Marine Thompson At Soochow Creek, Shanghai China 1937

I just bought a group to a Marine Officer who commanded a platoon of Marine's at the battle of Soochow Creek, Shanghai China in 1937. There are pictures of he Officer and his men at the bridge armed with '03 Springfield's, a Thompson, a BAR and a Browning MG.

Dick

Totman__Thompson__BAR_and_Browning.jpg

Totman_Picture_with_Thompson_reverse.jpg

Edited by Sculptor

Sculptor,

Nice pictures. Thank you for sharing. Note the twenty round magazine and the early style Colt era horizontal fore-grip with the large finger grooves. Unfortunately, the end of the fore-grip (and sling swivels) are not clear enough for any detail. But the large groove on the side (or "cove" as Arthur correctly states) for the fingers is plainly visible. If only the serial number and disposition of this fine Colt Thompson was known.

Can anyone identify the type of sling?

Sculptor,

These are awesome pictures, and to me, they are what makes Thompson history so intriguing.

I think it's an M1917 Kerr sling installed on that Thompson.

Thank you for posting this!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Sculptor,

Thanks for the blow-up of the picture. It helps some but as you stated, the image is still pretty blurry when using the zoom. I feel comfortable that this is an early Colt era horizontal fore-grip - but all comments are welcome.

I suggest Board members turn to page 304 in their copy of The Ultimate Thompson Book (TUTB) and look at Figure 408 for the 1935 manufacturing drawing of the late Colt era horizontal fore-grip (what was used by Savage and Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport during WWII). Since this picture was dated in 1937, I thought the Colt Thompson may feature this late type fore-grip. See pictures of this late Colt era fore-grip on the Swedish Colt's starting on page 289. (If you don't have a copy of TUTB, you really need to purchase one for your home library)

To share my thought process further, I figured the Marines had acquired the Colt Thompson prior to 1935, but may have installed new wood on it. The Marines are known to be hard on equipment, something that happens when you are always using it in support of our great country.

David - thanks for the sling information.

Again, great pictures!

Looks like the Thompson is wearing a M1907 leather sling. The loop at the rear of the front strap is too big for a Kerr . If the 2nd pic is of the same group , you can see the double row of holes. If not , just compare with the BAR sling.

Chris

• 3 years later...

board donor: Fritz USMC Viet Nam

My Dad was at Soochow Creek Battle, Shanghi, China. USMC, Pvt. Thomas H.Chapman, 1936 -1940 in China. I found a actual "Soochow Creek Battle" with eagle,globe,anchor attached to one side, cart. also have 35mm file roll (black and white) showing "sandbag bunkers" and men carrying Springfields, heavyBrowning machine guns. would like more pictures of USMC squads/goups or if anyone had fathers that serves at that time, would be great to see my Dads' picture...Dad came home in 1940 and re-enlisted 1941 - 1948 served in Pacific with 3rd mar div and was at Guadalcanal battle. Dad would speak highly of the firepower of .45 Thompson and air-cooled fixed machineguns.

Those are wonderful pics. Thanks for posting them.

Marines are also known for using gear until it's absolutely worn out.

Great photos. It's good to see real historical photos like this.

If anyone has access to their fathers old military photos, get copies made now. I had always loved looking at my fathers photos from his time in the Navy in WWII. There were photos of him with Thompsons and a BAR.

Many years ago he had a tumor in his brain. He went thru severe emotional distress. Unknown to my mother, he had thrown away all his military photos, when he was depressed.

When she discovered what had happened and asked about it, he just said "no one want's to see that old stuff anymore".

So if you have the chance to take possession of, or copy old family photos. Do it now.