I recently picked up a Lewis Gun and am looking to buy a few cases of ammo.  I noticed on ammoseek, that they have some, but it is Indian and was wondering if any of you guys have any ideas.  I have read that some ammo has issues, and would like to know what to avoid.  Thanks

303 British FMJ MK VII 174GR FMJ (Case of 1,000 Rounds) Corrosive, Berdan Primed | The Castle Arms

Hmm. IMHO running "inexpensive" Third World manufactured ammo in Expensive Class 3 F/A weapons is not a good idea.

In other words do not run crap ammo through your nice Lewis gun and expect good results.

Can lead to some expensive repairs.

If you would not drink the water in that country probably best not to use ammo made there.

If you can find it the Greek HXP ammo is great, reloadable brass.

South African .303 from the 1980s was on the market, good stuff, Berdan brass.

Of course modern Privi Partizan is the Cat's Meow.

Had a small lot of Canadian 1942 & 1943 dated stuff. Boxer primed, good brass. Ran good 10 years ago . Took some out last year, had 2 dud primers out of about 100 rounds fired. Guess the primers are getting old !

Would avoid any surplus .303 made before 1960. Some British made Radway Green ammo was on the market made in the mid '60s for Vickers and BRENs. Seemed to be OK.

Need more info on the Turk made .303 listed on the same site as your link. 

Bottom line. At this point for .303 either get into reloading or be prepared to shell out the $$ for newer ammo.

Edited by Ivan

Bought some Indian .308 it was corrosive.  Sold it off with a warning to guys running bolt guns.  I would assume the .303 is corrosive as well. In a recoil operated Vickers, maybe but "Not in my gas gun."

Edited by StrangeRanger

I actually have a few cases of corrosive 308 that has never had an issue (just got to clean weapon more quickly).   303 is a little harder to find and I am not familiar with Indian surplus.  Have read both good and bad.   I have had bad Remington ammo in the past, so you never know.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ranger1385,

I second the Privi.  Clean and good quality.  Reloadable.  I try to stay with FMJ but it is often out of stock.  Oddly the 150gr SP runs just fine in the Bren but the 180 SP (soft point) does not run.  The 180 soft point jams when feeding in the Bren.

Congratulations on the Lewis!  That is really a prize!  Certainly a really neat firearm.  Awhile back there were some threads by board members that were shooting cast bullets at reduced velocity to save $ and wear on the 100 year old guns.  It should be a blast to shoot.

Take care,

Grasshopper