3RD Variation New York Drum-Is this Original???

Hello Fellow Thompson Enthusiasts

I ended up with this when I bought a Colt 21 Thompson. I think its original . Is it ??

Appreciate Any Input on this. Thanks to all 

DSC06806.JPG

DSC06809.JPG

DSC06810.JPG

DSC06811.JPG

DSC06804.JPG

DSC06805.JPG

Edited by Grease Gunner

I believe it is a Worcester Pressed Steel 2nd generation L drum with a blue rotor. If so, it is a Colt era L drum. I am not sure about the winding key. It appears to be refinished. If so, that would make it shooter grade. Other forum members may have more information.  

I agree with TD’s assessment across the board. It does appear to have been refinished. Probably made circa 1929-1930. 

That's black paint from a Brit WWII paint job. They painted everything black!

My Sten has the same paint..... it's WWII vintage.

I have two of these "No number" drums and was told by Don (Omega Arms) or maybe Murray Willis that these were Colt era leftovers that ended up as Brit orders in the late 30's (37?) and painted black before issue.

Peter Laidler told me the paint was lead based and wore like iron.....as seen, it's a satin finish used to hide shiny parts, and Peter told me the Brits painted everything shiny with that stuff. Lots of Stens, Sten mags, Thompson drums and I've seen a couple Inglis Hi-Powers covered with it also.

Peter told me that Brian Dick had the original formula recreated and was using it on Enfield sniper rifle touch-ups. I'm not sure if Brian's still alive, just passing on bits of history.

Eventually it chips off with rust underneath and looks like that.

Dan Shea had several of these I passed on back in Maybe 2004 (?) At $650 a pop, blued internals, black paint and all.  The last no-number drum painted like this I saw for sale was maybe 3-4 years ago and brought $1200.

Edited by john