Thompson M1 Barrel Removal Problem.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I thought I had completed my research regarding removal of the 16” barrel from my Thompson M1. With SBR permit in hand I attempted to remove the barrel with negative results. The barrel will not budge! I placed the wrapped receiver upside down in my vise and tried to loosen the barrel by rotating the receiver. The thing will not move. I am attempting to rotate the barrel counter clockwise for right hand threads. Does anyone have some advice that would help me out of this jam?

danover, You need to email or message PK or ReconBob to get the skinny on the Kahr models. I have two things you should consider.

Are you looking to save the 16" barrel? Do you have a barrel wrench?

I'd suspect the connection has some potent thread locker in it, be prepared to apply heat to break it down.

PK and Recon are busy experts, be patient, and check out prior threads "search" on the subject.

-Darryl

Do not use heat to facilitate removing the barrel. It is very easy

to damage the steel from over-heating. There are numerous suggestions

and tricks for removing barrels many of them can be found here if

you do a search.

If you get stuck, here at Philly O we can remove the barrel for a

flat fee of $25, plus whatever return shipping is. Turn around time

is 1-2 weeks.

Welcome to the board, there are a lot of good guys here...

Bob/Phila Ord

danover321,

What reconbob is offering you is the real deal. He has the EXPERIENCE. Perhaps, he can also install your short barrel. If not, he can certainly offer some very good advice that will be worth listening too. I suggest letting a professional remove your barrel. It will not get any better than this.

Let us know how your project turns out.

I think Bob's price is very reasonable and a no brainer. I'd also have him install the new barrel and index the site. Your site may require pinning depending on what type you want installed on it. If you haven't pinned a sight before, it's also a bear to get right as well without the right jig and tools.

-Darryl