Feedback on work on my AO/Kahr M1SBR

After trading an email with the folks at the Tommy Gun Warehouse about the multiple-round fires on my SBR, I drove over there this morning. The armorer confirmed it was a sear issue he would put a new one in and fit it. We also talked about the mag fit issues - he said he'd take care of that and also check the rifle over to smooth out any issues he might see.

In the end, he spent 2 hours tweaking it and then fired 60 rounds through it - everything went smoothly. He also told me that he had designed an improved mag catch that was still in prototype and not on the production models - and that since my SBR was there he put one on it.

All in all, I was really pleased with the attention that I got and the care that the armorer put into making my rifle function perfectly. No charge - told me to come back anytime if I needed anything done. I am fortunate to be within an hour's drive - having to ship a rifle back and forth would certainly make it all less fun.

Now I just need to take it out again this weekend and put some more rounds through it.

I took the M1 SB out on my range today - put another 150 rounds through it. Functioned flawlessly. I am impressed with how quickly the action cycles. I took some pics while I was firing. On this one you can see 3 shell casings in the air and the bolt closing on another round. This thing is just totally fun to shoot.

IMG_0725_1.jpg

Edited by Devious6

green grass and short sleeved shirt.

what alternate universe version of PA are you in ?

Pretty wild, huh? It was in the low 50s and sunny here yesterday and our grass is all green - up until Monday or so we were still consistently in the 60s with very little frost. I'm in northeast PA just north of Scranton.

Are you holding the mag to help feeding or just because it feels good?

Just for comfort in shooting. I was trying to put as many rounds through it as quickly as possible and it was easier to hold/control holding it there - put more rearward pressure on my shoulder.

I am currently just using two AO/Kahr magazines - one comes with the rifle and I bought another. I have 4 originals - just not sure I really want to mod them.

It has been talked about before: get a GI mag catch and modify that to run GI mags. You can keep the original mag catch for the original mags. That way you can use any GI mag which are cheaper than OE Kahr mags.

Andrew

It has been talked about before: get a GI mag catch and modify that to run GI mags. You can keep the original mag catch for the original mags. That way you can use any GI mag which are cheaper than OE Kahr mags.

Andrew

I'm waiting for one right now - will have to find he instructions on the mod.

Andrew

I'm not sure I follow your logic there. You can still buy the less expensive GI mags, vs Kahr mags. You simply elongate the hole on the mag a bit. The nice thing, is that you don't have to change out your mag catch, and you can custom fit each magazine to your mag catch, by taking off just enough metal from the mag hole until they fit right and function properly. I have heard countless stories of these guns not feeding right, mags dropping out, etc. because people put in a GI mag catch, and then hope that it will work flawlessly with every GI mag they find, but it doesn't. I'm of the mind that it's best to leave the AO mag catch as is, and modify a couple of GI mags to fit properly, and then just leave the rest of the supply of GI mags in your arsenal as is. If you feel the need to have an additional mag, you can fit it at that time.

The idea behind modifying a GI mag catch is that way you only have to do a little filing once instead of every time you get another mag. It seems to work for a lot of people and swapping a catch isn't that hard. That way if you ever decided to sell, the mags will still hold their value.

People do it both ways.

Andrew

Andrew

I'm not sure I follow your logic there. You can still buy the less expensive GI mags, vs Kahr mags. You simply elongate the hole on the mag a bit. The nice thing, is that you don't have to change out your mag catch, and you can custom fit each magazine to your mag catch, by taking off just enough metal from the mag hole until they fit right and function properly. I have heard countless stories of these guns not feeding right, mags dropping out, etc. because people put in a GI mag catch, and then hope that it will work flawlessly with every GI mag they find, but it doesn't. I'm of the mind that it's best to leave the AO mag catch as is, and modify a couple of GI mags to fit properly, and then just leave the rest of the supply of GI mags in your arsenal as is. If you feel the need to have an additional mag, you can fit it at that time.
The logic is you do not ruin an antique gi magazine! Edited by ppgcowboy

people put in a GI mag catch, and then hope that it will work flawlessly with every GI mag they find, but it doesn't.

The GI catch is milled down .10" to fit standard GI mags, PK did mine a dozen years ago and all of my mags work on the '27 and the '28 without issue, full interchangeability.