Thompson B And B1 Cases

I was reading last night about about the Thompson canvas cases in anticpation of purchasing one and was wondering who made the WW2 B and B1 cases. None of my reference books say. The original Colt gun case were made by Mills and /or Russco but what about the later cases? Should the later B and B1 case be maker marked? Thanks for the information. Rob

Rob,

Do you have a picture of a WWII Thompson canvas case in the B or B1 style? I thought Rusco and Mills made all of these types of canvas cases until a picture of this type of case, green in color and marked TWEEDS 1944, was shown in Thompson Collectors News (TCN), Vol. 146-7. The TWEEDS case was later referenced again in TCN Vol. 152-4. The only other cases I know of in this style are recent reproductions - like the ones currently being offered by IMA. I don't think anything definitive has been learned about the TWEEDS 1944 case so it is possible it is a reproduction too.

i have the straw colored cases, mills, rusco, and ummarked, original and modified for XXX mags; I have not been able to find a Tweeds 44 case yet...though I continue looking.

1921a:

I believe RKR was not talking about the later WW2 cases for the M1 and M1A1 Thompsons(which were sometimes used for the 1928s) but rather the pre WW2 type cases with the pouch for the butttock and 4 XX mags...those cases were used in WW2 ...both marked and unmarked...and sometimes modified for XXX mags with the addition of a longer mag pouch flap...and additionally there was a WW2 1928 type case...made in dark green OD fabric in the same pattern as the pre war cases..and marked "Tweeds 44"

Hugh

Are you saying you have a B or B1 case that is totally devoid of any markings, marker or otherwise? The case I am looking at has no markings of any kind, is the old straw color with GI snaps and does not have the D ring on the back. Looks like it is very old and does not resemble the ones IMA is selling. Thanks