Reising Data Base

levallois

All have been entered. We now have an even 40 Model 50s in the DB. There has to be more than that out there?

John

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to move this back to the top so people can see that it is not dead.

I'm still collecting this info. and I will be happy to share with anyone that wants a copy.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Doug,

Beautiful M60!! I need to get one of these someday.

I put it in the DB.

John

• 1 year later...

BTT

Sorry for ignoring the forum but I've been dealing with some family problems that have died down a bit.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Found this one at the office.

S/N - 160

Commercial type

No proof on barrel

Upturned safety

No stock pins or bolts

No finger grooves

Flat slotted takedown screw

29 fin barrel

Blued finish

Sling swivels on the bottom

2 screw trigger guard

non adjustable front sight

large mag well

The top address has 4 lines of information.

Edited by Tman

Found another one buried in the back.

s/n - L1614

Military

no proof on barrel

upturned safety

stock bolts front and rear

no finger grooves

knurled takedown screw

14 fins

parked finish

bottom swivels

3 screw trigger guard

adj. front site

big mag well

This gun looks like it was reimported at some time by IAC in Sacremento CA. Also the top address has 3 lines of info.

• 2 weeks later...

Tman,

Thanks for the two additions to the DB! Your first one has the lowest serial number thus far. Does the second one really have an "L" preceding the serial number?

John

The BarryinIN post in the poll on Reising proof marks brought home the point that a lot of detail is being left out. So, I'd like to propose that we start to collect and maintain a Reising database with all these little nuances in an Excel spreadsheet that will be available either on this site (I'll talk to Nick I. about this) or for the asking by anyone who is a member of this forum. I would be happy to do this.

If you like this idea, then send me the following info about your gun:

serial number - within a few hundred is fine

general type - military, commercial, or transitional

Proof marks - none. only a P, or a P + letters/numbers and punch mark

Safety switch - downturned ends or upturned ends

Cross pins in stock - yes or no

Finger grooves in stock - yes or no

Knurled take-down nut - yes or no

Barrel type - 26/28 or 14

Finish - blued, parked or can't tell

Swivels - bottom, side or none

Trigger guard - 2 screw or 3 screw

Adjustible screw front sight - yes or no

Magazine well type - 20 round or 12 round

I've already got 14 Reisings in the DB but we need more as only two are privately owned guns - the rest are guns that are for sale on various websites, etc.

I will not put anyone's name with their gun. I know some folks like to keep this stuff private so you can send me a PM rather than post it here if you want.

Thanks!

John

Tman,

Thanks for the two additions to the DB! Your first one has the lowest serial number thus far. Does the second one really have an "L" preceding the serial number?

John

Yes, I seen it with my own two eyes. It may have been put on by IAC when the reimported it. The stamping looks a little off.

Tman,

John

Yes, I seen it with my own two eyes. It may have been put on by IAC when the reimported it. The stamping looks a little off.

I believe the Reisings made in the 1950s had letter prefexes including "L".

Jim C

• 4 weeks later...

Levallois, I just took delivery on this one last week:

Serial #: S50xx

General Type: Military

Proof marks: No proof or punch marks on barrel

Safety: Has upturned ends

Cross pins in stock: Yes

Finger grooves in stock: No

Take down screw: Knurled

Barrel type: 14 fin

Finish: Parkerized

Swivel location: On bottom of stock.

Trigger guard: 3 screw

Front sight: Has an adjustment screw

Magazine well: 12 round

Just the characteristics one would expect on S serial number gun.

Edited by DixieTriggerMan

DTM,

Your Reising has been entered - than you.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Here is another to put in the data base. It is a Pre 86 Dealer sample.

serial number – L1491

general type - military

Proof marks - none

Safety switch - upturned ends

Cross pins in stock - yes

Finger grooves in stock - no

Knurled take-down nut - yes

Barrel type - 14

Finish - blued

Swivels - bottom,

Trigger guard - 3 screw

Adjustible screw front sight - yes

Magazine well type - 20 round

BECFA,

I've entered your Reising - thanks! The only question that I have is about it being blued? It is the only 14 fin barrel in the DB that is blued - do you think it was refinished?

There are currently 53 model 50s, two model 55s, 11 model 60s, and 4 individual barrels in the DB.

John

• 2 months later...

We now have 56 entries into the Model 50/55 (there are only two 55s) DB and 14 entries into the model 60 DB.

Nearly all the model 60s have a P proof and another letter. There are three with associated punch marks in the serial 650-1075 range

34 of the 56 model 50s/55s have a P proof and 19 of those have an additional proof letter and/or number. Interestingly, only 6 have an associated punch mark (or two) but one of these is probably a replacement barrel at serial 7200. So punch marks exist with three at the 56,000-63400 range and two in the 110,000 range. It is interesting there are so few punch marks . Frank I.'s book suggested that the punch marks may indicate USMC guns but has any more research been done with that? Thanks!

John

• 2 weeks later...

In reference to the above post:

Greetings everyone,

I own one of the Reisings in the 110000 range. I acquired this gun from my Sheriff's Office where I am employed a s a full-time Patrol Deputy. My Department bought this gun new from Fed Labs in 1942. I have all the documents including the original transfer paper to the SO. It has the P, the letter and the punch mark. It has seen very little use and still appears "new". I'm sure I've put more rounds through it than anyone ever did. I don't know if it was a holdover or ever destined to go to the Marine Corps but, I know where it has been all of it's life.

Maybe this little bit of info will be useful. The old Reising sure looks good sitting next to the ex- Birmingham PD M1 Thompson SMG in the safe. However, they look even better when out in use. :^)

• 2 weeks later...
WOW! Tex, that's terrific that they are still being used. Does your papework indicate where Federal Labs got your Reisings from? In other words, did they come straight from H&R? I'd love to enter them in the data base but I need the info in the form of the list at the beginning of this topic. Thanks!

WOW! Tex, that's terrific that they are still being used. Does your papework indicate where Federal Labs got your Reisings from? In other words, did they come straight from H&R? I'd love to enter them in the data base but I need the info in the form of the list at the beginning of this topic. Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion, the Reising was no longer in use by my Dept. That's how I got to trade them out of it. :D I do not know for sure but it would be reasonable to guess Federal Labs got it either from H&R or the military? We (the Dept.) acquired it in 1942 if this helps. I believe I added the info in your poll.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I would like to add my info in here...

reising

1. Serial # 70xx

2. General type - Commerial

3. Proof marks - P only

4. Safety switch - down turn

5. Cross pins - No

6. Finger grooves - No

7. Knurled take down nut - yes

8. Barrel type - 26/28

9. Finish - Blued

10. Swivels - none

11. Trigger guard - 3 screw

12. - Adjustible screw front sight - No

13. Magazine well type - 20rd.

Edited by jhm

Add my Reising. 1.S# 2046 2, Commerial 3. None 4.Turned down 5.cross pins ? 6.No 7.no. 8. 28 grov, 9.Blue 10. 2 swivels 11.Trig. guard 2 screws 12.Adj. front sight, no 13.Mag type, 20 rds There it is, if you want it, hope it helps out. Jim

jhm and rader - both posted in DB - Thanks!

rader-jim - there was some confusion over cross pins - based on the Reisings around yours in the DB, you probably don't have them - they would look like two areas where a round pin about 1/4-3/8" in diameter were inserted into the stock for strength, perpendicular to the long axis of the stock.

75 entries into the DB, so far!

John