Safety Notch in 1928A1 Bolt

My matching NAC M1928A1 has the bolt safety notch as well. FOIA results show when the gun was imported by Numrich and added to the NFA registry, but there's no mention of where the gun was imported from. The gun has no British markings, but I've always suspected that's where it came from largely based on the presence of that notch. Other typical British features are not present, such as the repositioned sling swivels and modified Blish lock. The guns condition is very nearly original new. I suspect that if the gun came from Britain, it remined unissued while it was there.

Broke My Blish Lock Tonight - Page 2 - Thompson Submachine Gun Message Board - MachineGunBoards.com Forums

Read link... Lock has ears shaved off.

I have also seen a nut and bolt replace the lock... I am surprised how that worked!

Did all Brit guns get the extra sear notgh under the bolt? And while we all know Thompsons will work without a blish lock,why do so? While it doesnt work as the inventor imagined,it does do somthing.Kinda like removing the oiler,its not needed to work,but why remove it.

I think the idea was to further improve reliability in the sandy North African environment, along with brazing closed the cartridge counting holes in TSMG magazines.

The extra sear notch was so the safety could be placed on "SAFE" with the bolt closed instead of open. The very real possibility of having a live round stripped from a loaded stick mag that was inserted and being carried with the bolt closed on the chamber after being dropped was the point of that extra notch. You could safely close the bolt, put it on "safe" then insert the stick mag, keeping dust and debris out of the chamber and not have an accidental drop fire.