Pd Marking On Thompson 1928ac

Hello All,

Here are some photos of my Thompson 1928 AC. Typical ground off “USâ€, added “C†stamp and an “X†following the serial number on receiver. Matching upper and lower serial numbers ( AO 1500xx X ).

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/7857...MGImage1A_A.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/7857...SMGImage2_A.jpg

I added the late M1 style rear sight to replace the aluminum West Hurley 1928 Lyman style rear sight that came with it. The barrel (Savage) and stock have also been replaced. The rest is Auto Ordnance with a WWII type 1928 Cutts compensator.. Not parkerized - Finish worn a little on the outside but still blue on the inside of the receiver and lower.

Here is my Question:

Anyone know what police department used a “CPD†initial stamp???

See second series of photos...

Shoots PERFECTLY with either 30rd mags or a 50rd drum..... usually from the hip and with only one squeeze of the trigger...

Thanks,

Alan

“Rexorâ€

Rexor,

Interesting gun, the serial number doesn't look original to the gun because the stamping is different than the "Model" and "AO" roll stamp. This could have been done at some point by a previous owner because I believe that the roll stamping for the Model and AO deisgnation would more than likely have been done at the same time as the serial number.

The gun was obviously redone at some point if it had a West Hurley adjustable sight. Most original examples of these types of guns had the stamped "L" sight. The grip frame appears to have been restamped with the serial number because it isn't centered on the area behind the rear grip. Most originally stamped serial numbers grip frames have the number centered correctly, whether they have an X behind them or not. Can't see from your pictures but are the words Full Auto on one line or two? The grip frame could have been a replacement part that was never originally serial numbered and was stamped to match the frame when it was assembled.

Anyway, it's a nice gun as are all Thompson variations.

Arthur,

I know you were being "tongue-in-cheek "with the Cicero Police department. The guns could be from any municipal police agency starting with a C. Just as a historical point, the Cicero PD did have Thompsons, but to my knowledge they were all Colt guns purchased or otherwise obtained prior to WWII. I worked in a Chicago suburban police department not far from Cicero.

cicero still has the colt looks great on the outside.and inside its entire interior is pitted,including barrel...some yo-yo fired corrosive ammo, and never really cleaned it..sad...ron

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jul 22 2004, 10:32 AM)
It would be interesting to know what rear sight originaly went onto the gun, but it was of course not an aluminum WH sight. With that number, it was probably a steel adjustible Lyman. It would have been far too early for the fixed "L" Lyman rear sight.

Phil,

Would'nt a gun in the 150,000 range have had the stamped Lyman L sight?

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jul 22 2004, 09:32 AM)

It is also correct, in that the "X" was only suffixed to the number on the receiver.

PhilOhio,

I have observed two AO guns of the type you own with the X after the serial number on the grip frames. As you pointed out earlier there are no absolutes on these guns.

Rexor,

The Lyman adjustable sights from ima-usa.com are like-new. I bought one for a spare and they don't come any better. They just might have an AO barrel also, but you will have to pay a few bucks extra( and ask politely) for them to look and find one. Or maybe ohioordnanceworks.com has one or both of these items for a few bucks less. But it would be wise to get the parts you need now.

Very nice Thompson & THANKS for sharing!

Carey

QUOTE (Rexor @ Jul 21 2004, 06:14 PM)
Hello All,

Here are some photos of my Thompson 1928 AC. Typical ground off “US”, added “C” stamp and an “X” following the serial number on receiver. Matching upper and lower serial numbers ( AO 1500xx X ).

Phil,

The pic shows 1500, but I believe the last two digits were blurred out.

Hello All,

Thanks for all of the discussion.

Yes, I smudged out the last two digits of the serial number on the receiver and the lower in these photos. The serial number is six figures: AO 1500xx plus the X on the receiver. There is no extra “X†on the lower.

The bottom of the ground out “US†mark is bright metal, so I am sure that this TSMG had not been refinished.

The lower has the words " FULL AUTO" all in one line.

I have Frank’s “American Thunder†book and I have been following the TSMG discussion page for a long time. I thought you folks would find the “CPD†stamp interesting.

Alan

“Rexorâ€

QUOTE (Rexor @ Jul 21 2004, 05:14 PM)
Matching upper and lower serial numbers ( AO 1500xx X ).

Sorry,

I missed that, too. That's why I speculated that the gun may have been restamped, because an AO gun with that low of a serial number would have been made shortly after the AO Bridgeport plant opened in late 1941 and normally wouldn't have later features such as smooth barrel and stamped "L" sight which are some of the more common features on these X stamped guns.

A six digit serial number is more in keeping with the guns manufactured near the end of AO production of 1928 A1 Models.

If I missed an earlier explanation on the X suffix in an earlier thread be easy on me. An X suffix in serial number on a US military firearm was done when there were duplicate serial numbers on two firearms. This occurred typically when a contractor production run would run out their assigned serial number block into another contractor assigned serial number block.

This occurred in M14 rifle production as my agency has several TRW M14's with X suffix in the serial number in a serial number block assigned to H & R. However since Savage plant produced Thompsons and Auto Ordnance Thompsons produced at their Bridgeport plant each had a S or AO prefix included in their serial number there would not have been duplication of serial nyumbers between Savage plant and the Bridgeport plant 1928's.

Since many of these late 1928 Auto Ordnance serial numbered Thompsons with the ground out US and overstamp of the 1 to C lack military inspector acceptance stamps, the reason the X was stamped after the serial number on some of these firearms will probably remain a mystery untill someone discovers some written documentation. Possibly Auto Ordance was concerned of duplicate serial numbers and stamped the X suffix as a precaution.

The CPD stamp is very well done and not your typical straight line stamping.

All,

Oh, by the way, my 1928AC does not have the usual military acceptance stamps - also typical of TSMG 1928s sold out to the police during the WWII time frame.

Bridgeport28A1: the common explanation with 1928 TSMGs is that the "X" with the serial number on some 1928 ACs (with the "US" ground out) was an indication that the TSMG was sold to a police department. See additional posts on 1928ACs…..

However, Garands, M14s are another story. Xs were used with the serial numbers on these weapons for different reasons.

Alan

"Rexor"