Where Can I Find A 1928 M1 Parts Kit

Hey guys,

Been hiding in the shadows for a while. I have been reading up trying to get ready for a parts build. I want to put together a 1928m1 but it seems these kits are scarce. I have found some sites that have them and they range from 1000 to 1200. Is this the going price? Sarco has a kit for a 1000 with the end peice still on the barrel and the rear sight still attached to the back portion of the upper receiver. Are thes good kits they offer?

Hi Floyd,

Welcome to the Board.

I assume you mean a Model of 1928 Thompson and Model M1 Thompson when you stated "1928m1" Thompson.

I would contact Don Bell at Omega. He is great to deal with and has the best prices. Here is his website:

http://www.omega-weapons-systems.com/

Floyd,

Are you building a FA or a display gun?

Sarco kits are generally of the lowest quality when compared

to Omega and IMA and others.

I've bought super select kits from IMA, the

prices were in line and the quality was excellent.

My 2 cents

Darryl

Floyd,

Are you building a FA or a display gun?

Sarco kits are generally of the lowest quality when compared

to Omega and IMA and others.

I've bought super select kits from IMA, the

prices were in line and the quality was excellent.

My 2 cents

Darryl

Can't spend that type of money to just look at it.

As of now I am planning on building a semi using original parts. Seen a couple good write ups on how to do this.

Floyd,

Be careful to satisfy NFA requirements. I've never had a desire to that, but it

would seem difficult to do using FA internals and be NFA kosher. Don't forget about the

$200 SBR tax stamp.

I assume you'll be using a 80% receiver? You'd think ReConBob would be offering semi kits and his

receivers if it was doable?

Let us know how it turns out!

-Darryl

Darryl-

it can be done, and done legally, with as you noted, the required SBR tax stamp. as always there is more than one path available. i chose the kahr/auto ordnance receiver and other necessary internals path, as it saved time.

Nice looking Thompson. I have one of the 1928A1 kits stuck back along with a PO receiver. Woud love to have a working weapon (semi) but if I am gong to get in trouble I will settle with a dummy gun. I could just buy a Thompson but the look just wouldn't be there. Regardless, I am still going to get a 1928M1 kit in the next week or two. It may lay around and collect dust for a while but I will have the parts when I get ready to do something with it. Out here trying to find the best place to buy a parts kit. The M1 cost a bit more than the A1.

How did you get your receiver that dark? I have been playing around with blueing on the 80% PO receiver I have but I haven't been able to get it dark enough to match the barrel in the parts kit. Did you make your display stand?

Floyd, Check into getting some Thompson books that's offered on MachinegunBooks.com and review the pinned topic

section at the beginning of the Thompson forum section. The more knowledge you have will save you money, time and lots of anguish.

As far the common Thompson models, there is the 1921, 1928 Overstamp, 1928, 1928A1, M1 and M1A1. Most of the Russian kits are 1928 models. The 1928's most always have a darker barrel since it was more highly polished.

Good luck with your endeavors and welcome to the

board.

-Darryl

My Philadelphia Ordnance receiver was blued by Bob when he made it and it matches my parts set very well. You may want to have him do it as the cost is very modest. I spent some time with Don(Omega Arms) at the SAR in early December. He told me he has plenty of parts sets but they are without barrels.

Jim

Darryl-

it can be done, and done legally, with as you noted, the required SBR tax stamp. as always there is more than one path available. i chose the kahr/auto ordnance receiver and other necessary internals path, as it saved time.

Nice looking Thompson. I have one of the 1928A1 kits stuck back along with a PO receiver. Woud love to have a working weapon (semi) but if I am gong to get in trouble I will settle with a dummy gun. I could just buy a Thompson but the look just wouldn't be there. Regardless, I am still going to get a 1928M1 kit in the next week or two. It may lay around and collect dust for a while but I will have the parts when I get ready to do something with it. Out here trying to find the best place to buy a parts kit. The M1 cost a bit more than the A1.

How did you get your receiver that dark? I have been playing around with blueing on the 80% PO receiver I have but I haven't been able to get it dark enough to match the barrel in the parts kit. Did you make your display stand?

Floyd- PK built the gun, and did the finish, so i would defer to questioning him about his process for "blueing".

yes, i made/make the stands, i have several versions.

Darryl-

Floyd- PK built the gun, and did the finish, so i would defer to questioning him about his process for "blueing".

yes, i made/make the stands, i have several versions.

Nice job!

There are plenty of thompson kits on GunBroker and AuctionArms, often for far less than $1000. If they don't show clear and sharp pics pass em by. Same if they have a reserve price which they don't reveal. WWW.weaponsguild.com has a lot of info on building thompson kits into legal semi auto's. My personal opinion is a PhillyOrd receiver is a better choice to work with than rewelding a cutup tsmg receiver. Those cutup receivers warp to much when welding on them. Good luck!

Floyd,

The parts kit was black oxide if it had not been refinished. A black oxide finish will be the closest match to the parts kit. The metal surface finish is important if you want to match the parts kit. A bead blast gives good results.

I'm certain that ReconBob uses a hot black oxide finish similar to the originals. Caswel's room temp Black Oxide kit does a good job and its easy to do at home. The hot black oxide is probably more durable.

Attached is a pic of a Philly Ord. Colt 1921 receiver finished with Caswel's black oxide on a parts kit.

Joe

COLT_TOMMY_005.jpg

Edited by Joe H