Will Modified SMG Mags Ever Work in TSMG again?

As a WH 1927 A1 semi-auto owner, I have come into possession of several TSMG mags over the years that have been modified to work in the semi-auto. (No, I didn't do the modifying - I bought them that way at gun shows)

My question is - will these mags still work in a TSMG, or are they now forever semi-auto mags? I think I already know the answer, but would like hear from someone with more experience than me.

Thanks.

Anyone with sheetmetal welding skills could just slowly add the metal again and mill the hole to proper specs.

theres many different and somewhat easy ways to return them to spec.

but at even as low as $25 a pop,why bother.

Semi Mod mags on the other hand, Im happy paying $25-30 a mag and converting them to semi specs in about 90 seconds Minus cleaning VS what some places want for ones already done .

In the end if you want to sell Semi-mags and if they look good/function 100% you stand to get more $$ for them.

Edited by StooperZero

Thanks. I hadn't considered that possibility - the welding, that is. I was basically wondering if I would be able to use these mags in the unlikely event I ever possess enough disposable income to justify the purchase of a full-auto version of the Thompson, or if I'd have to buy mags that haven't been converted instead. I keep hearing the TSMG mags are dwindling, but I was at a gun show yesterday where at least 3 dealers had plenty in stock, anywhere from $25 to $30/per mag. So as of right now, I'm still seeing a good supply of them

Edited by fxdrider

I like the modify the magcatch , not the mag philosophy. Then you don't have to bother about modding the mags. PK rewelded two of my semi mags as part of my custom build, so it can be done.

I like the modify the magcatch , not the mag philosophy. Then you don't have to bother about modding the mags. PK rewelded two of my semi mags as part of my custom build, so it can be done.

Thanks. It seems to me this whole dilemma was created back when the 1927 A1 Semi-autos were first produced back in the mid 70's. Somewhere in there the decision was made to elongate the hole in the mags to make them fit the new mag catch position(because of the shorter receiver used in the semi-auto). This created two different classes of magazines - TSMG mags, and Modified TSMG mags. It seems like if they had either redesigned the mag catch for the semi-auto(or modified the mag catch as we have to do to make TSMG mags fit the semis) it would have been a better solution. Then all Thompson mags would fit all Thompson guns, FA or SA. Granted, this is just my opinion - formed using the limited amount of info I have, and I'm clearly no expert. Someone please correct me if I'm in error on this.

Edited by fxdrider

I have repaired the altered smg mags a few times. It is a easy job with a TIG welder, a strip of copper, and redoing the hole back to 3/8"

If you plan to keep the mags and have someone to do the repair for zip it is worth the trouble.

Weasel