Opinions On Kahr's Please

I have the opportunity to buy a Kahr Tommy Gun for less than $800. I think that is a good deal. It is supposedly new, never fired, with hard case and a 30 rd stick. After reading about the problems with these guns, maybe I don't want this one so bad after all. Anyone have anything positive to say about the Kahr's? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

I bought a Kahr M1 Tommy a year ago for a SBR project. The fit and finish were nice and the wood was excellent.

The first time at the range it jammed up on the first round fired. The extractor came foward out of the bolt and locked the gun up.

I brought the gun home, un-jammed the extractor, and did a complete cleaning and oiling.

The second time to the range I fired about 300 rounds, mostly reloads and it ran 100%.

I received my approved Form 1 in late August and then in September I did the chop job...and it looks a lot better with the short tube!

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/ind...amp;#entry94167

I bought a 1927a1 commando back in dec. First time out I had a crappy 10 round drum with me, till I could find a preban 50 rounder (all we are allowed to have here), and jammed alot with it. took it apart noticed the bolt was dmg'd, and feed ramp was bent. sent to kahr wed, had it back by Monday, they replaced the bolt fixed the feed ramp. I replaced the wood with original savage m1a1 wood, put in Dan Blocks ez pull springs, and fell into 4 original seymore and bridgeport 50 round drums. Took to the range and ran flawlessly through the 500 mixed rounds of ammo I had (winchester, federal, wolf). I got the local PD to sign off on my form 1, so now waiting to have the 200 to send it in to convert to a proper looking SBR, as had an emergency vet bill to deal with. over all im happy with it, and looks great next to all my other original US WWII firearms.

BTW is it an aluminum receiver or steel receiver tommy? personally id stick to steel, but some people dont care.

Edited by Embalmer

Well if you do buy it the first thing you need to get is an EZ pull spring kit. Stock you need the hand of god to pull that bolt back, and when you're dealing with a drum mag it's a pain in the a$$ to say the least!!!

Overall I think they are a decent gun, they did the best they could while trying to meet the BATF requirements. I had my firing pin break once and I was rather upset about that! I don't think they use 4140 or 4130 steel on all components like they should....

Also the 10.5in barrel is a must!

I bought a 1927a1 commando back in dec. First time out I had a crappy 10 round drum with me, till I could find a preban 50 rounder (all we are allowed to have here), and jammed alot with it. took it apart noticed the bolt was dmg'd, and feed ramp was bent. sent to kahr wed, had it back by Monday, they replaced the bolt fixed the feed ramp. I replaced the wood with original savage m1a1 wood, put in Dan Blocks ez pull springs, and fell into 4 original seymore and bridgeport 50 round drums. Took to the range and ran flawlessly through the 500 mixed rounds of ammo I had (winchester, federal, wolf). I got the local PD to sign off on my form 1, so now waiting to have the 200 to send it in to convert to a proper looking SBR, as had an emergency vet bill to deal with. over all im happy with it, and looks great next to all my other original US WWII firearms.

BTW is it an aluminum receiver or steel receiver tommy? personally id stick to steel, but some people dont care.

It has a steel receiver. I do not think I would get it with an aluminum one. This one is also a 1927 A1. Is $775 a good price for one?

I would suggest that you state if you can try it first and it works then you will buy it.

Sure you will get slack about you shooting it then it won't be unfired, but first, most items are fired before it leaves the factory and two, its hard to believe someone bought it and NEVER fired it.

Take a close look at the item to see if it appears "never" fired or looks like they guy tried it a few times and found it problematic and opted not to use it again.

It has a steel receiver. I do not think I would get it with an aluminum one. This one is also a 1927 A1. Is $775 a good price for one?

Mike in Florida,

Yes, $775 is a very good price. You may have to deal with some quality issues, but then again, maybe you won't.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Personnally, I think all Kahr's are junk. I wouldn't pay $7.75 for one, but that's just my personal opinion. They make those things out of 12L14 steel or something like that. it's a very low quality/low cost steel. You can buy original ww2 issue, Russian lend lease thompsons for anywhere from $400-800 bucks, a phillyord 80% receiver for $295, and have a machinest buddy finish out the receiver to the specs put out on WWW.weapons guild.com, to a legal semi auto. Those kits can be converted to semi auto only, but you need access to machine tools to do it, and a welder to put in blocking bars and such. Don't bother with buying demilled receivers to rebuild. They are a royal pain to weld back to shape, due to the type of steel they are made from. The metal is always warping and shifting when you weld on it. I made that mistake, and am now trying to save the coin for a Phillyord 80% receiver.

Well I emailed the seller 4 days ago and said I wanted it IF we could meet at a local range, I pay range fee, I buy one box of ammo, and I shoot one box of ammo. If there is no malfuncitons with it after the one box, he gets cash on the spot, I get the gun. I have yet to hear back from him so I suspect that he has shot it and knows. I don't care, I can buy this gun or 3 other guns for the same money I would have spent. I do love a full gun safe.