M3 retracting pawl spring

WCG

Hi Guys,

My M3 had no retracting pawl spring when I got it. but I managed to get a couple of them after many months.

Problem is, I'm not sure how it fits.

I'll try to describe it...

Assuming the retracting pawl is supposed to be sprung up against the underside of the bolt, then you would expect the spring to be flat when unloaded, and wound in a more acute angle when tensioned. But the new ones have the legs of the spring side by side, which naturally makes it close together like jaws, so if fitted like that the pawl would be sprung down.

Has anyone got a photograph of the spring fitted correctly in place?

548190.jpg

2 hours ago, WCG said:

Hi Guys,

My M3 had no retracting pawl spring when I got it. but I managed to get a couple of them after many months.

Problem is, I'm not sure how it fits.

I'll try to describe it...

Assuming the retracting pawl is supposed to be sprung up against the underside of the bolt, then you would expect the spring to be flat when unloaded, and wound in a more acute angle when tensioned. But the new ones have the legs of the spring side by side, which naturally makes it close together like jaws, so if fitted like that the pawl would be sprung down.

Has anyone got a photograph of the spring fitted correctly in place?

548190.jpg

I just happen to have a complete M3 lower and will take pics of it tonight an post. That should do it.!

Thanks so much for posting the photos,

That confirms what I thought, the spring supplied is not correct, it's wound the wrong way. the odd squared-off leg would be on the left not the right if installed like yours.

Yours looks like the squared-off leg goes down on the right, then along the top and through the aperture, and the short leg is pushing up on the pawl.

I bet if the spring was out it would be both legs pointing in opposite directions from the coil, not parallel like the one I have been supplied.

Anybody got the correct one?

18 hours ago, WCG said:

Thanks so much for posting the photos,

That confirms what I thought, the spring supplied is not correct, it's wound the wrong way. the odd squared-off leg would be on the left not the right if installed like yours.

Yours looks like the squared-off leg goes down on the right, then along the top and through the aperture, and the short leg is pushing up on the pawl.

I bet if the spring was out it would be both legs pointing in opposite directions from the coil, not parallel like the one I have been supplied.

Anybody got the correct one?

My pleasure. Anytime.