Erb Mp40

Well my Erb MP40 arrived at my dealer's today and the first thing I noticed were the grips were totally out of alignment. I mean they were loose and were overlapping the front strap by a good 1/4" or more. The bosses on the grip frame and the corresponding holes in the grips don't match up at all. When the top half of the grips line up reasonably with the bakelite, the angle is off 3/8" at the bottom towards the back from the front of the grip frame. Also, there is a seem weld on the bottom of the grip frame. Is this normal? If not, I may be in the market for a new grip frame. Any suggestions as I'm feeling I got burned.

Chuck

Send photos of grip frame and misaligned grips.

This may or may be the case.

Rich Urich

My bnz41 gun has the welds at the bottom of the grip frame. If your grip frame is serial numbered and has waffen ampt markings forward of the trigger guard, then original bakelite grips should fit nicely. I suspect that the problem is with the grips, not the frame.

TSMGguy,

Just behind the notched screw and set screw is the 3 digit serial number. I don't see any other markings kike I have seen on other grip frames such a cos etc. There are a couple of crimps/dents on the inside supporting ribs of the backstrap which prevent the left grip from seating fully. The grips are repros I'm sure and have the same part number coding inside as I have seen for sale on the net.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/First.../100_1882-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/First...nt/100_1904.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/First.../100_1906-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/First...nt/100_1902.jpg

Thanks

I can't believe someone had the balls to sell something with such an obvious defect without disclosing it. Grip frame must have been badly bent and poorly repaired at some point. What a scum bucket. Hope you get it fixed right, they're fun to shoot and a classic design. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/soapbox.gif

As you know, your grip frame is definately damaged. There should be no folds in the steel that supports the bakelite grips. Could this have happened in transit? Were you able to view pohtos of the gun before you purchased it?

Sorry to be of so little help. I can only suggest getting in touch with master gunsmith Paul Krough of Diamond "K" in Delta, CO. He will have the necessary skills to repair this if anyone can. His contact informaton is elsewhere on this web site, or I can dig it up for you. He's done fabulous work for me.

Photos were provided but only with the grips attached and at an angle. I, of course, had no idea of the bent frame at time of purchase.

Todd, from Ohio Rapid Fire, looked at it today and was able to tweek the frame back to it's original position and angle allowing the grips to line up with the grip frame. Obviously, this was an unexpected bump in the road to owning an MP40 and hopefully the last. The dealer I purchased this from did offer to "have it fixed" if it wasn't easily fixed on my end.

Thanks to all for their imput, suggestions and support. Now I want to shoot it but will have to wait for the approval on the second transfer'

Chuck

• 1 month later...
26 days from mailbox to mailbox for the form 4, not bad !! Now that the grip frame is back in spec I'm looking forward to shooting it. Hope to get it out in the next few days and put some rounds down range. Wish me luck that all my troubles are behind me. Chuck

Did you get a chance to go shooting?

Quite often these guns have issues with extraction and feeding. The first fix is to feed it ammo with the right bullet weight of 124 gr., and then work on other items such as magazines and extractor if needed. These guns seem love any NATO spec ammo, or Russian steel cased ammo with the appropriate bullet weight.

• 2 weeks later...

TSMGguy,

Yes I got to shoot it and my disapointments continued. I had serious extraction issues. Ammo? Nope, no extractor !! That will do it everytime. The seller says he'll send me one from one of his parts kits. I guess it's in the mail. I did borrow an FBP recoil assembly (sold at IMA-USA) and put some rounds downrange. No problems with Winchester White box or Independance ammo, both 115 grn FMJ. The UMC ammo ran away however. I had an idea that would happen with the UMC ammo since I dealt with that at a shoot in Indiana running it in an MP41. Once I get the extractor (found another one so I'll have an extra) I'll finally have a complete package that works.

Chuck

If the main spring was not changed out in the FBP recoil assy., it will run away as the spring is a lot stiffer than the german one. Either put the orig. spring in from your gun or get an aftermarket replacement one that is correct and it will work 100%. The stiff spring keeps the bolt from coming back far enough for it to catch the sear unless you are using really hot ammo. Dan

Thanks Dan.

I'll run it with the regular spring and the UMC ammo and see if that does the trick. As far as a replacement spring for the FBP assembly, should I get a regular replacement spring for an MP40? Wolf springs or another brand?

Thanks again..Chuck

I have an Chas Erb MP40 and my seller also said to use 124 grain ammo and lots of oil to function properly.

It worked pretty well but would stovepipe about once per mag with 124.

I tried 115 grain and it runs perfect.

I've since tried several brands of standard ball 115 grain and it never fails with 115.

YMMV

just load about 5 rounds and try both before you buy bulk

Couple of movies of me and my daughter to tide you over.

http://media.putfile.com/KaraMP40

http://media.putfile.com/BuckMP40

Thanks for the video's, they will have to tide me over. Howard, from JB Arms, the seller, told me he'd get back with me ref. an extractor on April 8th. To date I have heard nothing !!! Looks like it was my turn to get bit. Between the bent grip frame and the extractor, I've learned a lot on this deal !! Got the other extractor on the way so at least I'll have one to shoot with.

Thanks to all for the input and support ; I'll get her running. Chuck

It can be a real chore to get these guns to run. There was originally much more hand fitting than you might think, with some wide variations among gun and componant contractors. Virtually all parts were serialed, down to the smallest items. Quality plummeted as the war went on and manufacture was decentralized.

My first MP40 was a parts gun on an Inland receiver. It looked great but took time to sort out. I finally got it to run fairly well with any full power 124 gr. or M882 NATO spec ammo. (What you buy in the gun shops is loaded to SAMMI specs and is underpowered for the guns.) Using the sights, the gun shot very high right and nothing could be done about it. This was a shame as the MP40 is one of the few sub machineguns that is so controllable that using the sights is practical.

The parts gun got sold when I found a nice all matching BNZ 41 gun. I acquired six original correct Steyr '41 mags including a couple that appeared unused. This gun has been completely reliable. It is tight and the bolt slides like butter. Since the barrel nut has never been loosened, the original factory targeting is undisturbed. It is not picky about lubrication. I think that you might eventually want to trade up to such a gun.

• 1 month later...

I did finally get the extractor "after" I returned from a shoot in Texas. In between fishing and other trips I was able to run some differant ammo thru it with he FBP bolt and it functioned perfectly. I think I'll just be specific with the ammo and should have no problems. I let a guy who runs the range shoot it and he had no problem putting them in the X ring shooting short 2-3 round bursts.

I am keeping my eyes open for a nice C&R gun so I can move up from this shooter. Thanks for everyones imput and assistance. Chuck