In The Market For A 1921 Colt

Hello All,

I am new to Thompson's and am in the market for a nice 1921 Colt. I have been reading as much as I can about them and now I am searching for the right gun for me and my budget. So far I have looked at a few in person. I just got back from US Auto Weapons in Scottsdale, AZ and found one in "good" condition for $36K and I saw several nice ones at the SAR show in Phoenix, AZ in the $25K price range. What should I be looking for in a "Colt" Thompson and what should I expect to pay for one? I am not looking for a 100% gun but I don’t want a beater either, just something that I would be proud to own and show off. Any help is greatly appreciated.

David

Welcome and best wishes

If you are buying a Colt Thompson you are visiting the right board to discuss.

What books are you reading to learn about these? Have you read Tracie Hills book Thompson: The American Legend?

If not that would be a good investment.

There a multiple threads here on buying Thompson's, here is a recent one.

LINK to a recent thread on buying

My recommendations are to post here any price and all the pictures you can of any Thompson you find for sale that you have interest in.

Pictures should include internals, serial #, and visit both sides of the weapon. I can assure you any issues will be quickly sorted out and found.

Your first issue is to learn what are original parts, as you want to make sure all the parts are of course original.

Condition and history if any will push value.

In any case whatever you get serious on to buy, I would recommend a direct visit for inspection as pictures do not really tell the whole story.

The more Thompson's you see the better you will be able to judge condition and value to you.

There is a machinegun show and shoot at Knob Creek Range in KY, typically about 10 or so Thompson's there for sale, next event on April 3, 4, 5.

Knob Creek Range

There are two Thompson Associations.

Go to any one of their show and shoots and you will see LOTS of Thompsons

The American Thompson Association participates in a show hosted by Tracie Hill.

All Thompson Show and Shoot

The Thompson Collectors Association hosts two events a Spring event in AZ or NV and another in Indiana I believe scheduled during this summer.

Thompson Collectors Association events

michael

Check out this one on Strum board.

Posted By: David K in Largo, FL (70.222.244.14)

Date: 1/6/09 19:30

This is a very nice 1921AC Colt's Thompson. This gun has a Type II Cutts Compensator. It comes with a case that is not an orginal, but is a very old and very nice case. It also comes with a Worchester Press first model Type L magazine in very good condition and 2 20 round magazines. Serious buyers can E-mail me for more pictures. I will sell 1/2 half down and balance due when paperwork is finished. Buyer pays for tax stamp and I will pay for normal shipping up to $100.00. This is not a shooter grade gun.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9fmxwo&s=5

I have been reading American Thunder II and what ever info I can find on the net. I have tried to pick up a copy of the Tracie Hill book but it is out of print. I spoke with Tracie by phone and he told me that a new book should be out sometime this year.

I am only wanting to spend up to $25K so I may be limited on the condition of gun I purchase. I am looking at one now for $25K that is supposed to be in 90% condition, all Colt parts and Serial number 7951. It is an "A" model without the Cutts Compensator. I saw the Colt on Sturmgewehr for $36.5K, very nice but out of my price range.

For $25K i think you should be able to get one is very good condition and not feel bad about taking it out to the range.

As you look as each Colt, you want to ensure the numbers match and the parts like selector switch, safety and mag release are actually Colt and not a different model. Also ensure the barrel is a Colt and not replaced as well.

For newbies (and even myself) you can't really confirm if the parts are actually Colt without having some reference material available as there are some subtle differences. For example, the barrel fins differ and the checkering different and even the location differs. So, if you are going to pay for a Colt you should really ensure all the parts are such.

Finally, take it out to ensure it shoots straight.

For $25K i think you should be able to get one is very good condition and not feel bad about taking it out to the range.

As you look as each Colt, you want to ensure the numbers match and the parts like selector switch, safety and mag release are actually Colt and not a different model. Also ensure the barrel is a Colt and not replaced as well.

For newbies (and even myself) you can't really confirm if the parts are actually Colt without having some reference material available as there are some subtle differences. For example, the barrel fins differ and the checkering different and even the location differs. So, if you are going to pay for a Colt you should really ensure all the parts are such.

Finally, take it out to ensure it shoots straight.

The easiest method for locating a colt thompson is contact gordon heristag...when I was looking about six months ago, he located three for me to look at in one month. He really has his finger on the pulse of the subject and is a very nice person...do a google for his contact info.

artie in miami