British Royal Navy with Model of 1928's

Came across these photos in a file, may have been posted before, but I am sure some of the newer members would not have seen them. British Royal Navy with Model of 1928's and 1908 Pattern webbing. 

1940 - Britain - Pattern 1908.jpg

British Navy 1928 1.jpeg

British Navy 1928 2.jpeg

British Navy 1928 3.jpeg

British Navy 1928 4.jpeg

British Navy 1928 5.jpeg

British Navy 1928 6.jpeg

RN 1928.jpg

RN Practices shore Defence 1942.jpg

RN with TSMG.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bug said:

Great pics. I can hear TD drooling...

🤣😂

Edited by rpbcps

Great pic's!  Of note, the first image is reversed.  Thought it was a good example of front sling swivels on the left side of front grip... but ejection port there as well....

That was great. On other forums one of the most common issues is using slings with a vertical grip.  It doesn't help that there are posters and advertisements on the net showing the sling kind of wrapped around the barrel beyond the foregrip.  I didn't look that hard for a sling as shown in the advertisements, but I didn't find one.

Now I have some cool pictures I can just use in a reply the next time it comes up.

It also doesn't help that the manufacturers of the replica sell  the gun with a butt swivel, include a sling, and no way to attach it on the other end of the gun.

Oh....almost forgot....the Royal Navy was kind enough not to have a sling attached to the foregrip so you could get a good look at the mount....and then one photo with a sling attached...perfect!

64-2.jpg

Here are a few of more photos I have on file showing sling attachment to a vertical grip. The first one shows Canadian soldiers in the UK, one with a broken sling swivel, so has improvised the sling attachment to the barrel, the ability to survive depends on the ability to adapt.

image.jpeg

2nd shows a King’s Own Royal Regt, Sgt Major inspecting a TSMG prior to raid at Tobruk in 1941.

2nd Battalion, King’s Own Royal Regt, Sgt Major inspects TSMG prior to raid Tobruk 1941.JPG

3rd is a Malay trooper during the Malayan Emergency in 1950.

Malay trooper Malayan Emergency 1950.jpg

The 4th and 5th photos show a Model of 1928 that was recovered in Baghdad in the 2000's. I found this one interesting as it shows the sling swivel position has been moved from the right hand side to the left, noted by the screw holes on the right hand side of the vertical grip. It also shows the original stock reinforcement method used by the British/ Commonwealth forces, two screw added to the stock.

1928 Baghdad find.jpg

1928 Baghdad finda.jpg

Edited by rpbcps

Most of the first set of pictures posted by rpbcps are from the Admiralty Collection at the Imperial War Museum. Unfortunately, the only date attributed to these pictures is 1940. No doubt these are early Savage guns since Savage Arms only manufactured approximately 43,766 Thompson guns in 1940 - See American Thunder III, page 155. The first guns were delivered in April 1940 and the serial number that started the production, while unknown, was somewhere between S-15041 and S-15259 - See A Thompson Compendium, Chapters 1 - 3. No doubt all these Savage guns had the New York address on the right-side receiver.

Looking at the uniforms of the sailors and background, is there a way to guess the time of year in Great Britain. I am guessing late fall. 

All good stuff!!! 

3 hours ago, bug said:

Funny, I know the guy who found the gun in pics 4 & 5. Iraq around 2006 or so.

Small world 🤫

2 hours ago, TD. said:

Most of the first set of pictures posted by rpbcps are from the Admiralty Collection at the Imperial War Museum. Unfortunately, the only date attributed to these pictures is 1940. No doubt these are early Savage guns since Savage Arms only manufactured approximately 43,766 Thompson guns in 1940 - See American Thunder III, page 155. The first guns were delivered in April 1940 and the serial number that started the production, while unknown, was somewhere between S-15041 and S-15259 - See A Thompson Compendium, Chapters 1 - 3. No doubt all these Savage guns had the New York address on the right-side receiver.

Looking at the uniforms of the sailors and background, is there a way to guess the time of year in Great Britain. I am guessing late fall. 

All good stuff!!! 

TD,

Could be anytime of year in the UK, weather is unpredictable over here. Judging by the uniform, my own understanding, is that in summer the Navy wore a white front flannel shirt under the tunic, and a blue jersey in Winter, which appears to be what those sailors are wearing.

18 hours ago, thirtyround said:

Great pic's!  Of note, the first image is reversed.  Thought it was a good example of front sling swivels on the left side of front grip... but ejection port there as well....

Glad I didn't dingbat out and send it to someone as an example, ha ha. Glad you pointed it out....I have a file of reference photos...nothing fancy, it's my file so I can quickly post a response on other forums when someone just needs to know it's legit to screw something to the foregrip.  Sometimes I tell em they can attach the swivel anywhere, but I want to include a photo so they know my advice is legit.

Sometimes someone beats me to the punch and proclaims swivels don't go on vertical grips.

When I have time I want to get some clear photos of how Thompsons were sent to the FBI....Sent to the FBI destined to live a very comfortable life in a case......So then I can send two pictures and start to show they can put stuff different places and not be 'wrong'.

• 1 month later...

Different era, and Australian Navy not British, here is a photograph of an Australian Sailor on HMAS Duchess with a TSMG in c1964.

HMAS Duchess  c1964.jpg