BNZ42 numbered barrel thread protector?

12 minutes ago, madmax1299 said:

So my barrel thread protector (BTP) has elector pencil of the last 3 serial numbers of the mp40. I can’t image that was the standard method for this early in the war but I could be wrong, thanks!

Absolutely correct. Mine is elector penciled with the last three also. I have to hold the part at just the right angle to see it, but it's there!

Most people don't know this part was matched also!

38 minutes ago, madmax1299 said:

So my barrel thread protector (BTP) has elector pencil of the last 3 serial numbers of the mp40. I can’t image that was the standard method for this early in the war but I could be wrong, thanks!

Here is mine. It's a bnz 41, SN: 1159

The thread protector (and that is for blank firing adaptors, not silencers) is elector penciled "159"  Look close.

Bnz 41 SN 1159.jpg

1 minute ago, madmax1299 said:

And logic on when they would stamp vs electro pencil?

Zero clue, maybe due to the small circumference it was difficult to stamp, maybe the part was added in the field, who knows.

What I do know is that the electro pencil was used for this part. Odd, I know.

My all matching bnz 41 MP40 has the last three digits of the serial number electro penned on the muzzle nut as well. There's a thread about this on a different forum where contributors are sure that the number was acid etched. I don't think so.

MVC-095S.JPG