Helped needed to make 1927A5 to 1928A1 Clone

New to this board, love reading through and seeing what people have available and what they've done.

Read a lot of the posts on projects similar to what I'm trying to accomplish.

Currently have a 1927A5 Pistol/Carbine with the longer barrel and I wanted to create a 1928A1 Thompson Clone out of it. I have the detachable wood stock and pistol grip from my previous 1927A1 Thomspon.

The barrel for my 1927A5 has a welded fake suppressor on it for the extra legal length, might do a Form for an SRB later so I can use the original barrel and Cutts Compensator.

I saw that the 1928 lower frame receiver can be used on the 1927s but I heard some modifications need to be made so it works. I've been looking around and can't seem to find any place that has them in stock or available.

Would it be easier to wait and see if Apex or IMA restocks or is there anyone that still does reliable custom work for the 1927 Thompsons?

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on gunbroker and saved searches but no luck. Either full non matching part kits or fake FA kits.

I've seen much of your work and would love to see what your work is. Do you have a forum page, website or commission page?

• 11 months later...

It's alright to bump my own old post right?

I'm in search of a lower reciever now for a 1927. I had mine sent off to get custom work done and I have recieved no response from the business and its been out for close to a year.

Just saw a 1927 lower go on GB for $800 like holy crap. And normal lowers are nowhere to be found.

I might even just buy a new Kahr Tommy just so I can use the lower.

I have been having a very hard time finding any trigger frames around these days, and when I do find one, they want an arm and a leg for it (saw a refinished and completely stripped M1A1 trigger frame sell for $899 at a show a few months ago). I was lucky and stumbled across a forum member here that sold me his savage 1928 trigger frame that already had the modifications to fit a 1927A1 receiver this past December. It also took me over a month of calling, emailing,and messaging a gun shop 11 hours away from me to purchase a complete Savage 1928A1 trigger frame, so I know what you mean when you say that they are few and far between. Now I will tell you that there is a nice looking complete AOC 1928A1 trigger frame on the Tommy Gun Collectibles catalog auction right now, but I would advise against purchasing it with the intent of milling it to fit a semi auto receiver as it looks very nice to my novice eyes and doing so would ruin the collector's value on it. My best advice would be to put out a new "WTB" or "ISO" post in this subforum to see if you get any leads. I would also keep an eye out on the usual places such as gunbroker and ebay for one.

It's a shame that the only place currently making 1927A1 carbines will not sell their deluxe model, detachable buttstock model trigger frames. I originally reached out to them when I started my conversion of my 1927A1 and Kahr basically told me to pound sand, so my only options were to: send my lower out to Las Cruces Gunsmith and have them do a full conversion of my pre-existing trigger frame for $900 or buy either an original or a Numrich reproduction trigger frame on the second hand market and have it modified to work on my semi auto receiver. I saved a few hundred dollars going the route I went although I agree that it sucks that original trigger frames that are modified for semi auto guns have had their collector's value ruined due to the lack of affordable alternatives. I am still trying to get a numrich made full auto Model of 1928 trigger frame for a display gun, but even they aren't easy to find currently.

it really pains me that anyone would modify an original 28 lower yo fit on a kahr !, turning something valuable into junk,,just sayn

Very true, I would rather not, but it's not like they will every be put to 100% original use anyway.

Yeah, getting a 1928 lower for a couple hundred bucks sure was nice. And while I don’t regret having mine machined, even if it is a mortal sin to modify one, it’s been made a moot point now. That ship has apparently sailed and sunk to the bottom.

If you have machining skills, there are plans / drawings out there covering various modifications to bring the non-detachable-buttstock Kahr lower towards the functionality of a 1928 lower - add detachability, selector lever, easy-release, etc. If you don’t, there are people out there who already do it.

If i were you, I’d contact Deerslayer and see what he can/will do and for how much. You might be surprised. Yeah he often has a wait list, but you sent yours off a year ago and you still don’t have it back. And Dan will do what he says. My gun has made the trip to Iowa twice now.

Good luck, Timmy

Back in 2005 or so, there was a company that made a stock slide rail that could be bolted to the 27 frame. It required drilling and tapping two holes in the frame. I have no idea if the rails are still made, I want to say it was Dameon at Tommygunner that was making them. Not sure.

it really pains me that anyone would modify an original 28 lower yo fit on a kahr !, turning something valuable into junk,,just sayn

Very true, I would rather not, but it's not like they will every be put to 100% original use anyway.

Actually I have a few that use on my colt. I would rather not use parts that are wearable.