Favorite Thompson Quotes

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TAS1921AC

thats a clever idea. i wonder how closely i could machine a drum pan, and lid. the barrel part of the stand would occupy the center, if the power of the laser where i am having some work done, would be adequate to etch, or otherwise print on the drum parts, it would add a nice touch, "WIND...etc..." distressing/aging the new lid and pan would also make for a more authentic look.

I think C drum would look good.

a genuine C drum would make for a very expensive lamp indeed.

thanks again, you've just given me a new path to explore.

Edited by fortyfivecal

"When you've got a beast like that strapped to you and you're emptying magazines, a 50-round drum, it's a good feeling."

Interview with Johnny Depp on Public Enemies.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/...mies/index.html

thanks Duster, that quote embodies one of the traits of the Thompson smg, it does put a grin or smile on your face, assuming no one is shooting back at you...

thanks for posting!

fortyfivecal, I was thinking.....if you could duplicate in wood an L or C drum and attach it upright to a nice base you could put a whole new spin on Thompson display stands.

Tom-

thanks, thats an interesting idea, if you would, clarify for me, are you suggesting a stand, that supports a display of an L or C drum itself, or a stand that uses the wood drum to support a Thompson?

i have some stands coming out that will display a Thompson smg, for the 1921 models, and WW2 models, that will break down for gun shows/shoots, re-enactors etc., fresh ideas like yours are always welcome and apprecitated.

thanks!

Dave

From, of all movies, The Mummys Return Part 2. The archieologist and his assistant are getting weapons out of the trunk of the car in Cairo to free his wife.

Archieolgost to assistant: "I suspect you want the shotgun?" Assistant "No actually I prefer the Thompson"

Jim

From, of all movies, The Mummys Return Part 2. The archieologist and his assistant are getting weapons out of the trunk of the car in Cairo to free his wife.

Archieolgost to assistant: "I suspect you want the shotgun?" Assistant "No actually I prefer the Thompson"

Jim

that quote sums up how i think we all feel here at this forum, thanks for sharing!

• 6 months later...

hello- i thought i'd post a thank you again, to all who responded. the project is finally finished. the shade frame limited me but still, pleased with the result. if i do another, i'll get to use more of the quotes suggested. thanks again!

Edited by fortyfivecal

ffc:

Superb job! Any chance you'll make some more up for sale?

Jim

thanks Jim, i appreciate that. tell you what, following are the costs of materials alone, i don't know if there is a market, as when you add any profit for me, for my time, in putting it all together, the cost is not cheap.

acrylic $21

lasering $40

frame shipped $18

incidentals $5

thats just the shade, the round blank of cherry for the base i turned up on my cnc lathe, the piece of material for the barrel vertical portion are all in addition to the above costs, plus electrics.

worth it to me, but, add any profit margin at all, and the price isn't something you'd see at walmert, lol.

thanks again!

Edited by fortyfivecal

ffc:

Under consideration. Of course we all know that if Wal Mart had been in existance when Thompsons were being sold to the public they certainly wouldn't have been a supplier!! That's unless they could have imported some el-cheapo knockoffs from China. :rolleyes:

Jim

Edited by james m

Jim, and whomever else might read this. would there be interest in a kit? for the shade? were i able to make more than one, economy of scale would come into play, and would reduce cost enough that i woulld be able to make a small profit, especially if the end user assembles the frame to the panels.

let me know, i'm getting familiar with this vectorizing software now, so if someone has images they wanted in place of those i chose, that could be an option.

Edited by fortyfivecal

" Your kidding me? My West Hurley just out shot that Colt for the championship?!"

Mike Hensley after winning the steel plate shoot couple years ago.

Nice one, Mike! Wish you were going to be there to say that again next week...

David

FFC, I am fascinated by the etching on the plexiglas, could you briefly explain what type of machine does this and how, and is owning the technology very expensive? I have done glass etching with acid but I have never seen plexiglas etched so precisely. :unsure:

Mike Hammer

" Your kidding me? My West Hurley just out shot that Colt for the championship?!"

Mike Hensley after winning the steel plate shoot couple years ago.

Nice one, Mike! Wish you were going to be there to say that again next week...

David

Me too, Tracie probably thinks I'm mad at him or something. This is three years in a row some vaca fell on the same week.

FFC, I am fascinated by the etching on the plexiglas, could you briefly explain what type of machine does this and how, and is owning the technology very expensive? I have done glass etching with acid but I have never seen plexiglas etched so precisely. :unsure:

Mike Hammer

Mike-

thanks for your comments.

i have found a small company that owns a laser, price $35,000, i looked it up. the owner of the company is just getting started, and the key factor is my providing him with the programs and settings. this saves me a bundle. were i to supply only the artwork, the cost would be high. one quote i had to do this was $180, just for the laser work.

so, owning the laser, is just a start, you have to know the process of converting the image, and adjusting it to achieve the results from the laser that you are wanting, then generate the program. programming is part of what i do, as i am a cnc machinist, so i have an advantage there, that i employed for this project.

don't get me wrong, its not "rocket science", its like most things, you have to spend time figuring out the tools that you need to achieve your goal, then work with the tools to see what results you get with different variables, then go back to the drawing board, ie. trial and error. i've tried, and erred, and now have some experience that i hope to build on.

i'd like to find a venue to put this in, for a potential market, have you any suggestions? my "day job" has seen severe cuts to the wage and benefit plan, thats why i first started making Thompson smg barrels for the display owners, and blankfiring enthusiasts, then branched out to building display stands for fine firearms. the lamp was an offshoot, making the double 2:1 scale barrel, and the shade. i've learned a lot along the way, and have a few more ideas. i'd like to market what is marketable, to fund my retirement, and to fund the other ideas i've had, but, i'm not sure how to make the public aware of what i'm making, and see if there is any market for these items. the example(s) i've shown demonstrate a capacity, and i'd enjoy building things that are customized to peoples own tastes. its nice to have something there is only (1) of. and i'd like to offer that to people, in exchange for enough profit to both pay for my expenses and a small profit for my idea and labor put into it.

if you can suggest a venue, most likely online, i would appreciate it.

thanks again for your interest!

hope this answers your question(s).

Dave

Edited by fortyfivecal