think of another gun with a square mag catch. I guess we will never

know.

Bob

From the picture the square part looks filed and not punched as does the round part of the hole . . . OP can you see if that is correct?

If it was some factory work chances that it was hand-filed are nil unless it was some special/custom/experiment type project.

My wild-arse guess was going to be "to maybe fit a UD 42" but their 45 acp versions were only prototypes and used regular TSMG 20 round mags right?

Short answer = I dunno. But it is interesting.

Could be a Custom made magazine to fit the original proto-type 6.5 dreadmoor thompson that Herr Thompson made for himself for zebra hunting trip he was going to make in 1926. gun was lost when the nazis torpedoed his ship in 1927. :blink:

Or more likely a home hack job by a semi owner trying to get an expensive original mag to fit his gun. the bubba do not have a round file, and used a flat mill file to get it to fit. I see stuff like this in sales and auctions around here fairly often. The better ones are a reasonable oval. The bad ones are usually bad.