Research Law Enforcement Ordnance - for sale sheets NO 4309

Hello

There is a Thompson NO 4309 on one of the other boards. It looks very nice. Gordon's book shows that this particular Thompson was listed for sale by Law Enforcement Ordnance on 12/30/74 and 9/15/76.

Believe there are a few Law Enforcement Ordnance paper aficiondos here. Wondering if one of you might have a copy of a for sale sheet from Law Enforcement Ordnance on those dates.

Looking for a scan in order to see the description for NO 4309, or perhaps a you could type the description in a post.

thanks

michael

Did not think I would be disappointed and I was not.

TD emailed me a copy he found of another for sale flyer with NO 4309.

Description here says excellent to mint condition and is one of the higher priced Thompsons shown excluding the last one with Dillinger provenance. Judging by the description, asking price compared to the others, and the fact Roger had this for nearly two years, it seems Roger considered this special.

March 23 1976.jpg

Could this be the one in the pic with the Oakland Co Sheriff?? And Joe Louis?

I have one of Law Enforcement Ordnance Co. dated October 25,1974 and 4309 is not listed. Their are 27 1921 Thompsons listed from $975 to $2500 most around $1550.

Frank

Joe Louis examines MSP TSMG.jpg

Could this be the one in the pic with the Oakland Co Sheriff?? And Joe Louis?

Good memory

Maybe

Or maybe not

Gordon's book shows another Thompson from OCSD NO 4843, listed as a 21A

The picture I have shows a Thompson with a compensator.

The research our group did, showed that the East Chicago PD never owned a Dillinger Thompson as claimed, # 3170 coming from the Peru, Indiana PD, and don't know anything about it ( # 5878, Peru, IN.)

It's also speculation that Dillinger may not of robbed the East Chicago Bank, some claiming an inside job. I believe he did. However whomever robbed the bank took the Thompson with him. Ten days after this robbery, Dillinger & Company were arrested in Tucson with # 6099( Lima) ; #8946 ( Auburn, IN) ; #5878 ( Peru, IN) and # 3363 ( Racine) .

It would be very interesting to see the provenance the East Chicago PD has on # 3170 if they do. I certainly would like to know.

One in our group, (retired sheriff) had called the East Chicago PD I think 3 times talking cop to cop about this.

With outlaw items, it's always a big buyer beware.

How much do the stampings put on by the dept detract from the value of this gun?

Cox describes #4309 in 1975 as "excellent to mint" even with the PD marking. It sure cannot be mint when it doesn't look like it did when it left Colt/AOC. The current photos of #4309 do not indicate a "mint" condition. Of course who knows what this Colt looked like nearly 40 years ago when Cox had it listed. It is interesting that Cox continued to raise the prices on his TSMG inventory, sometimes twice a year, on items that were not selling. But you have to wonder if JCE ever advertised a Colt TSMG as being "refinished" as Cox does with one of his examples. Back then he valued a 'refinished" Colt as only $350 less than his "mint" examples.

Some collectors like the PD stampings, How much one should consider the negative impact on value on the overall condition is difficult to state. But it would be a point of negotiation for the buyer.

• Upvote 1

Dutch-

I look at it as a positive, i.e. my Anderson Colt has the PD under the trigger group. On the" side", for my concerns, would be a negative.

Unless, it was historically dated to JD. Which, as far as I know, doesn't exist.

Interesting subject.

Was talking to Jim C the other day, about a thread started about just Colt Thompsons. Just a discussion/photos. The differences.

I can't, but the forum is getting rather stale IMHO.

( covering my ass, stale on Colt Thompsons , whew )

OCM

Edited by OCM

Hey Dell,

Seems like I've seen this picture before, name sounds familiar too. Know Mattix, Helmer that group ? ( Dillinger historians etc ), Maybe the Hudson group ? Cars ?

Good seeing your stuff, this is a good place.

OCM

Iam new to this site. Just practicing on a post. Thanks for the help David.

attachicon.gif100_0084.JPG

attachicon.gif100_0086.JPG

• Upvote 1

OCM,

We have always been interested in the history associated with firearms.Especially Thompsons. We never participated in a formal research group, like you guys, but would have loved to.

Thanks for the kind words.

Respectfully,

Dell

OK, good to see you here, this has it all regarding the association with Thompsons and everything Thompson. I'm one of the newer guys too, but a fast learner. Lot of history on the gangsters, lawmen etc over in the forum 's sub category, if you are into that. Lot of good folks here that know a lot.

AS/B4

OCM