Perfect Weekend

Phil:

As to the Learjet. Nope, it just so happens that every Lear built is approved for turf, not that it matters because even though we're Lear typed (with 3000+ hrs PIC) the biggest machine we fly now is our Mitsubishi Solitaire.

But no never mind it's all fun and we love them all.

Phil,

MU-2 is a poor selection of a box to ride into a smoking hole. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I almost bought one about ten years ago, could have got it real cheap, the owner crapped himself when the autopilot servo failed and just about kilt him. One issue they had is a servo clutch/bind problem that would not allow the pilot to override pitch down....

Here is a link;

MU-2

Tancredo Says Officials Not Acting Fast Enough In Regards To Mitsubishi MU-2

DENVER -- Rep. Tom Tancredo on Friday said he wants top officials of the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board replaced for what he calls a "failure to act responsibly for hundreds of deaths."

This specifically involves an airplane that was the focus of a 7NEWS investigation -- the Mitsubishi MU-2.

7NEWS began investigating the safety of the MU2 after back-to-back crashes near Centennial Airport in which three pilots died.

Since the 7NEWS investigation ran in October of last year four more MU-2s have crashed, killing six people. Industry reports show that the aircraft has among the worst fatal accident rate of any similar twin-engine turbo-prop.

The exact cause of the most recent crash is not known but pilots and witnesses of previous crashes have reported engine problems before the planes became unstable, rolled and crashed.

Many believe the MU-2 has a deadly design flaw, 7NEWS Investigator John Ferrugia said.

Others blame the crashes on untrained pilots.

This week, Tancredo sent a letter to President George W. Bush asking him to consider replacing the top officials with the FAA and NTSB, saying, "As far back as the spring of 2005, I asked the FAA to 'ground' the Mitsubishi MU-2 series aircraft due to its shockingly high accident rate. Because [they] have consistently failed to take appropriate action on this issue despite repeated warnings about the aircrafts suitability for use, I believe the public would be well served if they were replaced by administrators willing to act swiftly and deliberately on this matter."

Tancredo will also introduce legislation to ban the MU-2 in United States airspace until a thorough safety evaluation of the plane is completed by the FAA.

Recently, the FAA said it would issue a special regulation requiring pilots to undergo specific, enhanced training to operate the airplane. Tancredo said that regulation is still not in place.

Officials with Mitsubishi claim the plane is safe, but agree it's difficult to fly without proper training. Mitsubishi and the NTSB blame most of the crashes on pilot error.

About 12 percent of all the MU-2s ever made have been involved in fatal crashes. And according to an industry report prepared for the international business aviation association, the overall accident rate of the MU-2 is about 78 percent higher than other twin-engine turbo-props in its class.

Conservative estimates indicate that as many as one-quarter of the aircraft produced have crashed, resulting in the deaths of more than 250 people in nearly 200 separate incidents in the U.S. alone, according to Tancredo's office.

Have a question or comment on this story? Have a new tip or story suggestion? Contact The Investigators. Call us at (303) 832-TIPS or e-mail us.

Previous Stories:

January 6, 2006: Another MU-2 Crash Prompts Congressman To Act

October 18, 2005: Congressmen Want MU-2 Grounded After 7NEWS' Investigation

October 7, 2005: Local Company Stands By Plane Its Pilots Died In

October 6, 2005: 7NEWS Investigates 'Pilot Error' Findings In MU-2 Crashes

October 5, 2005: 7NEWS Investigates Troubling Trend Concerning Aircraft's Safety

August 4, 2005: Cargo Plane Pilot Dies In Crash Near Centennial Airport

December 11, 2004: Victims Of Centennial Plane Crash Identified

Bob and Phil:

There is no question but that the MU2 (and especially the Solitaire) is a high performance flying machine with some real unusual flight characteristics; but so is the Learjet -- especially the 23 which is the one we were originally type rated in some 25 years ago.

You might remember that when Bill Lear originally brought out that 23 they were droppng from the sky like flies. Now it wasn't a defective design or a bad airplane. The fact is they were taking guys right out of Twin Beeches and letting them go up to coffin corner at mach .82 at Flight Level 410 without the benefit of high altitude training or simulator experiance. Unfortunately, the "experienced" pilots all were sure they were up to it and they found out they just weren't.

Remember a Lear 23 at full gross under standard conditions climbs out at 6000 ft per minute WITH ONE ENGINE SHUT DOWN! Now that's moving in anybody's book.

As far as my own experiance with the MU2 goes it's a fantastic aircraft but just like the Lear one has to stay ahead of the airplane and pay attention to the recurrent training. After all, we cruise it at 315 knots (that's over 360 mph) yet it stalls at 65 knots at light landing weight and 80 knots at full gross.

The real question to ask any pilot who doesn't like the MU2 is how many hours they have in MU2s. Experienced MU2 pilots just love the machine.

By the way, what do airplanes and Thompsons have in common? Why they are expensive high speed money to noise converters.

And that's why we like high performance- in airplanes, cars, guns, and wimmin. If you can't stay ahead you'll get bit. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Which is why I fly high performance airplanes, cars and guns. I'm sticking with wife #1. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Kevin

Being on top of the power curve is applicable in just about every hi-perf _______(insert item). I can think of several aircraft off the top of my head, P210, Malibu, V-tail Bonanza and Aerostar. I have time in those except the Malibu my buddy has, most of the time something is broke, and I have a bad juju with that one.

The insurance industry says you are 4-5 times safer in a two pilot aircraft so the 23 shouldn't have the safety record it had years ago. Think it comes down to crew management or lack of. Hard to get two fighter pilots to agree on anything except sex. This crew management thing I have first hand experience, my buddy lost his YAK to a couple of very experienced air show pilots that rode a stall to the ground, fighting the stick from both cockpits.

On the MU2A/B, you can transition a low time pilot that owned/trained in a 310 right into that left seat. Two different animals, the MU2 has spoilers for roll control, wacky confusing fuel system, bad ice issues, engines that are known for compressor stalls and the stick shaker goes off under ten knots from stall. Not to mention a hella old school instrument panel. Another problem with that engine system is with a fixed shaft turboprop one can confuse the sound of high prop speed with power. Easy to get behind the power curve during critical operation envelope, (takeoff and landing). So you can place some of the problem with the aircraft being complicated and some of the problem with the pilot. My time in the Aerostar made me a believer of being way out in front of the nose on that one.

Everybody has an opinion on some specific aircraft they had flown, worked on, owned, crashed or escaped death in. I have been around them as a pilot and mechanic for 34 years so my experience is quite limited to just a few of dozen types from J-3 to 747.

The only thing for certain I know is, if it has tits or wheels it’s gonna be a problem. Oh, and another thing I heard once, pilots are like a can of rusty, bent nails in that coffee can in the shop, you need to sort them out and find the straightest ones to use. And safety wire is made from old razor blades, thats why it hurts so much when it goes all the way to the bone http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

• 4 weeks later...

All right this string needed some reinvigorating.

So here is a video of me during that weekend taking my nephew out for some range time.

That is me on the trigger on this shot. Hard to take a video of the nephew doing same when I had to do safety duties of course.

Choice of weapon = Colt TSMG

Magazine selection = Colt C drum

Results = priceless smile on nephew's face

Range time

That was great. I had a similar week-end. A friends son, who had never held a gun let alone shot one, was at the farm. He shot a P22, a AR 15, M2 carbine, 1928 Thompson, M14, and a 10/22. Dad was very nervouse, he's not much of a gun guy. He only knows the basics, well at least he knows more now. I should have a picture or two soon.

Congrats to you guys for teaching the kids (and parents) a good thing!

Thanks what its all about!

And the reward for teaching makes it - as you said - priceless!

Thanks!

My nephew was a blown away as I was, that I managed to talk his essentially anti-gun mom (my sister) into letting him go!

After that I was shocked to have him name all my weapons in the safe, without prompt, heh that's an M4 and that's an MP5, a 1911, etc.

So I have to ask and just where did you get all this knowledge? Video Games of course, go figure.

He was too excited to slow down and take a carefully aimed shot, get having to tell him to relax. Will have to do that next time.