1921 Colt

So whats the deal with the Colt '21 #1769 from Florida advertised on Gunbroker? Opening bid of $65,000 ?!?! Seems to me that the last time I saw it up fpr auction the opening bid was $45,000 or something. Is it one of those rare models that is really made of solid gold, but painted to look like wood and steel? I know its a Colt, but that seems crazy (even with that pile of stuff included).

ZLP

Well maybe since it has been on there for ever and no bids maybe he thought by raising the price he might get a bite ! Or maybe he is just making his x-wife happy ? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

This gun has been for sale by owner for a lot of years. It is in about 85% condition with a noticeable ring (bulge) in the barrel. I considered buying it as an inventory/shooter piece back in the late 80s when the asking price was under 3K. Supposedly, it has ties to the prohibition era and eventually became the personal property of a former states attorney from the Daytona area.

Considering the "asking" prices for Colt Thompsons today, it's probably worth 20-25K for the gun. If I remember correctly, most of the acccessories are WWII vintage.

Probably one of those people that throw a huge hook (too big to catch any little fish) with a big piece of bait out in the ocean with the only intention of landing one huge fish/sucker. Basically, an all or nothing deal. All it takes is just one uneducated Thompson person with cash and there are plenty of them out there.