Best solution for a tight Mp40 magwell

Whats the best option for a tight magwell on a MP40?

I am using a Wilson tube gun. The magwell is the late war style with no notch ground into the bottom of the well. The thing is I have 13 magazines and only 3 fit into the gun. Of the three that fit, two are slab sides.

I was going to try grinding down some Vig mags. Is that the best option? I have two other magwells and my mags fit into those fine. This one is real snug on the sides.

Try using a nut and bolt that fit inside your mag housing. Hex head type. Put a wrench on each side then slowly back the nut off the bolt. This should expand the mag housing side to side so your mag will slide in and out easily. It’s trial and error just go a 1/4 turn and try mag. Don’t over do it. Sometimes people put the mag housing in a bench vise to hold barreled receiver. Clamping too tight will cause mag housing to close making insertion of mags hard or tight. HTH

What maker made the gun and magwell?

It's been my experience that Steyr 98E and kur mags are the best functioning and most consistently made. Agree, bte mags are a real crap shoot.

I was looking at why the magazine that came with the gun fits fine, and I noticed someone sanded it. They must have encountered the same problem I am running into.

The mag on the left is the one that fits and came with the gun. For now I have three that fit without feeling like I am going to break something so that will get me going at least.

erjUspZl.jpg

gtjF91il.jpg

Edited by cavalry

I would not grind down the mags just so they fit that magwell. The magwell is the problem. If you have 2 others that work just change it out, that to me is the best solution.

• Upvote 2

I would not grind down the mags just so they fit that magwell. The magwell is the problem. If you have 2 others that work just change it out, that to me is the best solution.

Additionally, if you sand down magazines they may not work as well in a working magwell. Those magazines aren't inexpensive, and by sanding them down you could make them undesirable for others to buy them if the time ever comes.

• Upvote 1