PPSH-41 Buffer Removal Question

I have a new to me PPSh-41 which came with a fairly beat up original looking fiber buffer. I bought a buffer technologies one to replace the old one.  I though cannot figure out how to get the little washer that is holding the current spring and buffer off.  I have searched the web and watch a few field strip computer animated videos (can not find one with person doing it). They all just show the "washer" sliding off the end of the spring guide rod. Mine is captive and will not come off.  Any thoughts on how to get it off?  Thank you.

Mine just comes off but the gun is made from Polish parts.

Be careful of the buffer tech Ppsj41 buffer. I was told not to use them in a full auto gun due to the cyclic rate increase due to the rebound the buffer has. The increased cyclic can cause over running drums.

One end of the buffer assembly is larger than the other. I use fiber buffers (original) and slide them from the barrel end onto the spring assembly. If they won't fit, then very carefully ream out a bit of material until it slides over the front  stop. It will seat firmly against the back, larger stop.

There are also two recoil assembly types, one has a spring that is larger in diameter than the other. You may have to fit the buffer because of that. 

Thank you for all the replies.  The animated video of a complete breakdown of the sub gun shows the "washer" like piece coming off but it seems that is not the case.  I the fiber buffer is original in appearance just really worn so it should just easily slid on and off the spring it seems.  Is it best practice to not use the buffer technologies synthetic buffers if only using stick magazines?  I have drums as well but I think the sticks are the easiest to use overall.

I use both drums and sticks, with the sticks easiest to load and handle. I also only use fiber OEM recoil buffers.

• 3 weeks later...

And, the end of the recoil spring assembly fits into a machined recess in the rear of the receiver, so in reality, the buffer does not have to seat against the rear recoil spring stop.