Questions regarding M1A1

I'm seriously considering buying an M1A1 and have 2 questions for those on this website more knowledgeable than I am about that particular Thompson model.  My questions are:

1.  Does the riveted  version of the front grip mount on the M1A1 accept the vertical forearm?

2.  Is there a source for parkerized barrels, either finned or unfinned,  with the Cutts compensator?

Thanks a bunch

Why would you want a finned barrel with a Cutts compensator on a M1A1?

Do you have any versions of American Thunder by Frank Iannamico?

https://www.amazon.com/American-Thunder-Military-Thompson-Machine/dp/0982391870?ref_=ast_author_mpb

Yes, a two-piece riveted. Grip mount can be used with a horizontal or vertical grip. But if I was changing the barrel, I would use the stronger, one piece grip mount.

thompsonbarrels.com will sell you any style barrel and thread it if you like. I do not know if they offer parkerizing. 

Edited by JJX

If you want a vertical grip and finned barrel with comp then get a USGI 1928. An M1 or M1A1 that someone tries to make into a 1928 wanna be typically doesn’t turn out looking good and if you ever went to sell it, will command less demand than one that was left alone as most don’t have to tools or knowledge on how to swap barrels. 

Personally I love the look of an M1 or M1A1 with the barrel band on it. To me that is what a “correct” gun should look like. 

5 hours ago, JJX said:

Yes, a two-piece riveted. Grip mount can be used with a horizontal or vertical grip. But if I was changing the barrel, I would use the stronger, one piece grip mount.

thompsonbarrels.com will sell you any style barrel and thread it if you like. I do not know if they offer parkerizing. 

Thank you for this.....I have contacted them.

23 hours ago, JJX said:

Hello JJX, would you send me your email address please?

Get one (or more) of each.  I agree, leave as-is.  Altered Thompsons seem to have bad mojo.  I supplied a few FA guns for a memorial fund-raising shoot this past Sunday that included a 28A1 w/vertical grip.  Only brought 20 rd mags and drums as a 30 rd mag, in my mind, is out of place with vertical grips.    

If you want a Thompson that looks like a 1928, why not just get a 1928?

I don't understand why people frankenstein an M1A1 into a 1928.  What is the point?

It's like if you went to the dealer, bought a brand new Chevy Camaro and then but Ford Mustang badges all over it.  Just get a Mustang.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 2:24 PM, RoscoeTurner said:

Usually people wanting to play dress up.

To each his own, but M1 Thompsons that have 1928 parts on them have a certain... "not pleasantness" to them, IMHO.

I'm guessing that the OP has a line on buying an M1 from a friend, maybe getting a really good deal, but he actually wants a 1928 model.

personally, once I bought an M1A1, I became very fond of it and now kind of prefer it to the 1928.  People think it's a "stripper" version but it's actually a product improvement.  Also, it was a key USGI weapon for the second half of WWII, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by Doug Quaid