Good evening everyone! Hope everyone in the forum is staying warm as we’ve got -7° temps goin on out here in Kansas. 

So Deerslayer has been doing a project for me after he put his magic touch on a semi M1 Thompson clone. After some talking we decided to do a 21AC semi clone as well. Unfortunately as many of us know Kahr is no longer offering the round knurled ball cocking handle. All they offer is that large barrel shaped knurled cocking handle that some refer to as the “cheese grater”. 

Now the project is coming to a close and Deerslayer did an awesome job reshaping one of those “cheese grater” cocking handles. I just wanna put out some feelers though and see if anyone possibly has an extra knurled ball cocking handle that they would be willing part with. Below is the part I am looking for.

IMG_2303.thumb.jpeg.da03ae1ec764fc47377cdd19cb8f739b.jpeg

Below is a few pics of my M1 and the 21AC being completed so far! Deerslayer, if you read this thank you for all of your hard work! 

IMG_1086.thumb.jpeg.6d47a8d14b35d1aa9f24fc36a59fb6a5.jpegIMG_1090.thumb.jpeg.db7cddf8fbbd7c0fa2362a5df36e4be7.jpeg20240113_161820.thumb.jpeg.113e02895b93fc71a3905b4c0eda7370.jpeg20240114_151052.thumb.jpeg.654c9d1a69445ddfbe887d8b726d5ecb.jpeg

I'm gonna have to look this up, but I vaguely recall that someone on this forum was offering to make some, start to finish. Then again, I've been known to be wrong, quite often. There was someone else making receiver vices & barrel wrenches more than a year ago. Of that, I am sure. I got a set, which work quite nicely. My only issue was the nuts on the wrench need to be grade 8, instead of whatever they were out-of-the-box.

Karl, 68coupe

Edit: I did a search. It seems the machinist that was making them has passed.

Edited by 68coupe
Correction/Additional info

I reshaped my handle into a ball years ago, but still have to put it into the lathe and knurling with the knurling tool.  It's been waiting for 24 years to get 10 minutes work to finish this last detail off.  Typical project.

• Like 1

I just contacted Kahr this morning concerning the part and got a hold of a fella in the service department. He told me they stopped producing those cocking knobs about 2 years ago. I also asked about NOS or dead stock parts and was told they didn’t have any.

So I reached out to Ravenna Armory about making some. They responded by saying they weren’t really interested in producing them, but check with Indianapolis Ordnance. I’m waiting to hear back from Indianapolis Ordnance now.

I feel like a historically accurate aftermarket cocking  knob would be pretty popular among the semi Thompson community.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 11:30 AM, M40scoutsniper said:

I just contacted Kahr this morning concerning the part and got a hold of a fella in the service department. He told me they stopped producing those cocking knobs about 2 years ago. I also asked about NOS or dead stock parts and was told they didn’t have any.

So I reached out to Ravenna Armory about making some. They responded by saying they weren’t really interested in producing them, but check with Indianapolis Ordnance. I’m waiting to hear back from Indianapolis Ordnance now.

I feel like a historically accurate aftermarket cocking  knob would be pretty popular among the semi Thompson community.

Did you happen to ask why they replaced a popular part with an ugly one?

No… I didn’t even think to ask!🤦🏻‍♂️. I think we’re on to something with Indianapolis Ordnance though! They sent me a photo… 😬20240125_121019.thumb.jpeg.cd69751f4eb41e8f43cb5f24c6fea9f9.jpeg