Where Can I Get A Repro 21a Barrel ?

Hi romano,

I installed a 1921A style barrel on my 28 West Hurley and all my functionality problems went away. I chose a Doug Richardson barrel. Doug takes a standard US GI M1A1 barrel and cuts fins in it. It is finished in a beautiful Colt blue. He has a high quality reproduction front sight that will press on. I would also purchase the sight pin because someday you will want to pin the front sight just like the original Colt guns. Doug's website is as follows:

http://www.thompsonsmg.com/

Send him $5.00 for a catalog first and then order the barrel, sight and pin. Doug can be difficult if you try to order without buying a catalog because he does not have the time to answer all the ordering questions and prices that are plainly listed in the catalog. The catalog is well worth the five bucks. After looking at the catalog, I bet you find a few more items you must have.

romano,

I also highly recommend PK's parts and service. If you are going to have to find someone to install the barrel, I recommend you just ship it off to PK and let him install one of his barrel's. He offers quick service for a job like this. He can also inspect your WH and tell you all the problems that you are going to have in the future without some preventative maintenance. Study the past Threads on the Board and you will learn a lot about West Hurley Thompson's. PK's work is second to none. I am in the waiting line for a complete overhaul on my 28 West Hurley - and it runs great. I just want to keep it that way.

I don't believe the chamber of the WH barrel was manufactured to the proper tolerances. After shooting a few magazines, it became dirty and feeding problems occurred. Magazine or drum dumps were not too much of a problem but it would often jam with a series of short bursts. The replacement of all the internals with GI parts solved many problems; the replacement of the barrel solved the rest. If I did not have a friend with a set of Richardson tools and a lot of experience changing barrels, I would have sent it off to PK for a barrel change. I would not want just anyone twisting on my barreled receiver!
  • Upvote 1

Hello Guys thank you very much for the info. To answer the question I have another WH that is coming in that had the cutts compensator taken off and hasent been shot for a while. I picked it up for a very reasonable amount of $$ .This gun has nothing to do with the WH from the other thread with the drum problem.

Thank you very much for your help

best

Romano

OK, I'm confused, how did replacing a barrel cure all your funtionality problems????

Thanks for the nice words about my barrels. The reason they are so good is that I start with new surplus M1A1 barrels. This is because it is not possible to make new barrels from scratch that meet the original specifications and sell them at a reasonable price. New made barrels that are available do not meet the original specifications both because it is too expensive and because the makers do not have the original drawings. Since I seem to be the only person who has all the original barrel drawings, the finning is done to the original specifications but to much tighter tolerances If compensator threads are required, I grind them because it is difficult to thread hardened steel any other way. New surplus barrels are no longer available. I am gradually using up barrels I have had for 25 years.

I would like to put this catalog requirement to rest once and for all. No one needs to buy a catalog from me to order. If you call me and ask for a price and/or availability, I'm happy to answer. Where I draw the line is when someone calls and asks me something like "tell me about all the tools you offer and the prices" or "describe all the barrels you offer" or "describe all the various receivers you make", etc. You don't have to have a catalog to order but you do need to know what you want. I simply don't have the time to recite the catalog to callers. There are just too many items in the catalog to do that. I want to remain accessible to callers who need Thompson help but there is a time problem. So rather than not be accessible, I restrict my telephone time to subjects that I can be most helpfull in a time efficient manner. In almost every case where there is a problem with an order, it is because the customer did not read the catalog. And as mentioned, there always seems to be something in the catalog that the customer would have ordered had he read the catalog. Since I charge flat rates for shipping, one overlooked item that could have been included in the same shipping cost will cost more to ship in a second order than the catalog cost in the first place. Many people have told me they really enjoyed my book and learned a lot from it and then I realize the book they are referring to is the catalog. I would put the catalog on line but about 50% of my customers do not have computers.

This is a Richardson barrel...and front grip and sight and receiver. B)

His stuff is great! :rolleyes:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/mbsennett1/Picture893a.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/mbsennett1/Picture894a.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/mbsennett1/DougRfrontsight.jpg

Doug R.'s barrels are beautiful, how many original barrels line up correctly with the grip mount where it rests against the 21st fin.

I have a question for anyone that has done this,

What would be the best procedure to wind up with a properly torqued barrel and a properly clocked and pinned front sight?

I am assuming that the barrel would first be torqued onto the receiver. However what would be the best procedure to then install the front sight onto the barrel (in the correct position) and would the sight be drilled and pinned while the barrel was still installed into the receiver? etc.

With all due respect to Doug, and we have discussed this before, 3/4-28 threads are easily cut to accurate dimensions and good finish with carbide turning tools. I don’t recall seeing any GI barrel with ground threads. Also, I do have a copy of a Colt print and have no problem accurately producing any dimensions therefrom. The original barrels were cut rifled and this is where some variance will be noted; while the lands and groves of current production are in spec, they are button rifled, as is common today. I also provide parts with either the original chamber dimensions or the GI SMG chamber dimensions. I did a study, with the assistance of several board members, of the actual dimensions of Colt barrels, which can be found somewhere in the archives; it is and interesting read.

Doug is generally correct about the other replacement barrels available on the market, and that is why I started making my own. I would not have bothered otherwise. I did so primarily to provide parts for use in refurbishing operations in house.

It should be clearly noted that the purpose here is not to provide parts that can be sold as originals, but the best quality original spec barrels available. In many ways, the overall quality is better than the originals because they are not mass production pieces.

As far as prices are concerned, I think mine are quite reasonable, a 21AC is currently $250.

A 7.62x25mm (or other caliber) barrel in any configuration is a doable item, but would be a one off special order, if you are interested, we can discuss details in an email.

• 7 years later...

Hello PK,

You had change a barrel in my M1 Thompson some time ago, do you still do this? I would like to change the existing barrel and front sight(I have both NOS military)on my M1A1 Thompson Military. Also is it possible to fill in where someone has ground off the U.S. Property(Savage mfg), its looks to be ~1.8" wide an across the back of the receiver ~1/8 or less deep, I would like to restore it to its original beauty by doing both and refinishing. Please let me know.

Thanks, Hector

As a potential alternative, I would also consider www.thompsonbarrels.com as a source for a 21A barrel. I bought from them, not because I did not want a PK barrel, but rather so that PK could devote his time to other tasks that are probably more profitable to him; and also reduce his backlog time so that others who have work that require his unique tools and talents can get their guns back quicker.

Best of luck with whatever vendor you decide to buy from; and enjoy your Thompson!

MHO, YMMV, etc.