Ma Barker's Thompson

Have the # on the Thompson rear stock recovered from the Barker battle in Florida. Does it reflect to the # on the receiver, believed to be a 21 Colt. I'm thinking it was just the number used by Remington.

Thanks-

OCM

Hi OCM,

You are right the numbers on the stock/butt and butt-plate were Remington numbers and a random complete butt was attached to each Colt manufactured Thompson. However, sometimes Colt Thompson guns turn up with a butt number on them that matches the gun.

D

Edited by 765 21D

Thanks, thought so but had to check. # was 13578 on the butt stock .

Usually buttstock numbers are not 5 digits. That may be a colt #??

Sandy and Mike,

Colt buttstock numbers can go into the five digit series. After all there were 15,000 guns made, right?

765 21D,

Never saw a Colt gun that had a matching butt stock number. Do you know of any examples or have pictures?

Hi GI,

I believe that two East Side Irish Swords have matching butt numbers to the guns but I can't find the source for that information at the moment and maybe Murry can help as I think the Thompsons are in New Zealand.

D

Edited by 765 21D

The # is about 500 off my Colt 28N. Just an FYI.

Listed here is the Thompson & stuff left after the battle with Ma Barker and her son in Florida.

Compliments of FBI Agent ( retired ) Larry Wack.

barkerflaweapons.pdf

Here is a photo of the recovered guns & ammo from the Ma Barker battle. Nice collection of Thompson items- Etc.

A keen eye will spot a FBI/police hard case sitting inside the screened front porch too. When this stuff was shipped back to Washington, it was valued at $500.00. 1935.

Again thanks to my pal Larry Wack for this stuff.

look it over, nice stuff here guys & gals. The Thompson on the left with the C drum, was found next to Ma Barker, the one on the right was laying on the floor with no magazine at the bottom of the bed. Fred Barker took 14 slugs, she, one to the head.

You can view this on Larry's FBI site, under the Barker home for sale, if interested.

OCM

This probably needs to go over to the gangster forum now, it will start heading off the direct Thompson subject, if continued.

weapons.jpg

Edited by OCM

What happened to Ma Barker's Thompsons after the gun battle? Were they destroyed or did they end up in the FBI inventory and kept? Maybe this question has been asked and answered before but I admit I'm a bit ignorant here on this.

Doc-

Wish I could give you an answer on that, we are attempting to see if that info exists. There are some new books coming out on the subject tho.

Heading for the Thompson numbers first- The ID of a hard case might start the process, stolen police guns ?

• Upvote 1

Kind of interesting to me because the house is only about 50 miles from where I live, tops.

Was for sale at one time, you could buy it and have an annual Thompson Collectors Association there, everyone line up with your Thompson on the front porch again. Do it in the winter when everything is colder then hell most places.

We could even shoot the living hell out of the house with our Thompsons and bring it back to it's glory days ! Think tourists trap.

I think it's a capitol idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for the Barker Thompsons- Larry Wack seems to think they were on display at the FBI headquarters years ago, I think I remember something about that. Larry says they probably still exist and is checking on that best he can. Lot of red tape type stuff to go through, just how it is.

The Alvin Karpis Thompson is still in South St Paul and available to view, by request I believe.

How much would you pay for Ma Barker's 1921 AC with a C drum. Ouch !

I'm sure it would cost more than I could presently afford. I'm thinking over 6 figures. The Bonnie & Clyde Thompson went for $130,000 last year as I recall. I think the Ma Barker Thompson would get to that level, or do you think less? We do know it went through one hell of a shootout.

Clyde & Bonnie didn't have a Thompson, to my, or his sister, Marie Barrow's knowledge. Warren Beatty & Michael J. Pollard, but not Clyde.

Freddie & Ma for sure. A real outlaw Thompson, like pictured with Dillinger or the Barkers, Nelson etc. I would think a mid to high 6 figure number. Same with a Barrow BAR. These would have to be real certified guns, with extreme provenance for me to purchase. Primarily you are buying the paperwork, gun secondarily. Less paper less value. Common sense . IMHO.

OCM

I think it would be an extreme coup for a collector like you to get one of those guns I would say. I'd love to have one, but at the prices you're talking it's way out of my income range. The Thompson at the Joplin shootout that went for 130,000 was serial number 4208. I'm sure you know more about it than me.

Edited by Dolphinvet

I don't believe I've seen a true 1930s outlaw Thompson ever up for sale . Almost all are in the hands of the police or FBI, many displayed in the PD history collections. My 28N was taken, but not used at the bank robbery with two of Whitey Bulger's gang members. Close but no cigar on that one.

Someone has the Colt Monitor that was used in the Baby Face Nelson battle, probably hidden in Grandpa's basement. Dillinger's 38 Super taken off him in Tucson, is there somewhere buried in a family drawer in Tucson. I've made a stab at the 38 Super with no luck at all.

Most of this was gone over in the gangster forum on the other side, I think we're just about to get busted over here anyway, on this subject.

OCM

Edited by OCM