Merle / Bdm Thompson 22lr Conv. Kit‏

All,

Kudos to Merle and Black Dog Machine on their Thompson 22LR conv. kit‏! Just receive my kit from Merle. Received a call/email last week, order the kit, got it yesterday and test fired today. During the process actually talked with Merle.

Worked GREAT right out of the box!

Let's see, a little over a week in the whole order process to receive it.

Had a competitor's kit. Waited six months for it to come. It did not work, when it came out of the box. Made numerous telephone calls, never got to speak to the individual. Sent it back to be repaired. Spent the next six months sending numerous letters via certified mail. Threaten to get the Postal Inspectors involved. Would not fix his work.

Thanks Merle! Going to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday tomorrow with it, she likes to shoot.

Paul in PA

Only stick magazines. Did not want to waste ammo, and I think the drum won't look right on my M-1A1.

Only stick magazines. Did not want to waste ammo, and I think the drum won't look right on my M-1A1.

What? Waste ammo?? Time to get a single shot perhaps?

1. Any ammo shot out of a Thompson -is not wasted.

2. Any ammo I did not get to shoot out of it -was.

(Not really. My greatest shooting pleasure by far has been helping kids fire their first shots.)

Edited by mnshooter

Merle is a first class gentleman, period.

I've known him for years and his kit works, if you have any problems he will make it right.

I have a couple of drums inbound and can't wait to dump a few.

He also has the adapters for the short and long nuts to fit a can.

So any of you guys going to Albany in May want to try mine with or without the silencer then you can decide if you want to step up. I'll be on the south end with the 20mm and might bring my M20 with the 50bmg sub-cal if they let me ;-)

If you have any questions you can talk to him face to face because he will be there with more of his toys.

I have one of his kits with sticks and a drum and they all run great. First class quality and service. Drums are $125 plus $11 shipping. Tell him if you have a GI or WH gun as there are slight demensional differences in the loading slot on the frame that the drum slides into. He has the proper part for both. Great guy to deal with. Highly recommend him and the kits. Just my .02

All,

Kudos to Merle and Black Dog Machine on their Thompson 22LR conv. kit‏! Just receive my kit from Merle. Received a call/email last week, order the kit, got it yesterday and test fired today. During the process actually talked with Merle.

Worked GREAT right out of the box!

Let's see, a little over a week in the whole order process to receive it.

Had a competitor's kit. Waited six months for it to come. It did not work, when it came out of the box. Made numerous telephone calls, never got to speak to the individual. Sent it back to be repaired. Spent the next six months sending numerous letters via certified mail. Threaten to get the Postal Inspectors involved. Would not fix his work.

Thanks Merle! Going to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday tomorrow with it, she likes to shoot.

Paul in PA

I have been thinking of getting one of the suppressor nuts from Merle

I have a PK'ed WH 1928 a la with a Cutts- Doesn't this mean I need a long nut??

NOt sure what the tpi of my little cheap old sionics style 22 can is but I have a SWR that uses a bayonet/QD on M-16

Thinking it will make it nose heavy

I just shipped my kit off for the .45acp ejector mod, tuning, etc. I'm also getting the 1/2-28 threaded barrel nut.

I contacted gemtech regarding using my .22lr can in full auto. They said that was a no for my seahunter, but I should be able to use my 9mm can with no issues.

so, looking forward to getting the kit back and trying it with the can on there.

Edited by beechnut

Here is his info. Tell him I recommended you and said hello

Thanks

Chris Holtzclaw

Merle Bitikofer

224 NW Woods Lane

Dallas, Or 97338

503-623-8294

What is Merle's contact information ? if anybody has that handy I sure would appreciate it.

Bob

I really like my BDM kit. I have the barrel/bolt mod which allows the .45 ejector to remain in place, the new steel cocking knob, and use both the stick and drum mags. The only issue I have had is ammo (don't use Remington Golden bullets - everything else seems to work well, although the Federal bulk pack works the best) and the original "soft" ejector bent over time, which Merle has since replaced with a new spring steel one. Very durable, big improvement. I strongly recommend the modified cocking knob. Smoother action, no bluing wear. Overall, cheap fun and very reliable. Much more affordable way to turn money into noise, although I often shoot .22 to start with, and then convert over to .45 while at the range. Merle's help, advice, and service has been outstanding. A bigger contrast to Ceiner I can't imagine.

I can't recall if I previously asked but are there any loaders for the mags or drums or is loading them the usual one round at a time?

There are a couple for stick mags listed here - both are mods to existing thumbsavers. The second one listed in the thread is easily available. I don't know of a loader for the drum.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/ind...1&hl=loader

Edited by just4grins

• 2 weeks later...

Received my kit back from Merle last week. Turn around time was pretty quick ~1wk, and the labor charge was completely reasonable.

Gave it a run last night. There were a couple hiccups, but by the end of the range session it was running 100%.

Here's a little video of with and without suppressor.

I can't wait until I can shoot it outside at some real targets.

Received my kit back from Merle last week. Turn around time was pretty quick ~1wk, and the labor charge was completely reasonable.

Gave it a run last night. There were a couple hiccups, but by the end of the range session it was running 100%.

What ammo do you find to be the most reliable?

I have been told to try the federal bulk pack (~$16/500 at walmart). However, I haven't been able to pick any up and try it.

Last night tried a little federal blue box, winchester HV, but mostly winchester wildcat. The winchester wildcat runs ok with maybe ~1% failure to fire. The failures to fire seem to be either the primer compound is uneven, or the rim is too hard.

I've been checking the WM ammo counter every time I stop by. So far they've been consistently out of the federal bulk pack.

Merle spent a good bit of time on the phone with me describing everything he did to make my kit right. He endorses the Federal Bulk Pack, and advises to stay away from the Remington Golden Bullets.

Edited by beechnut

I have been told to try the federal bulk pack (~$16/500 at walmart). However, I haven't been able to pick any up and try it.

Last night tried a little federal blue box, winchester HV, but mostly winchester wildcat. The winchester wildcat runs ok with maybe ~1% failure to fire. The failures to fire seem to be either the primer compound is uneven, or the rim is too hard.

I've been checking the WM ammo counter every time I stop by. So far they've been consistently out of the federal bulk pack.

Merle spent a good bit of time on the phone with me describing everything he did to make my kit right. He endorses the Federal Bulk Pack, and advises to stay away from the Remington Golden Bullets.

I agree with him about the Golden bullets. When I first got my kit I used some and damaged the kit.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/ind...0&hl=golden