Making A Display/dummy Gun Out Of My M1 Thompson Parts Kit

I have a M1 Thompson parts kit that I want to make into a display rifle. I live in a non NFA state so I can't buy a real Thompson. :( I was debating between getting a Philly Ordnance 80% receiver with all the matching markings on it or getting a saw cut thompson receiver. The Philly Ordnance receiver would look alot nicer but a demilled receiver would be more authenic. I also don't want a cheap aluminum dummy receiver as I want my display rifle to have the same weight as the real thing.

Thanks. And I've been waiting 2 weeks to ask this question here but it took that long to get my registraion approved by a moderator :(

Thanks. And I've been waiting 2 weeks to ask this question here but it took that long to get my registraion approved by a moderator :(

Phillies,

Welcome to the board!

I apologize for it taking so long to approve your membership. I get over 300 membership requests per day, and 99%+ are from spammers. Without the spammers, membership could be instantaneous. Sometimes I let certain requests, such as yours, age a bit, so I can tell if an internet spamming history develops with the same IP address and identity. (The more obvious and unique profile names sometimes don't have to wait as long, because I can tell they're not spammers, but "Phillies" was generic enough that it did not instill my confidence...) I also have been extremely busy lately, and at this moment have 3,542 membership requests in the queue awaiting approval.

If anyone else sees this, if you are waiting to be approved for membership, please send me an e-mail that lets me know you are a legitimately interested person for this board, and I'll approve it.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hi and welcome to the board. Just my two cents I went with phil ordance reciever on my dummy Thompson and it looks great. Bob will do you a great job and will mark it anyway you want. His price is reasonable and will get it to you in a timely manner. Plus you don't have to pay a arm and let for a cut reciever that may or may not be legal.

Good luck

Frank

Thanks. As far as those saw cut Thompson receivers go... I sometimes see them on gunbroker and they usually go for a premium. Not counting the price factor, but would there be any issues putting a saw cut receiver on my parts kits to make a display rifle? I read some posts on message boards where people say to run away from them, but if they were illegal, then why would you see so many of them up for sale on gunbroker?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. As far as those saw cut Thompson receivers go... I sometimes see them on gunbroker and they usually go for a premium. Not counting the price factor, but would there be any issues putting a saw cut receiver on my parts kits to make a display rifle? I read some posts on message boards where people say to run away from them, but if they were illegal, then why would you see so many of them up for sale on gunbroker?

I agree with the above post. I had Bob(Philadelphia Ordnance) built a receiver for my 1928 parts kit and someone literally has to pick it up and inspect the gun to tell it just a display piece. Even if you can figure out some way to legally tack weld a torched original receiver back for display it will be obvious that this was done from 10 feet away.

Jim

post-15598-1316038462_thumb.jpg

post-15598-1316038510_thumb.jpg

Edited by james m

Phillies,

Welcome to the Board.

We get a lot of questions on the Board about using demil and/or saw cut receivers for dummy or display guns. The answer is simple - there is no upside to doing this. Each assembly would be judged on its own merits. You don't want to be on the losing side of any government decision. The smarter approach is to use one of Bob's display receivers. You will sleep much better at night. And have a much better looking display. Don't worry about why this demil stuff is out there and what can be done with it. None of the answers are 100% guaranteed when you start putting it back together again without the proper ATF license.

In a nut shell , if you have a properly torch cut reciever on your shelf and no other parts , it is clear you have it just to have it. When you add a parts kit to the mix , the reason for having it becomes less clear cut. When you start attaching the reciever pieces back together , well then it is even less clear and they will look at it as a possible attempt at an illegal build and , indeed , it is easy to undo thier requirements . Remember , a gun does not have to go bang for them to get you , intent ( thier interpretation of yours ) counts as well.

Chris

Thanks. A Philly Ordnance receiver might be the way to go then. Have to figure out if I need to get one that is blued or parkerized. I almost pulled the trigger on a few gunbroker auctions of demilled saw cut receivers but didn't feel to comfortable. I almot bought this one display Thompson that had a saw cut receiver with the bolt welded into the receiver to form a of metal. Is that legal I don't know but I passed on it for better or worse. It sold for a buy it now price of $850 or $950 with an extra bolt.

To the best of my knowledge, anytine you start welding a machine gun back together you're entering a grey area. Having said that; Don Bell(Omega Weapons) has had a welded up PPS 43 on his tables at gun shows for years and I think it's fair to say it's been seen by multiple BATF agents. According to him;He's never been confronted by them about it.

Jim

I agree with the above post. I had Bob(Philadelphia Ordnance) built a receiver for my 1928 parts kit and someone literally has to pick it up and inspect the gun to tell it just a display piece. Even if you can figure out some way to legally tack weld a torched original receiver back for display it will be obvious that this was done from 10 feet away.

Jim

Thanks. That is a real nice looking display piece. Did that dummy bolt knob come with it or was that extra and how it that connected to the receiver? is the 80% receiver able to securely attach to the lower half?

I have built a couple if dummy Thompsons using Philly Ordnance receivers. A 1928A1 with the bolt open and a M1A1 with the bolt closed. In both cases I cut up original bolts to use in the dummy's. Both bolts were beat up junkers so I didn't destroy anything worth while. If you want to put a drum on the piece it is easier to have the bolt open unless you want. The Philly Ordnance receivers are beautifully made and lettered. You can't tell the guns are not real until you try to work the bolt. Here is a picture of them.

Dick

thompson_group_early_WW2.jpg

dill_thompson_with_medals_restored.jpg

I have built a couple if dummy Thompsons using Philly Ordnance receivers. A 1928A1 with the bolt open and a M1A1 with the bolt closed. In both cases I cut up original bolts to use in the dummy's. Both bolts were beat up junkers so I didn't destroy anything worth while. If you want to put a drum on the piece it is easier to have the bolt open unless you want. The Philly Ordnance receivers are beautifully made and lettered. You can't tell the guns are not real until you try to work the bolt. Here is a picture of them.

Dick

So you used part of a USGI bolt in the Philly Ordnance 80% receiver? Could you elaborate? Maybe I'm just a little confused. I did like your M1A1 display rifle in that pic!

I cut off the front of the bolt and the bolt handle from the '28 and the front of the M1. I set them into the Philly Ordnance receiver which was machined to accept them. I destroyed a '28 and a M1 bolt however, neither of the bolts were of any value and were laying around in a box of junk parts for years. Visually it is impossible to tell they are not 100% original Thompsons.

Dick

Edited by Sculptor

I cut off the front of the bolt and the bolt handle from the '28 and the front of the M1. I set them into the Philly Ordnance receiver which was machined to accept them. I destroyed a '28 and a M1 bolt however, neither of the bolts were of any value and were laying around in a box of junk parts for years. Visually it is impossible to tell they are not 100% original Thompsons.

Dick

Interesting. I think I will have to try that. Although it'll be a shame to destroy the nice M1 Thompson bolt that came with my parts kit though. Unless I can see if I can buy a old junker bolt someplace...

Dick

Sculptor, I am building a 28A1 like yours, can you put a picture of the top of your reeiver up so I can see how it is done. Jim

I now offer as an option a dummy bolt head. It is the round part of the bolt, machined for

the extractor. You install the extractor just like an original bolt and fit the dummy bolt head

in thru the front of the receiver before you screw the barrel on. The bolt head is long enough

that a dummy actuator knob can be fitted thru it. If you use it on a M1928 you would want to

machine off the bottom to be able to slide in a drum. (On real gun drum goes in with bolt

cocked.) On the M1/M1A1 you don't need to do this. The dummy bolt head is $50.

Bob/Phila Ord

• 4 weeks later...

The fit is the same as original since we use the original drawings for dimensioning.

The trigger frame should (and does) slide on easily, but it is not loose. If two parts are

to slide together there must be clearance as opposed to a tight fit where they no longer

have the clearance to slide and must be assembled or disassembled with a mallet. Tightness

like this would cause galling of the mating surfaces which would get worse over time.

Bob/Phila Ord

I recently built four display guns. Be aware that when using the Philly receiver, there is a noticeable weight increase as the receiver is almost a solid block of steel. I would like to see some lightening holes milled into them. My receivers did not come blued so I sprayed them with a flat Dura-Coat, baked them, and the result was excellent.

Phila ordnance receivers are used to make everything from dummy or display guns

up to finished shooting guns by Class 2 manufacturers. The basic receiver is, of course

heavy, but to address this we have for about a year now offered as an option on the

80% receiver - a lightening cut which is 3/4" wide x 1" deep and runs the length of what

would be the pocket for the bolt. This lightening cut gets the receiver very close to what

the weight of a finished receiver with bolt installed would be. The extra cost of the lightening

cut is $25. It is interesting (at least to me) that few people order receivers with this option.

Bob/Philly O

• Upvote 1

The lightening cut is $25 if your receiver has the correct access hole for

the entry of this cutter. Depending on how old your receiver is this hole could

be there and correct, or there and wrong size or wrong position, or not there

at all. If I have to drill and flat-bottom the entry hole by hand to be able to run

it in the big machine it would be an extra $25 plus whatever return shipping is...

Bob