Not Stripping Cartridges

slowfinger

What should I look for? the mg42 will not strip cartriges and the stripper nose looks ok and everything is in 8mm configuration, semi that is. Bolt and barrel lock up fine...just can't get any ammo into the barrel? Help....Slowfinger http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

• 2 weeks later...
you need to make sure the belt is clean and also the ammo is in good shape. also i lube my ammo that i am going to shoot that day, typically with case resizer spray to make it operate more reliably. i believe most belted german ammo in wwii was waxed for this reason according to folke's book

If you are going to lube anything lube with a dry spray the belt and not the cartirges, this may cause problems with extraction down the round as the casing cannot adhere to the breech with a film of oil on it- not sure if resizing lube is oil based or not so do what works for you but its easier to just spray the belt-

However, unless you are shooting .308 in old WWII 8mm belts this lubing may be the only thing that helps provided all other bolt head components are in proper order. 308 is fatter than 8mm so you could try some of the new DM1 belts made for the Nato 308.

Other suggestion is to change your recoil spring might be weak.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...