First Full Auto - And Serial Question

I have to check the underside of the receiver . This getting interesting.

Does anyone know anything about R.W. Urich of Allentown PA??? I am fairly certain this is Richard W Urich.

I found a gun in the auctioned Bruce Stern collection that was listed as "**MAXIM MG08/15 WATER COOLED MACHINE GUN. SN 3661. Cal. 8mm. This water cooled machine gun orig manufactured in Germany at the Erfurt Aresenal in 1917(remanufactured, possibly rewatted by Richard W. Urich of Allentown, Pennsylvania"

Seems this person had some manufacturing ability. Rewatted is what the seller had guessed happened.

Boys and Girls, The silence is deafening. Anyone have any info on John Urick. Wonder if this is like a "Pearl gun" new manufactured receiver but with "authentic" markings. Any info on Mr Urick, his guns etc may help to shed light on this. Right now the assumption is, this is not an original receiver that was imported etc.

What say ye.

What is the name and address of the manufacturer on your ATF Form?

What is the name and address of the manufacturer on the sellers ATF form? If you do not have a copy of the sellers ATF form, call him and ask him to send you a copy. While you have the seller on the telephone, ask the seller if he has a copy of the ATF from the seller that sold it to him. Ask for a copy of that form too.

Boys and Girls, The silence is deafening. Anyone have any info on John Urick. Wonder if this is like a "Pearl gun" new manufactured receiver but with "authentic" markings. Any info on Mr Urick, his guns etc may help to shed light on this. Right now the assumption is, this is not an original receiver that was imported etc.

What say ye.

It appears that he manufactured receivers of differing guns. I found his name mentioned in a post.

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

Thanks to all that have replied. I think we have an answer....

So, I actually spoke to the gentleman that made the receiver. First I apoligize, I did not initially post clearly some information. I just did not think it to be super important (newbie mistake). The manufacture on the ATF forms is R.W. Urich. of Allentown PA. That is stamped very clearly under the rear sight. The ATF forms very clearly disclose him as the manufacturer NOT Auto Ordnance or Savage.

So, again, my bad, I thought that had something to do with Rewatting

But, again, I physically spoke to R.W Urich today. He is a very nice person. Very much into WWII history and I cannot thank him enough for his time.

In short, he did indeed build about 100 Thompson receivers and register them back in the late 1970s and early 1980s using either rewelds (which this one is not), or Phila Ordnance or Richardson receivers.

He asked me to send some pics and he would look at his records and confirm which receiver he used.

So, clearly, this is NOT an original Savage AO #817.

BTW David Spiwak is a knowledgeable person and he should have represented it up front that this was an "aftermarket" built gun. So it's value would be, in my opinion, on par with a West Hurley gun price wise. Anything less on his part would be deemed unethical either done by omission or otherwise. Just my 2 cents on that.

As Z3 said, if your purchase price was on par with a USGI M1 than you paid too much...

I glad you found out who made your Thompson receiver.

Get somebody to properly rivet a rear sight on the receiver unless the manufacturer name needs to be able to be viewed? if you want to have what the real three digit war time M1 would have on it you'll need to find a plain "L" sight. Be aware there are repro's of the fixed "L" sight. The differences between the legit and repro's are in the reference threads at the top of the board.

Gents,

Lets get this back on top dead center. It is not halloween, and I could care less what you put on your door. The question, what is this? Most likely answer; A Doug Richardson or Phili Ord after market 80 % receiver finished into a full auto reciever or complete "Thompson" prior to 1986. It is on a form four, Looks like engraving and not "rolled" markings. How many are there out there? At least 100+ according to Mr Uhrick. Some were rewelds others 80% receivers. Lets get some information flowing and leave our halloween costumes behind..

Thanks.

Sandman1957

WTH?

Gents,

Updating and correcting my last posts. Was not seeing the responses, and had to reboot my computer. I was missing all the responses, looked liked no one had responded.

Putting on my idiot hat.

Sandman1957

back in step

Gents,

Updating and correcting my last posts. Was not seeing the responses, and had to reboot my computer. I was missing all the responses, looked liked no one had responded.

Putting on my idiot hat.

Sandman1957

back in step

I have one of them. In fact, I think I have several...