Blank Firing MP38s Made In Ukraine

I notice toward the bottom of the page that a poster in the US (in Hollywood, CA, no less) has one. I suppose that getting BATF import approval and an individual just purchasing one on the internet are two different things.

I notice toward the bottom of the page that a poster in the US (in Hollywood, CA, no less) has one. I suppose that getting BATF import approval and an individual just purchasing one on the internet are two different things.

The Ukranian MP38 BFONG is interesting, it is not quite correct-dimensionally, they are made from pot-metal and shoot the lowest load PPU blank available (red tip), the "barrel" section and receiver are one piece of solid metal, there is no barrel per se, but a series of vents, this cannot be adapted for a heavier powder load BFA - there is only the setting it comes with. The muzzle flash was not very good and the gun although looking and feeling heavy is delicate, pot metal shatters, it doesn't bend and it cannot be welded, neither of which are good for movies.

The MP38 was not working well, as the sear pin and fallen out and the trigger was at an odd angle, it took about twenty minutes to fix this problem. In my hotel room in North London, I actually became curious about the legality of the BFONG and called the head of the firearms division Metropolitan Police, we were dealing with them on the film anyway. They did have some concerns, the muzzle flash vents forwards, but an agreement was made.

I used the MP38 on two features, both in the UK.

Sony Pictures "Accident Man" - features my MP38 in the trailer.

1:16 Ray Stevenson is shooting it.

The MP38 BFONG moved on some time ago, for the above reasons, it's not really built for movie use - I now use the Indianapolis Ordnance BFONG's almost exclusively now (in the USA), when not using BFA adapted live-firearms.

I did not buy the MP38 BFONG on the internet...

...I bought it on a housing estate in Birmingham.

I had the driver wait in the car with the engine running when I went inside the roughest looking semi-detached house on a rough looking block and made the deal.

The seller was Polish and spoke very little English.

FEIjRktl.jpg

JESSE Thanks for the good info i tried getting the one out of ssd a while back no luck. they have had receivers waiting for approval in batf for well over 18 months. no approval. I gave up on bringing and buying over 50 guns for 150 grand. a exercise in futility now.R.K.

p.s. these did shoot real 9mm, not a blank shooter.

post-504-0-86413100-1616019015_thumb.jpg

Edited by colt21a

JESSE Thanks for the good info i tried getting the one out of ssd a while back no luck. they have had receivers waiting for approval in batf for well over 18 months. no approval. I gave up on bringing and buying over 50 guns for 150 grand. a exercise in futility now.R.K.

p.s. these did shoot real 9mm, not a blank shooter.

The Ukranian BFONG is a good looking toy that fires low-powered blanks.

The SSD or BD38 is a totally different piece of gear.

Dietriech makes high quality replicas that copy the originals to a *fault.

The BD38 - has been an ongoing saga, DK Arms have been having a tough time with approval on this one, safety catches, denial blocks.

They're still fighting the good fight and actually jumping through the hoops, good luck to them.

I think a four letter agency has just decided it doesn't like the idea of that model being available.

Anyone have any experience with the MP38 EXP blank guns from Petr Novohradsky (that's probably misspelled) in the Czech Republic? These seem to be all steel, except for the aluminum grip frame and barrel rest, and the plastic stock and grips, of course.

http://www.veteranarmy.cz/data/pdf/samopal.pdf

With the current regime in d.c. we are getting nothing done. I have been in contact with Tor since the start of the MP-38 Debacle. and ended it with the last deal of MP-38 Pistols now a decade ago with that owner. at the time now Tiger Imports or who knows what they are now.And even the Canada connection is gone and all turned in or destroyed. You could not even get a parts set out of them when they folded the tent on those models.Most now don't even want to bother with it. Like my fight well over 15 years ago to Import Dragunovs again. big laugh on that one i got one as far as Switzerland gun shop..

I should have moved decades ago to the paki gun market or over with these guys they had some guns..R.K.

post-504-0-35269800-1616100300_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Anyone have any experience with the MP38 EXP blank guns from Petr Novohradsky (that's probably misspelled) in the Czech Republic? These seem to be all steel, except for the aluminum grip frame and barrel rest, and the plastic stock and grips, of course.

http://www.veteranarmy.cz/data/pdf/samopal.pdf

I have my entire "on set" inventory spot checked by ATF, police, sheriff's or BLM (don't comment until you see them in full assault gear, these are not your usual park rangers.) in CA and other states regularly.

They're not screwing around, and much more than the legal costs involved with an issue, this is my livelihood at stake.

The Indianapolis Ordnance guns are very clearly BFONG, meaning the "barrel" section is permanently welded to the receiver - both receiver and bolt are off sized and don't match an original, the ammunition used is proprietary, 9.3 or .46" - they are clearly marked and easy to explain to even a firearms novice, and many law enforcement are only possessing of a rudimentary firearms technical knowledge.

I wouldn't let that Czech MP38 anywhere near me, or my work.

In my opinion it looks too easy to convert (one piece receiver) and this is just optics, but that is all it needs to be. Caveat Emptor.

Also bringing it into the US without the correct import form (or end user paperwork) could result in some issues, too.

If you want an MP38 Blank firer, just spend the dollars on the Indie Ordnance set up and real parts, it will last, run like a top and you won't sweat driving it to your reenactment, or whatever it is you want it for.

(I have owned and tried all the other CRAP and that's what most of it is, use my spending to save your hard earned dollars.)

The blanks are reasonably priced from Atlantic Wall, I buy all mine from them, and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Anyways, good luck and stay legal!

Col1921a -

Tor is good people, he has helped me over and over with my numerous restoration projects, and I hope he can make it back to Kentucky and finally get the business going!

Edited by pitfighter
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...