C&R Or Tube? Also A Question About Suppressed Stens.

I'm going to be buying my first machine gun in the next few weeks or so and I've pretty much decided on a sten. I'm a WW2 buff and that seems like the most reasonably priced WW2 SMG that was used a lot. I'd like to get a C&R, but in your opinion is it worth the extra 2-3k? I'd like it to be is original as possible, but are the tube guns generally all original except for the receiver? I have a 1918a4 from OOW (semi) and I'm perfectly happy with the receiver being modern (saved me about 15k) In terms of investment, will the C&R's always appreciate more than a tube gun?

Also, I've seen a few sten's with silencers around. Are they usually integral, or does it vary case by case? If it isn't integral, is it as simple as screwing it off if you don't want to use it at the time (like with normal suppressors)?

Forgive my noobishness, but before I delve into my first NFA purchase(s) I want to make sure that I'm looking at things correctly.

Thanks for your help, any comments or suggestions are much appreciated!

The silenced Stens (Mk IIS) had a removeable suppressor tube, a ported barrel, a lightened bolt and a reduced power return spring. The rest of the gun was standard Mk II Sten. A standard barrel, shroud, bolt and spring would put the gun back to standard condition. Original Mk IIS Stens are rare but there are several aftermarket conversions that have been made over the years. If you want your gun as a shooter then go for a tube gun, but history and investment would be better served with an original.

I own a tube STEN (Taylor Manufacturing), and enjoy shooting it very much. Other than the receiver, all parts are original WW2 vintage. I believe all the tube guns were made in the 1970s and 80s using newly-created receivers and original parts kits. I'm not convinced that C&R guns will always appreciate more than a tube gun, but am confident they will always be worth more. I highly recommend finding a copy of Frank I.' s or Peter Laidler's STEN books.

Sten parts were so plentiful I would feel confident in saying that a tube gun is all original parts but the reciever. I have a Stemple tube gun in transfer right now. A C&R gun is certainly nicer and will always be worth more than a tube, so it really depends on you. They won't shoot or function differently and the premium you pay for C&R is likely to remain constant regardless of base NFA tube prices.

I would buy the tube gun and use the savings for ammo, mags, and parts kits.

• 8 months later...
I've handled and inspected probably a few hundred original STENs now and every STEN is individual, the tubes were supposed to be made to set dimensions but don't believe they ever met the them because I've seen some massive differences. I've got one in my collection where the tube outer diameter is massively oversize and the front section of tube where the mag well fits has had to me machined down for it to fit on. So in my opinion, a tube gun is every bit as good or bad as an original, and is alot less money.

I don't think $3600 on GB is that inflated, even if you need a $300 parts kit to finish it. They seem to be asking a lot more on the boards the past few months. I haven't seen one under $3500 in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

That tube on GB is about complete, and I believe it went for a bargain. No gunsmithing required from the photos, just assembly. The last thing required would be a spot of weld on the front sight once the magwell is installed and the the gun sighted in. In fact one does not need to spot weld the front sight but often, they can come loose with alot of firing.

If I understand the the rules, I believe a reason to purchase a original C&R gun would be that should you decide to someday sell or trade the gun you would have a much greater market with an original gun in that a holder of a C&R collectors license could buy your original gun even if they were out of state, and there are a lot of C&R collectors licenses out there. Also, a prospective buyer should not have to worry as much that a tube gun might not be up to factory size for the tube. I have an original Long Branch [Canada] MK II Sten and whenever I watch a WWII movie I have the pleasure of knowing my gun is an original. My 2cents worth. Good luck on your purchase and welcome to the MG world.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with buying an original gun is two fold - first you have to find one - they are rare as hens teeth! Second an original will bring at least double what a "tube" gun will bring.

I failed to buy an original many years ago, even tho they were not expensive, because I wasn't intereted in brit stuff. Then I got intereted in Brit and now have 3 tube guns. I would not pay what an original gun sells for, don't want one that bad! Besides I wouldn't shoot it anyway since I have the "tube" guns to shoot.

Sarge