M3 Windage Issue

Apparently, the factory worker who built the M3 I am buying was drunk the day he drilled the peep for the rear sight. As you can see it is offset to the left. It should come as no surprise that the gun shoots left. Is there any way to correct the issue? Who is the M3 gunsmith out there. I really like how the gun shoots and when the stamp comes in I'm going to need someone to refinish it and fix the rear sight.

post-259934-0-09052100-1457209449_thumb.jpeg

post-259934-0-27972400-1457222797_thumb.jpeg

Edited by DZelenka

Apparently, the factory worker who built the M3 I am buying was drunk the day he drilled the peep for the rear sight. As you can see it is offset to the left.

The factory worker wasn't drunk. The peep hole was drilled in different positions, it is not always exactly in the middle.

The rear sight was welded on the receiver and the hole was drilled in near the end of the manufacturing process.

DZ,

I don't know if a M3 gunsmith exists.

I can tell you this,--I have 3 barrels for my M3. One barrel shoots to the left like yours, one shoots dead on at 25 yards, and one shoots high. Its dead on at 100 yards. Naturally the barrel that shoots dead on at 25 yards is on the gun.

If you ever have an opportunity to try other barrels, don't pass it up.

I have just about all the spare parts and never needed any.

Jim C

Because of the nature of this beast , you might try some THIN brass shims between the reciever and barrel nut to see what a 1/8 to 1/4 turn out does . If it moves it toward center , great . If away , you might remove some metal to get 1/4 turn or so more till tighten up to see if it swings in a bit .

Do to the slam fire nature and lowish pressure of the case in this case , I don't think any harm can come , but this is just my thoughts .

Chris

I must say that it shoots well, other than it is off to the left. I too, have to say that your most likely going to play the barrel swap until you find one that is POA/POI. The barrel on mine shoots well even at 50 yards (hitting an IDPA reduced steel plate) What route were you wanting to go with the finish? Remember that when the guns were first built, they were zero'd with one barrel and that was the one it had for life (service use) The fact that your hole is offset leads me to guess that the original barrel most likely did shoot POA/POI but obviously this is not the case and I would guess that it is not the barrel it left GL with in the 1940's.

Now that it is warming up I plan to refinish my M3 back to black and then it will be 100% British spec (other than not having a British proofed barrel)

I watch GB for parts too. Is there anything else your looking for? I like having a spare bolt assembly (guide rods, bolt, extractor, end plate, clip, ect) and 2 mag loaders (in the event you can't find one)

I have the original British proofed barrel. Unfortunately someone cut it off at 5" with a hacksaw. I was going to use it for an integrally suppressed barrel set-up.

I picked up a NOS barrel on GB and the seller had a bunch of other parts. All of the other parts were GL marked and NOS, including a complete cocking handle assembly and complete ejection port cover assembly. I also picked up extractors, springs, trigger guard, sear and the clips that go on the face of the bolt. The price was very good, roughly 60% of what Sarco is charging and Sarco's parts are likely not NOS.

I haven't decided on the finish. I'm actually waiting to see how yours comes out.

Does anyone know how the Lend Lease guns were finished when they left Guide Lamp? After taking the gun apart and finding what I believe to be original finish on the interior and under the cocking handle assembly, I don't see evidence of the black being painted over parkerizing. Also, would that really make any sense to take finished guns and refinish them in a different color in the middle of a war? The Brits didn't do that to Thompsons, did they? I haven't done any research but is it possible the Lend Lease guns left the factory already black?

Dan

The guns were originally parked when they were shipped to England and then once they went through the proof houses they were given the Brit Black treatment.

Sitting back and waiting for the parts to show up instead of paying out the nose to guys like Sarco. I'm going to machine the armorer tools that are used for the M3. I have not had time to do so, but I hope to soon.

I have had them in all 3 finishes that Jim C describes. I don't know that the black painted ones were parked underneath, but I would assume so since they were lend lease guns. The blued one was unfired when I got it and it's still here. All that I've had were guide lamp. They are described I Frank's book.

I contacted John Andrewski about doing the restoration work and he sent me some photos of a parkerized M3A1. I don't know if the color looks authentic or not but think it looks aesthetically appealing. Is this close to an original WWII finish?

post-259934-0-63957600-1457763594_thumb.jpeg

Edited by DZelenka