OCM,

Do you have any knowledge or photos of what the FBI would have provided their

agents in 1938 when it changed over to the Colt 38 Super 1911.

Would it have been a shoulder or canted outside the belt holster or both. I think they

had a contract with Meyers at the time for holsters.

Thanks,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

I don't, most my stuff is involved in early 30s. Larry Wack might know, I'll ask if you haven't already- I'll be looking for something also, for mine.. Like a period shoulder holster maybe. I've seen these with a strap that goes around the front

I know Dillinger had a double holster on when arrested in Tucson, depending on who you talk to, a Colt 45 and a nickel Colt 38 Super, some say both 38 super ?

Will check photo files , see what I might turn up.

If you get a chance, send photo of your Colt 38S, like to see it. I won't fire mine..... ( chicken)

Best,

OCM

OCM,

I bought another Super 38 today, it was made in 1938 and has

the swartz safety. Here's a couple of the seller's photos.

-Darryl

pix823566271.jpg pix089819766.jpg pix885470664.jpg

Edited by darrylta

I got some feelers out this morning on the holster for you, see what turns up. Mickey Rooney was wearing the front strap holster in Baby Face Nelson, 1954 I think. Have you reviewed the film we had talked about, "You can't get away with it" on YouTube, might catch one there. BTW, I think the car they are using, is a 1934 Hudson in the FBI film short, same type car JD had in Tucson and same one Nelson took at Barrington- see photo below. Of interest to you Darrly, the holes in the car are made from a Colt Monitor, fired from INSIDE the car, out the front window, from the back seat, shot over Helen Gillis ( Mrs. Baby Face Nelson) who was probably in the front passenger seat. This was John Paul Chase, Nelson driving.

Bet that rung some ears !

By the numbers on Larry's site, it looks like the side holster was a lot more popular item then the shoulder holster- For me, I'd do the the shoulder type, way more cool for the period. You could also get the double shoulder type and keep two of your Colt Super 38s on person.

GOOD looking gun Darryl, of course, as always- You get the award as owning the most significant Dillinger type weapons. H.S. Lebman, where are you when we need you-

I'll get a shot of mine and send it along. The Colt 38 Super was a gang statis gun, as was the 1933 Essex Terraplane 8. I keep a Colt 38 Super as what we believed is like the one Dillinger carried as his personal weapon and recovered in Tucson, shown in the arrest photos.

Anyway- I'll be back today with , hopefully, information for you on the holster.

OCM

nelson3.jpg

That's interesting, I'd thought the shoulder holsters would have been more popular.

As far as the belt holster, would it have been a military flap style or open top canted with restraint strap?

Appreciate your efforts and good luck on the search!

Thanks,

Darryl

This will give you an idea of the percentage of one to the other. This is 1933. This is only data on the subject I have, but would seem to be a good indication on what they ordered and preferred. Not struck in concrete, but good direction.

Don't know about the style of belt holster, go to the video, it shows them in action.

OCM

33ordersdistribution.pdf

• Upvote 1

It looks like the big city agents favored shoulder holsters which makes sense.

They were much more likely to have an urgent need to use their firearm.

If only our current government watched costs as closely as they did in 33.

We wouldn't be in such a pickle.

Thanks again, I'll keep beating the bushes as well and will get back if I find

anything informative.

-Darryl

I got some feelers out this morning on the holster for you, see what turns up. Mickey Rooney was wearing the front strap holster in Baby Face Nelson, 1954 I think. Have you reviewed the film we had talked about, "You can't get away with it" on YouTube, might catch one there. BTW, I think the car they are using, is a 1934 Hudson in the FBI film short, same type car JD had in Tucson and same one Nelson took at Barrington- see photo below. Of interest to you Darrly, the holes in the car are made from a Colt Monitor, fired from INSIDE the car, out the front window, from the back seat, shot over Helen Gillis ( Mrs. Baby Face Nelson) who was probably in the front passenger seat. This was John Paul Chase, Nelson driving.

Bet that rung some ears !

By the numbers on Larry's site, it looks like the side holster was a lot more popular item then the shoulder holster- For me, I'd do the the shoulder type, way more cool for the period. You could also get the double shoulder type and keep two of your Colt Super 38s on person.

GOOD looking gun Darryl, of course, as always- You get the award as owning the most significant Dillinger type weapons. H.S. Lebman, where are you when we need you-

I'll get a shot of mine and send it along. The Colt 38 Super was a gang statis gun, as was the 1933 Essex Terraplane 8. I keep a Colt 38 Super as what we believed is like the one Dillinger carried as his personal weapon and recovered in Tucson, shown in the arrest photos.

Anyway- I'll be back today with , hopefully, information for you on the holster.

OCM

My deal fell through on a 1929 38 Super......so no photos yet ( damn )

OCM

The 29's are to find,, I looked for mine for years.

Have patience, it'll come up and you'll pay more than you wanted to for it :blush:

Here's my 29S,

pix348979007.jpg pix935047539.jpg pix202060014.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is what what was listed, and I received a blued pistol, different gun, different grips- Possibly re-blued. They have since pulled the ad after we had some dicsussion about advertising one thing and selling a different thing. Also some problems with communications and shipping...

It went back- Soured me right now-

OCM

100239191-2-L.jpg

100239191-3-L.jpg

Ah, the old bait & switch scam, I'm glad you got it resolved!

Did you tell him you were an expert on gangster tactics :angry2:

I've looked at that site many times,, but have never bought anything there.

It'll come your way.

-Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Thanks- I'm hanging with my cars for awhile, as I say, it soured me a bit on collectable firearms for awhile. My 1933 Buick " limos" will keep me occupied for the time. ( week ).

DSCN0468.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

DSCN3231.JPG

• Upvote 1

You bet ! Thanks.

The John Dillinger gang used one of these to rob the Racine , Wisconsin bank, November 20, 1933. During the robbery, they picked up a 1928 Navy Overstamp- I know you've heard this a zillion times from me, but just in case we got a gangster newbie-

They are big monster rolling cars, about 18 feet long. The gang needed a lot of room, with overcoats on, Thompsons & hostages- Like driving in your living room inside ! Jump seats fold in & out as needed-

Offically called a 1933 Buick Series 90, 7 passenger Sedan. For an extra 125 bucks, you could get the glass partition, then a real Limo.

Crazy times-

Oh, BTW, this is an original car ( black one ) owned by the DuPont family. The green one is a one owner funeral car, has 28K on it.

As far as we know, these are the only two left. ( couple " rods " )

OK, bring the Thompson bragging rights on- I'll be humbled....

DSCN3254.JPG

DSCN0187.JPG

Edited by OCM
  • Upvote 1

Whew, Darryl-

I thought we got busted for off subject... I try to throw some Thompson stuff in.

However, here's a new one, a poem, handwriten by Bonnie Parker. I got this from Bonnie's niece, a long time ago, also a signature from Billie Parker, her sister-

Ra-at-tat-tat ( sound of a Thompson )

OCM

poem.jpg