Parts For Replica Thompson

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 lewis505

lewis505

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 10:51 AM

Just got a hold of an all-metal replica M-1921 Thompson, minus the buttstock; does anyone know where I can get a hold of a buttstock & horizontal foregrip ( it has a vertical on it now) or if actual parts can fit on this? The receiver appears to be slotted for a buttstock, and it has a 50rd drum w/ it. A 30rd magazine will not properly fit into the magazine well either (mag needs to be filed down on the sides I think)

I'm a Plt Sgt for the 81mm Mortar Plt of 2/505 PIR in the 82D ABN DIV at Fort Bragg & just got into collecting & doing Living History w/ the 82D AB Museum

Thanks

H-MINUS!

Chris Lewis

#2 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1252 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 21 September 2003 - 12:30 PM

I'm pretty sure a real '21 buttstock with slide hardware will fit, if the replica is an MGC (Modelgun Corp., Japan). The dimensions on those guns were very, very close to the original. But alas, a regular 30-round mag doesn't like to fit well. Nice that you got the drum with it! Horizontal foregrip from Sarco, IMA, forum members here, etc., will fit fine. They have buttstocks from time to time too.

Welcome aboard!

#3 lewis505

lewis505

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 02:39 PM

Thanks! I'll check it out!

#4 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 21 September 2003 - 03:06 PM

lewis505,

Look up "deerslayer" in the member list and email him. He can make the stock for you and stain all of your wood to match.

Norm

#5 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1029 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 21 September 2003 - 03:20 PM

lewis505: Look up tommygunner. He can make the slide for the stock.

#6 lewis505

lewis505

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 03:30 PM

Thnaks to hawksnest & Norm!

Lewis

#7 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1252 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 21 September 2003 - 08:07 PM

Didn't mean to ignore Deerslayer's & Tommygunner's talents! Sometimes I forget who does what here. Ya know, you turn 50, and...oh, I forgot what I was gonna say.

Ron

#8 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1717 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 09:40 PM

I just checked my MGC gun and slide (oops butt stock attachment assembly) and compared it to a tommygun slide and a numrich frame.

Results.
A tommygun slide will not slide into place on my MGC gun. Checking things quickly with a caliper, you would need to remove .05 inches from the MGC frame to get it to fit. That would probably take about 2 minutes with a sanding block and sandpaper.

I could, just barely, get the MGC slide onto my numrich frame.

I don't have time right now to post a picture of all of this but the MGC frame was just a little bigger across the bottom than the channel in the slide.

Hope this helps.
Dan

#9 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 22 September 2003 - 06:52 AM

In my earlier, more ignorant days, I tried to modify a nice 28 buttstock to fit the MGC hardware. After carving the wood, I soon discovered that it was very difficult for me to make the fit. I had a terrible mess.

#10 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 22 September 2003 - 11:54 AM

Hmmm,

I could easily fit the slide to the MGC without modifying your "gun" at no extra charge. Best if I had the frame in hand though. rolleyes.gif

Damon

#11 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:15 PM

lewis505,

TommyGunner can fit a stock slide assembly very well to your MGC frame if you send it to him. I have a Numrich 28 frame that was "odd size" and a normal slide assembly would not fit. After sending the frame and slide to Tommygunner; it fit perfectly.

He does good work and has a fast turn around on work.

Have you ever considered going to a functioning 1927? They are just as nice to look at, and you can shoot it too. With the help of some fellow members of this board, you can have a VERY nice, functioning gun. For $200 and ATF aproval, you can have one that looks just like a 1921 and functions (except no full auto.)

If you want to see a 1927 at it's best, follow this link to the old board. It belongs to Lionhart (lucky b@$t@rd!). wink.gif You too, could have a gun like this. Look through the complete post as the best pictures are in the middle. In case you didn't notice, it is the gun at the top of THIS webpage!

http://www.machinegu...um=1&topic=2109

Norm

#12 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 05:08 PM

Norm,
With all due respect, one must also check local laws regarding the short barrel rifle conversion. Unfortunately, we here in Michigan are not permitted to own such firearms unless on the Curio & Relic list.

#13 lewis505

lewis505

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (TommyGunner @ Sep 22 2003, 11:54 AM)
Hmmm,

I could easily fit the slide to the MGC without modifying your "gun" at no extra charge. Best if I had the frame in hand though. rolleyes.gif

Damon

could easily fit the slide to the MGC without modifying your "gun" at no extra charge. Best if I had the frame in hand though. rolleyes.gif

Cool - might be some 82d Goodies in it for you!
When I get some more "loose" $$$ I'll get my hands on a stock & contact you

AIRBORNE!

Chris

#14 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 23 September 2003 - 11:05 AM

Chris,

Well it seems that you have found my weakness! I am a sucker for those goodies! biggrin.gif If I may make a suggestion. IMHO it would work out best if the stockmaker had the slide when finishing the stock. For example: if deerslayer was to make a stock for you...I would send him the slide...He would then fit and sand the stock right up to the slide making a perfect fit this way (it is harder to fit a slide into an existing stock...but not impossible). The slide would then be returned to me (hopefully with your frame for fitting) and I would bead blast the slide and reblue. This would ensure the best fit and would save the vintage 21 wood (which is getting very hard to find and expensive) for a full auto. At any rate...I beleive that it would be best for the person fitting the stock to have the slide in hand...and of course I recommend Deerslayer. We will work together on it to ensure the best. He put together a AAA fancy stockset for a customer of mine and It is so beautiful I don't want to give it up! Not to mention it is cheaper than a vintage 21 Stock (no crossbolt). I will try to get some good pics of his work up tonite for you to look over. Let me know if you have any questions.

Damon

#15 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 23 September 2003 - 03:19 PM

Norm, you must be refering too;
user posted image

#16 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:15 PM

Lionhart--
Everytime I see your project, I am astonished! I'm still saving up to have the PK magic done to mine.

#17 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:56 PM

Here are the pics of that beautiful AAA fancy stockset Deerslayer made. I know it doesn't fit in the scheme of the vintage wood but I think it is very nice none the less and the workmanship was very high quality in my opinion. The peices were very symetrical and even. Looked more machined than hand made.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Thought you might like to see these. I can't stop playing with them! I am about to hook up my 27 and will have Deerslayer make my wood for sure. biggrin.gif

BTW...PK and Devlin set the bar with Project X. I have given much thought and haven't come up with a substantial improvement yet! Great guns!

Damon

#18 lewis505

lewis505

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 08:11 PM

Thanks guys! I have some pix of my replica Thompson (made by Kokusai of Japan?!?) but am unsure of how to post them, so e-mail me @ clewis18@nc.rr.com & I'll send them to you

Chris

#19 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 23 September 2003 - 09:18 PM

Ok...here are the pics of Chris's model gun. I think it is interesting with the park finish. I have seen swivels on the foregrip like that on a couple of the commemorative thompsons from west hurley. This is a new one by me...anyone have any info on this?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Enjoy,

Damon biggrin.gif

#20 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1717 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 10:27 PM

Chris, I noticed the markings on the reciever are different than the typical MGC gun. Does this one take the plug fire "rounds"? What does your chamber look like?

MGC made two types of plug fires. One used a hollow "round" with a simple paper cap pushed inside. The chamber had a hollow post that would strike the cap when the round chambered. This was the older type.

The newer one used a plastic cap somewhat similar looking to a typical muzzle loader cap. The chamber had a solid post. The plug fire round is the same size as a .45 acp. The top and bottom part screw together and inside a cap can be placed to make the thing work. The solid post hit the internal parts of the round to make the cap explode and thus power the ejection. The rounds usually sell for at least $5 when you can find them.
Dan