Ww Ii Vertical Foregrips

Does anyone have info on the original vertical grips that were on some of the early Savage guns? Who made them, how/where were they marked? Is there a SN range for them? And finally were they installed on any of the "Bridgeport", AO marked guns? Thanks for any input.

Bob D

Does anyone have info on the original vertical grips that were on some of the early Savage guns? Who made them, how/where were they marked? Is there a SN range for them? And finally were they installed on any of the "Bridgeport", AO marked guns? Thanks for any input.

Bob D

I just had a buddy of mine ask about the vert grips....he ended up buying some from Dan Block the woodsmith...he was more than pleased...in case you are looking...originals are very, very expensive !

artie

Bob D

Bug,

I have an original from WWII and it is unmarked. There was some discussion about this several years ago. The consensus was that the WWII vertical grips were unmarked like the Colt era grips.

Bob D

Bob,

TD is doing a study on the early Savage guns with the New York address on them. These were mostly 1928 Models and, I believe, came standard with the vertical grips attached. He could give you a better serial number range for those guns. By the the time AO started making guns the 1928A1 was standard and had the horizontal foregrip. I don't believe any of the AO guns in their run were standard with the vertical grip. The exception is the late/post war AO guns that were sold by Maguire Industries to law enforcement agencies. These are the 150,000 serial number range guns with the US ground off the receiver and a C stamped over the 1 in A1. Virtually all of these guns seen have vertical grips. They probably used left over spares from the Colt era or early Savage production guns as these grips look very similar to the Colt vertical grips.

Bob D

Bob,

TD is doing a study on the early Savage guns with the New York address on them. These were mostly 1928 Models and, I believe, came standard with the vertical grips attached. He could give you a better serial number range for those guns. By the the time AO started making guns the 1928A1 was standard and had the horizontal foregrip. I don't believe any of the AO guns in their run were standard with the vertical grip. The exception is the late/post war AO guns that were sold by Maguire Industries to law enforcement agencies. These are the 150,000 serial number range guns with the US ground off the receiver and a C stamped over the 1 in A1. Virtually all of these guns seen have vertical grips. They probably used left over spares from the Colt era or early Savage production guns as these grips look very similar to the Colt vertical grips.

What a coincidence this question is at the top today.

I came here this morning to ask about a 28 Thompson I saw a GI using in some color combat footage in the "Color of War" video series "Face to Face" episode.

I wasn't aware that the US used any vertical grip 28's but this guy is clearly firing a 28 thompson with a smooth barrel and vertical foregrip in a combat situation.

I have to assume it is one of these savages.

Bob D

Bob,

I came here this morning to ask about a 28 Thompson I saw a GI using in some color combat footage in the "Color of War" video series "Face to Face" episode.

I wasn't aware that the US used any vertical grip 28's but this guy is clearly firing a 28 thompson with a smooth barrel and vertical foregrip in a combat situation.

Maverick4440,

The British ordered their guns with the vertical foregrip until the horiziontal grip became standard on the 1928A1 Models. The GI in the combat footage you mentioned may have picked up the gun from a British soldier, the US issued guns were standard with the horizontal grip. That is not to say that an enterprising GI didn't change the grip because he preferred that style. The early Savage guns all had finned barrels, not smooth, so if the gun in question really had a smooth barrel and was a late production gun, the grip had probably been changed by the soldier.

Bob D

Bob,

Maverick4440,

The British ordered their guns with the vertical foregrip until the horiziontal grip became standard on the 1928A1 Models. The GI in the combat footage you mentioned may have picked up the gun from a British soldier, the US issued guns were standard with the horizontal grip. That is not to say that an enterprising GI didn't change the grip because he preferred that style. The early Savage guns all had finned barrels, not smooth, so if the gun in question really had a smooth barrel and was a late production gun, the grip had probably been changed by the soldier.

I wondered about that smooth barrel.

I even re-wound the tape to make sure.

It's definately a smooth barrel with vertical grip and a 28 model. I thought about the British but he has a USGI helmet on and the brits used those WW1 looking helmets.

I had to double check.

It's only a few seconds of film on some old original WW2 color combat footage.

It just kind of jumped out at me because of the vertical grip and smooth barrel and a GI using it but it's a good clear segment of film.

So the US never issued a vertical grip Thompson in WW2?

Bob D

Bob,

Maverick4440,

It's definately a smooth barrel with vertical grip and a 28 model. I thought about the British but he has a USGI helmet on and the brits used those WW1 looking helmets.

I had to double check.

It just kind of jumped out at me because of the vertical grip and smooth barrel and a GI using it but it's a good clear segment of film.

I just went back and watched that segment again and it is a 28, smooth barrel, vertical grip with no compensator. I had to check again because I was beginning to doubt myself.

:)

Bob D

Bob,

Maverick4440,

I had to double check.

I just went back and watched that segment again and it is a 28, smooth barrel, vertical grip with no compensator. I had to check again because I was beginning to doubt myself.

This plot is getting thick. Of course I missed that segment of "Color of War". It sounds like some kind of "one of" field modified gun. A vertical grip with an M1 barrel. I'm sure there were a lot of strange combination in the field near the end of the war. If it shot, it got reissued. Chuck, I'll check with Tom on the Savageg grips. I should have thought of him first. Thanks.

Hey Mav, is there any link to the footagde of the GI with the "Maverick" Thopson??

Bob D

This thread asks some great questions. Unfortunately, my study of early Savage Thompson's does not include the vertical foregrips. I do know the British initially preferred the vertical foregrips. Many of the early Savage Thompson's sold to the British in early 1940, and after Lend Lease took effect, had the vertical foregrip. I would assume Savage made the grips or Remington continued on as a subcontractor for this part - but this is just a guess on my part. Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport started production of the Model of 1928 very late in the production cycle.

I believe any combination of parts is possible once the Thompson was placed in combat. Repairs by field armorers could have led to many variations.

Bob D

Bob,

Maverick4440,

I had to double check.

This plot is getting thick. Of course I missed that segment of "Color of War". It sounds like some kind of "one of" field modified gun. A vertical grip with an M1 barrel. I'm sure there were a lot of strange combination in the field near the end of the war. If it shot, it got reissued. Chuck, I'll check with Tom on the Savageg grips. I should have thought of him first. Thanks.

Hey Mav, is there any link to the footagde of the GI with the "Maverick" Thopson??

Bob D

I don't have a link to that.

I was watching my old VHS tapes I bought when that series came out.

I didn't have any Thompsons when I bought the set but have 2 Semi auto's now. so it caught my eye since I have more interest in them now.

I have been away for awhile and am just now catching up. I have seen a very early Savage 28 commercial in the 18k serial range that had a remington Vertical foregrip. I have a early Savage 28 in the 35k serial range and it has the vertical foregrip that is clearly Savage marked.

I have been away for awhile and am just now catching up. I have seen a very early Savage 28 commercial in the 18k serial range that had a remington Vertical foregrip. I have a early Savage 28 in the 35k serial range and it has the vertical foregrip that is clearly Savage marked.

Hyper Sniper,

Could you post a picture of the markings on your Savage marked vertical foregrip? I have never seen one marked in such fashion. Also, do you recalll how the Remington made grip was marked? The Remington wood on Colt Thompsons is unmarked. Thanks.

The exception is the late/post war AO guns that were sold by Maguire Industries to law enforcement agencies. These are the 150,000 serial number range guns with the US ground off the receiver and a C stamped over the 1 in A1. Virtually all of these guns seen have vertical grips. They probably used left over spares from the Colt era or early Savage production guns as these grips look very similar to the Colt vertical grips.

The only marking I can find on my AO 28ac #150969x grip is a very faint USA in the grip bar channel. I tried to take pics but they didn't come out too clearly with my ancient 3.2 mega pixel camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/Lancer1717/Board%20pics/tommygrip2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/Lancer1717/Board%20pics/tommygrip3.jpg

Hello gijive, The gun I looked at that had the Remington wood was most probably surplus from Colt guns because it was unmarked just like Colt guns and looked the very same.

My gun only being 17k higher in serial range has the S marked vertical foregrip and also looks the same.

I will try and get some pics this evening when I get home, but do not have any at this time to post.

The only marking I can find on my AO 28ac #150969x grip is a very faint USA in the grip bar channel. I tried to take pics but they didn't come out too clearly with my ancient 3.2 mega pixel camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/Lancer1717/Board%20pics/tommygrip2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/Lancer1717/Board%20pics/tommygrip3.jpg

After closer inspection, it appears my grip is indeed unmarked. What appeared to me to be USA is, in reality, the reverse image of AOC that after years of being attached to the grip bar, imprinted on the softer wood grip.

Sorry for confusing the issue.

Edited by Lancer

Hello gijive, The gun I looked at that had the Remington wood was most probably surplus from Colt guns because it was unmarked just like Colt guns and looked the very same.

My gun only being 17k higher in serial range has the S marked vertical foregrip and also looks the same.

I will try and get some pics this evening when I get home, but do not have any at this time to post.

Hi,

That would be great to see a picture of the Savage "S" manufacturing code. Several years ago a couple of members checked their Savage guns and no one came up with a manufacturing code on the vertical forgrips. It would be interesting to see one. Thanks for taking the time, post a picture when you can.

OK guys here is the pics of the S marked vertical foregrip. I believe I should open a new topic on this gun at hand it has some interesting things about it.

Yes this gun was a members former Chrome 28 and I have been waiting 2 1/2 years from buying it to getting it back from PK this month "WHAT A DIFFERENCE"

Lancer, your foregrip on your gun looks to me to be a remington built vertical grip!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2num44j.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/op3ady.jpg

OK guys here is the pics of the S marked vertical foregrip. I believe I should open a new topic on this gun at hand it has some interesting things about it.

Yes this gun was a members former Chrome 28 and I have been waiting 2 1/2 years from buying it to getting it back from PK this month "WHAT A DIFFERENCE"

Lancer, your foregrip on your gun looks to me to be a remington built vertical grip!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2num44j.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/op3ady.jpg

Hyper Sniper,

Thanks for the interesting photo. That's the first vertical foregrip I've seen that has an "S" marking. I agree with your assessment of Lancer's vertical grip; it appears to be a an original Remington/Colt era foregrip. That makes sense to me since many of the Maguire Industries late/post war law enforcement guns seem to have this style grip, which I believe were left over Colt wood grips.

Hyper Sniper,

Thanks for the interesting photo. That's the first vertical foregrip I've seen that has an "S" marking. I agree with your assessment of Lancer's vertical grip; it appears to be a an original Remington/Colt era foregrip. That makes sense to me since many of the Maguire Industries late/post war law enforcement guns seem to have this style grip, which I believe were left over Colt wood grips.

By the time the guns were being produced at the A.O.C. plant in Bridgeport they had already gone to the horizontal foregrips.

I have never seen a A.O.C. marked vertical grip, so it only make since that the grips you see on the early guns were either savage, or Remington/Colt surplus.

If you look at the grip on the Savage 28 that I posted about bling bling you can see a distinct difference from the Colt erea grips. The top 1/2" straight boss is not noted on the Savage Grip.

I just have to believe that even though we haven't seen these S marked vertical foregrips much! hard to believe they only made one. They must have ended up overseas, or maybe only started to produce them and halted on the contract change to horizontal grips. (Who the hail knows)

Edited by Hyper Sniper

I have a "Model of 1928" (not "US", not "A1", not NY address) in the 136000 range. It was bought by a PD and has no military markings. It does have the "S" in the front grip channel as shown in the photo above.

Joel

I have a "Model of 1928" (not "US", not "A1", not NY address) in the 136000 range. It was bought by a PD and has no military markings. It does have the "S" in the front grip channel as shown in the photo above.

Joel

Joel,

Any chance of posting some detailed photos of the grip? In addition to the S in the grip mount slot, could you take a shot of the profile and a straight on shot? I'd like to see something in the grip countour that I have a theory about. Unfortunately, although Hyper Sniper's gun looks fantastic after the work done by PK, it appear that the front grip may have been sanded at some point. It appears that the screw holes from the British style sling swivels were filled with wood putty and the grip may have been sanded, softening the deliniation of the 1/4 inch straight line at the top of the grip from front to back.

Some years back I posted photos of the differences between original Colt vertical grips and WWII grips. My AOL hosting site is no longer available so the pictures are not available either. I will take some new photos and post them in a few days. I would like to use your Savage marked vertical grip if you can provide some detailed photos. Maybe Dave can use them for the pinned topics section.