I've been looking for a Sten manual.  I bought a copy of Small Arms Training Vol. I, Pamphlet No. 22 Sten Machine Carbine but it's basically a course outline for training in use of the Sten.  Given the lack of detail in it's 12 pages of text I would guess that it was probably intended more for the Home Guard than for the Army.

I want something a bit more technical and a lot more complete.  The books by Peter Laidler, Ian Skennerton and Frank Iannamico are all out of print and probably aren't really what I'm looking for at the moment.  Is there a British military manual that I should be searching for?

I just ordered this from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Sten-Machine-Carbine-ANON/dp/1847348203/ but  It looks like it could be useful but I'm still looking

Edited by StrangeRanger

Most of what you find on the web are the identification lists.
I have a PDF of the "STEN MKII General Instructions" but the site won't let me upload PDF files.
So I will try copying and pasting the text of each page..
The other pages are pictures of the parts, and not hard to find out on the web.

Richard

image.png.b271d9acc7dc08acac25057476e87c87.png

image.png.36729d702faefdd294551581480788f6.png

image.png.8302f6522e07198ff25d4f3f8d40f52d.png

image.png.71824079bdd876099dbdadb82d567781.png

image.png.7c3da82d42807dfa6a916e870ab0721c.png

image.png.fa1728abcad78a40400d38bbad49205c.png

image.png.fb463a2b5f2914c07988109583ae2562.png

image.png.a5c6e628d47acf6122ba8d62c7a722c1.png

image.png.e23c20a7212a1a0e91979233268e4056.png

The Skennerton manuals are pretty complete with a lot of tech info and parts diagrams.   While they may be out of print, it does not mean they are out of stock.  Good selection on ebay.

They are probably the best manuals available currently on many British guns as far as tech specs and info goes, and the prices are a good value IMO. 

Richard,

I found a downloadable copy of that mini-manual on line but the quality of the original scan was even worse than yours.  It's barely readable and I had to rely on context to decipher some of the words.  Not good.

Johnson,

Thanks for the info on Skennerton's book.  I haven't been able to put hands on a copy so I wasn't sure what I'd be buying.

10 minutes ago, StrangeRanger said:

Richard,

I found a downloadable copy of that mini-manual on line but the quality of the original scan was even worse than yours.  It's barely readable and I had to rely on context to decipher some of the words.  Not good.

Johnson,

Thanks for the info on Skennerton's book.  I haven't been able to put hands on a copy so I wasn't sure what I'd be buying.

Did you try clicking on the first page and opening the individual images?
I can read it just fine on my laptop.
Now, a phone might be another problem.

What info are you actually trying to find out about, a specific model or problem?
If you are looking for the armorer's instructions there is a couple of retired British and Commonwealth Armourer's on GunBoards in the British section that should have documents and notices that were sent out about the STEN.

Richard

The copy that you posted is pretty good, thanks you for that. I was referring to the one that I had found on line that was almost unreadable.  I'm not looking for anything specific just something comprehensive on the mechanicals including some basic operator-level troubleshooting etc.  The gun is incoming and I wanted to be read up on the subject before it arrives

8 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

The copy that you posted is pretty good, thanks you for that. I was referring to the one that I had found on line that was almost unreadable.  I'm not looking for anything specific just something comprehensive on the mechanicals including some basic operator-level troubleshooting etc.  The gun is incoming and I wanted to be read up on the subject before it arrives

Got it!  I understand now, and can relate as I do the exact same thing with any new addition to the "accumulation"
In the case of the STEN's I had handled so many of the parts kits before actually owning the SMG most all of the "mystery" was gone.
Having a copy of Peter Laidler's book on the STEN Machine Carbine is where I read about the background of the STEN, and also drove my interest in the STERLING L2A3.

Richard

• 6 months later...