Fed labs Case on GB

Given it's condition I have no idea. IIRC good ones have been in the $800-$1000 range

You might want to contact Greg Fox (Screen name 1921A on this board) and ask him what it would cost to do a complete relining or even a complete refurb then watch the auction and bid accordingly

FWIW if it were mine I'd do the relining but leave the exterior as is.  It's had some hard use but that adds to its authenticity

Edited by StrangeRanger

Actually, I had Greg make me a case for my Reising Model 50 but that case is so darn nice I don’t take it to the range. But, I like your suggestion of contacting Greg and see if he would reline the case on GunBroker.
     If you happen to know of or come across one of these original Federal Laboratory cases for the Reising that is for sale I would be interested. In the mean time I will watch the GB auction.

Steve

10 hours ago, mpdphil said:

Think I’ll bid on it for my early model 60. I’ll just drill a hole in the side for the barrel to protrude. 😎

Please tell me that you're joking. That case has significant value to a Reising collector.  Butchering it to accommodate an M60 would be sacrilege.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 9:42 PM, mpdphil said:

Think I’ll bid on it for my early model 60. I’ll just drill a hole in the side for the barrel to protrude. 😎

Save the box. Get your tax stamp then just saw 6" off the barrel.  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You mean like when the shill bidders jump in at the last minute and bump the price 20%?  That never happens on a Sienna auction does it? 🙄

Current price is $505 which seems about right given that it will need to be relined.  Don't know what that would cost but I expect the final product would be in my expected $800-$1000 range -  unless there is a last minute feeding frenzy. 

• Like 1

It's a conundrum, If it sells for $700 (which is where I'd put it) you have a decent case with a ratty interior.  Put some time and money into relining it, and you've just made it unoriginal, nicer, but with no increase in value since it's no longer original.   I've not seen that handle design on any cases before, so it may be a vintage replacement as well?

$700 would be realistic and probable in todays wacky market But being what and who it is it will go for, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm $918.32! Let’s see. 😉

Sold at $1375 at 8:58 PM

Fun fact: the "losing" bidder has had no feedback in his GB account since Nov 2018 and only one transaction since Nov 2016.  Do you think that might set off some alarm bells at GB?

I won't say he was definitely a shill but this kind of thing happens with too great a regularity on Sienna's auctions.

Edited by StrangeRanger
correction
  • Like 1

Years ago mid 80s I went over to a MG dealers house to pick up some 38 reloads that he sells.   He had just came  from somewhere back east and bought the States inventory of Reisings that the Highway Patrol carried in their patrol cars.   He had two pickup trucks of  Reisings in the  Fed Cases and 8 Thompson's.   He said to me that he got a good deal and the cases could bring him and I forget it was 150 or 250 each,,, he was proud of the cases that came with the Reisings.   It was just a big ass stack of cases with Reisings in them sitting in his big safe room he has.    The good ole days !!     That was before my state allowed MG ownership. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this, but am not al all surprised at the price the case sold for.  Available cases are few and far between now.  I expect that $1K is the current low, and nice ones would probably be between $1500 to $2K.

I too passed up a Reising in the late 80's for $800 with case, and I could have had a pick of at least a dozen cases at that time.  I ended up buying one in 2007 from a seller on Sturm with one of the nicest cases I've seen.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com