Cutts Pressed or Threaded

Hey there!

I didn't realize until it was too late that my Cutts was one of the press-on types, and I now have a Green Mountain Barrel installed with threads, and a press-on compensator.

Is there a source for threaded comps? The ones on Kahr's site are only the press-on types.

Try Numrich Gun Parts.

About a 2 months ago I purchased my second Green Mountain Barrel and a Cutts and Front Sight from Numrich Gun Parts.

And they are Threaded.

Years ago I did my first Green Mountain Barrel and used the Cutts that came on the Gun.

These recent purchases was incase stuff gets Banned or not Available for a future project.

I appreciate the link. Neat site but unfortunately:

Please note that due to COVID-19, the newest catalog will be postponed. As I live in Canada and am unable to cross the border at this time, shipping is not available. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have things running again soon!

They use to be more common popping up on GB and eBay but then eBay squashed selling MG parts on their site, and of course the new European policy on anything leaving the country...

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All;

I am new to the boards so please bear with me.
I bought a new 1927A1 in 2002. It never worked. Nothing actually fits. The stick magazines will not lock in. The rear sight literally falls off if it fires a few rounds.
I took it to a gunsmith years ago and he totally gave up on it. Says it is not repairable.

Sorting this out is NOT going to be easy because I suspect the receiver is the problem.
I am trying to disassemble the gun to see what is serviceable.

My Question: Is it even possible to remove the Cutts Compensator from a 1927A1? If so, how is it done?

TNX

Roy

i would think that by now every one is aware of the problems with kahr,,some how i think the kahe business plan is selling commemorative guns,, not intended to actually fire just for show and tell,and yes i know they are the only game in town, just sayn

Roy, you may have a threaded comp, it can be unscrewed, but why? Your barrel will have a tight chamber but that can be fixed with the barrel still on. The front sight can be riveted. Your mag catch and magazines can be adjusted. Feed ramp polished. Search the archives if you want to do it yourself. If you want help, ask.

Thank you. I didn't know the magazine catch could be adjusted. hat would help a lot.
I tried "Loc-tight" on the rear sight to keep it from vibrating loose. Results Negative !!!

How can I tell if the compensator is screwed on or riveted ?
I strongly suspect I will have to replace the receiver. And getting the barrel loose is a story unto itself. LOL

If Al Capone had THIS Thompson, he would have been working an honest job

Roy

Edited by aussie-ex Pat

Thank you. I didn't know the magazine catch could be adjusted. hat would help a lot.

I tried "Loc-tight" on the rear sight to keep it from vibrating loose. Results Negative !!!

How can I tell if the compensator is screwed on or riveted ?

I strongly suspect I will have to replace the receiver. And getting the barrel loose is a story unto itself. LOL

If Al Capone had THIS Thompson, he would have been working an honest job

Roy

The problems you describe sound like typical semi-auto Thompson problems. With some work they can be corrected. On removing the barrel ... Unless you have a Thompson barrel clamp I would suggest not trying to remove it. Additionally, unless you are changing the barrel, why remove it? If your rear sight is attached with screws, you can stake them on the inside and eliminate that problem. I would strongly suggest that you send your gun to a good Thompson mechanic like Deerslayer ... He can diagnose your problems and correct them for you. Lastly, on the magazines, are you using unaltered GI mas? They will not fit and operate properly in a semi-auto gun without being altered to lock into the mag catch.

In 2002 roughly.. the kahr quality was approximately this..

Screwed on rear sights..screws never stay tight.

Bolt, actually better than today. Extractors didn't pop off. Don't let that bolt get away. They used the very long tip firing pin then. The tips can break off

Receivers. Nice broach cut extractor groove, you could use gi extractors. Now the are rotory cut rounded slot and don't have as much clearance so extractors have to be modified. Only thing bad I've seen on a receiver is rough bad shaped feed ramp. The bolt pocket has never been bad in my experience.

Barrel, tight chamber.

Some where they switched from threaded comp to press fit. When they did this they used a roll pin to hold it in place. If you have a kahr without a roll pin my guess is that your comp will be threaded and have loc Tite.

Rivets. Just like GI gun

That sounds like a fun project. I found rivets from Sarco... do I need to do anything to the receiver, or will the rivets not interfere with the bolt?

It's a 2009 model if that makes a difference. And I swear I love the thing! I just got the Numrich compensator pinned and welded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is a "roll-pin". I got it out and the sight comes off but not the compensator. It is pressed-on. Ugh !!!!

This gun should be called: "the gun that never hurt anybody on purpose".

Since I bought it new in 2003 I have been trying to fit it. Nothing works right and none of the parts are the actual right size.

Ugh !!!!

Roy