Savage M1 Moves In

The search for the elusive Colt 1921 has gone cold however I recently obtained this Savage M1 for my collection. It has the correct M1 bolt. The proof marks are two GEG and one FJA on the receiver. Serial number (193324) is not repeated anywhere. Barrel has a "P" on top. Thompson logo on top, pretty standard stuff. I have no idea if this is the original finish but it may be as the rear sight is slightly different so perhaps it was added later. As you can see the selector switches are paddles not pins which I think are much nicer.

A nice bonus was the fact there was a sling on it and I'm pretty sure it is an original No Buckl. It came out of an auction in Alberta and I have no history on it. I also picked up a Reising Model 50 which I believe was one of the twelve that the Toronto Police Force purchased in 1945.

Peter

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

• Upvote 1

Afraid to ask ,but what did that m1 cost you in Canada? I am prepared to start crying..lol.

Doc,

I don't want you to feel too bad. It cost $1600 including the sling. I dare say if we could sell our Thompsons to America there wouldn't be many left up here! I like to think mine would still be here though.

Are these functional or neutered?

This gun, and my other Thompsons, are fully functional.

In 1978 the Liberal government of the day prohibited any more fully automatic weapons from entering the system. Those of us that owned them were "grandfathered" and we can buy/sell/trade within our own little circle.

The guns also had to be in the registry in 1978. I can't, for instance, buy a Colt from a collector in another country and import it. Since there are so few Thompsons up here and Colts are extremely scarce within that group I may never find one for my own.

Once the full auto prohibition came into effect many were converted to semi auto only and there were no prohibitions on them. But guess what... eventually the Liberals prohibited them and made another group of "grandfathered" owners.The biggest market up here is for deactivated full autos because the government considers them "non guns". They sell for as much or more than the functional guns.

In response to a school shooting our full auto magazines had to be altered to hold only five rounds back in 1991. I could fire ten from a 1911 but only five from the Thompson.

The Liberals hit us again about five years ago when they issued an order in council which identified a group of firearms which are too scary so we can no longer take them to the range and shoot. Guess where theThompson fits! It is all part of the Liberal social re-engineering of Canada that began with Trudeau in the seventies.

Things are a little more positive with the current Conservative government (which is turfing the long gun registry) but there has been so much damage done by the Liberals over the years we have a long, long way to go.

Sorry for the rant.

• Upvote 1