Be careful what you wish for........Researching firearms

I recently purchased a colt commando 38 special 2 inch model.  I will be sending off for a colt letter but based on the serial number was most likely manufactured late 1942 or early 43.

An Army officer put his info on the left side of the gun, his rank, serial number and Field Artillery (F.A.)

I decided to send off for his military records as a researcher (not family) and requested records based on that fact.  I just received the info today from the VA and got his payroll info.  His actual records were burned during the St. Louis Fire in the 70's and destroyed.  Same with my Dad's records from the Korea War.  My Dad  was in the 7th Calvary Reg, sent over in June 1950 but that is for another time to discuss...very sad stories and civilians killed.

Now back to my research story... I learned he had enlisted in the Army in 1942 and became an officer in 1945 which I assume OCS and then sent to Ft. Sill Oklahoma F.A AUS.   He mustered out in 1946.  It gave his civilian address on the form.  

All this is great info and was very happy but decided to look him up as I had his full name and last address.  I found out his Dad was a lawyer and have a picture of him on the net.  I then found my guy of interest and he died in 1966...a few years after I was born.  I said to myself, wow he died young and wondered if he was in an accident.  I dug a bit further and found out he was the President of a metal company and I think was suffering from M.S. and killed himself with his gun.  i think the article referenced his son found him but the info was very discrete...assume for the family.  The family was catholic and saw his headstone in a picture.   I said a lot of prayers for him today including the rosary as i am also from the "Original Church of Christ".    I hope he did not use the gun I have in my possession to commit suicide but.....

Very sad ending and wish I had a uplifting ending to tell but truly believe I received this weapon so I could say prayers for him and his family.  

Still have a heavy heart for this guy and his family.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, NFA amnesty said:

I recently purchased a colt commando 38 special 2 inch model.  I will be sending off for a colt letter but based on the serial number was most likely manufactured late 1942 or early 43.

An Army officer put his info on the left side of the gun, his rank, serial number and Field Artillery (F.A.)

I decided to send off for his military records as a researcher (not family) and requested records based on that fact.  I just received the info today from the VA and got his payroll info.  His actual records were burned during the St. Louis Fire in the 70's and destroyed.  Same with my Dad's records from the Korea War.  My Dad  was in the 7th Calvary Reg, sent over in June 1950 but that is for another time to discuss...very sad stories and civilians killed.

Now back to my research story... I learned he had enlisted in the Army in 1942 and became an officer in 1945 which I assume OCS and then sent to Ft. Sill Oklahoma F.A AUS.   He mustered out in 1946.  It gave his civilian address on the form.  

All this is great info and was very happy but decided to look him up as I had his full name and last address.  I found out his Dad was a lawyer and have a picture of him on the net.  I then found my guy of interest and he died in 1966...a few years after I was born.  I said to myself, wow he died young and wondered if he was in an accident.  I dug a bit further and found out he was the President of a metal company and I think was suffering from M.S. and killed himself with his gun.  i think the article referenced his son found him but the info was very discrete...assume for the family.  The family was catholic and saw his headstone in a picture.   I said a lot of prayers for him today including the rosary as i am also from the "Original Church of Christ".    I hope he did not use the gun I have in my possession to commit suicide but.....

Very sad ending and wish I had a uplifting ending to tell but truly believe I received this weapon so I could say prayers for him and his family.  

Still have a heavy heart for this guy and his family.

Yes, very sad. I would say that since guns are designed to kill, many of the guns we own and collect would have a similar history. I can't imagine what my 1944 PPSH, or 1942 TSMG or my bnz 41 MP40 would tell.