M1 Thompson in the 800,000 range

I've never seen a USGI M1 Thompson with this high of serial number. It is not an XX'd out M1A1 but started life as a M1. Maybe the AOC plant in Bridgeport only had M1 bolts available on the day it serial number was rolled stamped. It serial number places it fairly late in Thompson production.

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=28982&query=retrieval

Odd, never seen one with that high of a serial number. Wonder if the arsenal that refinished it put the L sight on it too. Way too late of a serial number for that type of sight.

Andrew

Maybe they neglected to hand stamp the A1 for some reason or it simply left the Bridgeport plant as a M1 with the unprotected L sight. Possibly early parts on a late serial number may just be parts clean up? The sight rivets do look like Bridgeport factory installed rivets.

Bridgeport28A1,

it is my gun, photo is hard to see the 3 looks like an 8

the serial number is in the 300,000 range

it was discussed here on a thread

only selling because I have another M1 and I have my eye on another toy

Tommy2.jpg

That circle in the trigger housing, is that normal for an M1? I am referring to what looks like a stock retaining thingy?

If you are referring to the washer and screw on the buttstock, they were put on all stocks as reinforcement to keep them from splitting.

Andrew

I am referring to the second to last picture. I have an M1/M1a1 trigger and it does not have that. The one I have is milled without that showing. I am just wondering what a difference may be.

nfafirearms.28982.11.jpg

All original m1/m1a1 Thompson have that although that one is more visible, it is the lug that the bolt that holds the stock on is screwed into, they appear to be pressed in rather than machined​ like reconbobs are

I am referring to the second to last picture. I have an M1/M1a1 trigger and it does not have that. The one I have is milled without that showing. I am just wondering what a difference may be.

Oh, ok. Yes just like 1952HRA said except the two variations you will see are pinned and machined as one piece. The pinned ones you will see on the top, and the machined ones you will not.

For Savage, I'm not sure what serial # they switched from pinning to machining, but on my 10,574 M1 frame and my 161,349 M1 frame they are pinned so you can see it on top. On my 203,072 M1 frame it is machined as one piece. I'm not sure for AO frames.

IMG_20170614_184757.jpg

IMG_20170614_184738.jpg

As you can see, the pinned one is to the left in both pictures.

It does seem odd that they decided to switch. You would think it would be cheaper and faster to pin later in production to save money.

Andrew

Mine also has a GEG stamp towards the rear end. No serial number. As you can tell I am not real knowledgeable on the M1's. Thanks for answering. Edited by ppgcowboy

only selling because I have another M1 and I have my eye on another toy

Any reason you're selling this M1 vs the other?

Yes there is, although both guns operate flawlessly and are great examples of the M1 Thompson in great condition,

the one I am keeping is an Amnesty Registered Savage M1 with matching upper and lower serial #'s in the 59,000 range

with original Black Oxide Finish exactly as it left the factory, it doesn't even have the crossbolt in the stock because it never left the States and was never refinished.

59061LS.jpg

Edited by azboater

Nice. Any recommendations on who can do this type of oxide finish ? Thinking of having my M1 SBR done.

Anticus,

Sorry, I don't, I am sure some of the much more knowledgeable Board members will chime in on that one