Removal Question of Several Parts: Barrel & Stock

This looks to be a minor job, but wanted to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. 

Is removal of the barrel easy? Does the nut every freeze, requiring a lot of force to remove? Will I need to reset headspace afterwards if I install a replacement? 

My second question involves replacing a broken stock bushing, the one with the rachet teeth. I'm having a devil of a time removing the small pins that secure the shoulder piece. The animated breakdown video found online show the pins being driven from inside the arm to out. Because of the clearance, there is no way I can get my punch at that angle. Can I punch the pins through in the opposite direction, starting from outside the arms and going inward?

Here's your seller's web page on this gun. The photos can be enlarged.

German MP40 Machine Gun (SOLD) (blackwidowfirearms.com)

JMHO, but I wouldn't worry much about the finish being largely gone. That's normal for these guns as the original hot dipped blue was not a durable finish. It's mostly gone on any gun that was actually issued at the time.

There are several excellent smiths on these boards. I'd consider sending the gun to one of them for the work it needs. You have an investment to protect.

If you're wanting to remove the folding stock in an effort to tighten it up, know that some movement is normal. These stocks were not designed to lock up tight and didn't even when they left the factory. If the original factory parts staking is intact here and there, count yourself among the lucky!

2 hours ago, TSMGguy said:

>JMHO, but I wouldn't worry much about the finish being largely gone. That's normal for these guns as the original hot dipped blue was not a durable finish. It's mostly gone on any gun that was actually issued at the time.<

It is certainly fair to ask what basis in fact supports this assertion? How did you arrive at this conclusion? I ask simply because my exposure to MP40s is very limited compared to the numbers produced and as a long time MG gunsmith and collector, it may number around 200 original examples but 98% of them had, at least between 60% and 95% of their original bluing with many looking very good. There might have been one or two MP40s, overall, virtually all in the "white", such as the one pictured that I encountered in so many years.
I would also say that it is likely that every MP38/40 produced was issued with the exception of some ceremonial examples or? If there are any confirmed "unissued" examples of MP40s in the NFRTR I would enjoy seeing them. 
I find the statement very confusing and completely contrary to many years of hands-on experience owning, studying and working on MP40s. FWIW

The original finish as applied to MP40 SMG's and MP40 parts produced during WWII was a hot dip salt blue prior to the late war bonderizing process. The original MP40 receivers were stamped, formed and then welded together unlike the MP38 receivers that were a machined tube. Whatever finish was on the metal after forming was the finish on the metal after being blued. No parts were brushed, finish milled, or otherwise prepped, just the natural metal finish. Little care was used in finishing other than degreasing prior to bluing. Wear was a fact of life. An original MP40 with most or all of its original finish saw little use at the time. 

7 hours ago, Mad Machinist said:

Don't sweat the barrel ....headspace isnt an issue on blowback guns.

Hence the dropinability of the PPSH, M79, M45 and other SMG barrels. Great point.

Thanks for the reassurance on headspace. As you can tell, I'm quite new with the MP40 and am trying to absorb as much knowedge as possible. Surprisingly, I couldn't find much information where users would post repair videos. 

12 hours ago, Sgt said:

Thanks for the reassurance on headspace. As you can tell, I'm quite new with the MP40 and am trying to absorb as much knowedge as possible. Surprisingly, I couldn't find much information where users would post repair videos. 

I would suggest that this is because the guns, if matching etc. are of high value and hence the cost of having a competent gunsmith (like andrewski) do the work is small compared to the potential harm we could inflict by doing it ourselves. 

I'm seriously contemplating haveing a set of wrenches for barrel nut removal/torque either lasered or water jetted......if any one is interested in a set......probably make them from 1/4 AR500, let me know. No idea on pricing at them moment, need to get drawing generated and sent out to my laser guy.

Edited by Mad Machinist

On 3/23/2023 at 10:40 PM, Mad Machinist said:

I'm seriously contemplating haveing a set of wrenches for barrel nut removal/torque either lasered or water jetted......if any one is interested in a set......probably make them from 1/4 AR500, let me know. No idea on pricing at them moment, need to get drawing generated and sent out to my laser guy.

I'll just drive down to you shop and borrow yours!