Police Department Thompson

My buddy is a police officer in New Jersey, a place not known for the gun culture but his department was selling

2 Thompson s from their inventory and he tried calling me to ask me if I wanted to buy them but my cell phone died and so

a local dealer bought them both for 10K.....I am miserable thinking about it....but that's life...

post-257912-0-32726500-1375746520_thumb.jpg

OUCH!!! Hopefully they were not transferable to us regular guys....

Airborne,

Either your phone was dead for a really long time or your buddy was in a hell of a hurry. If they were form 10 you couldn't have bought them anyway.

What is the name of the city? You don't happen to know a officer on the Newark, NJ PD do you??

Jim C

I'm not sure, but I am making a wild guess that the BVPD sent the gun off to be tuned up, and it came back missing the stock, bolt assembly and mag being told that the replacement parts were an "upgrade". I asked a ton of folks at the department, and of course, all the old timers were long gone.

I will leave it to one of the guru's here on the drum.

It is still a decent piece. I thought about keeping it, finding the parts and sending it off to PK to work his magic. Found an anchor marked stock at $700 w/ hardware.

Kid is in college and I needed some tuition/book funds, and perhaps a couple of upgrades on the jet boat.

Hope the new owner enjoys it.

Thanks for bidding.

I got a bunch of newbie questions for you guys.

Who is Omega?

What exactly would you do with those two guns? Have them refinished?

As long as the receivers are in sound condition for that price you can afford to fix or replace anything else. If these were mine I'd be on the phone to Omega and get 2 spare parts sets and go from there.

Jim

I did not realize that you are the owner of the gun.

Where would you find the original parts?

Who's PK and what would he do with the gun?

Thanks for answering, I'm not quite up to speed on Thompsons.

I'm not sure, but I am making a wild guess that the BVPD sent the gun off to be tuned up, and it came back missing the stock, bolt assembly and mag being told that the replacement parts were an "upgrade". I asked a ton of folks at the department, and of course, all the old timers were long gone.

PK is Paul Krogh of Diamond K, he is the go-to Thompson-smith for fixing and restoring all things Thompson. Expect to wait several years (or presidential terms) on his waiting list if you want the best to work on your Thompson.

I will leave it to one of the guru's here on the drum.

It is still a decent piece. I thought about keeping it, finding the parts and sending it off to PK to work his magic. Found an anchor marked stock at $700 w/ hardware.

Kid is in college and I needed some tuition/book funds, and perhaps a couple of upgrades on the jet boat.

Hope the new owner enjoys it.

Thanks for bidding.

TNKen, first the Mobile P.D. AO 28A1, now the Colt....say it isn't so.....

I hope your kid appreciates the sacrifice you made for the college bills.

The happiest two days in a boat owners life are the day you buy one and the day you sell it. I think the saddest day in a Thompson's owner life would be the day you sold one. I think I would have picked the Colt Thompson over the jet boat in a heartbeat.

Do people restore Thompsons much? I thought that was sort of verboten.

How much would a restoration on a Thompson cost typically?

PK is Paul Krogh of Diamond K, he is the go-to Thompson-smith for fixing and restoring all things Thompson. Expect to wait several years (or presidential terms) on his waiting list if you want the best to work on your Thompson.

Restoration is a complex topic. PK mostly fixes West Hurley and other similar brands that were not up to "original " standards. People will sometimes restore a gun that was heavily(or poorly) modified, such as a gun that was polished or plated or had extra holes drilled. Others will restore a gun if it is in really bad shape. Personally I would not restore an original gun no matter the condition, unless it was significantly modified.

My feeling on restoration is that I would only refinish a gun that where the "patina" was the result of abuse rather than honest wear.

I saw a heavily pitted Mauser C96 pistol get restored very nicely, in that case the restorer made a useful and attractive gun out of a piece of junk.

Many a man has put grandpappy's heirloom gun into a fabric gun case and had condensation ruin the finish. I don't think that counts as a "patina".

Or as the other poster mentioned, if someone altered and "customized" a gun in a foolish way, technically by un-customizing it you're just reversing a mistake. Unless the customizing has some historical property, like a flintlock being converted to percussion.

TNKen, first the Mobile P.D. AO 28A1, now the Colt....say it isn't so.....

I hope your kid appreciates the sacrifice you made for the college bills.

The happiest two days in a boat owners life are the day you buy one and the day you sell it. I think the saddest day in a Thompson's owner life would be the day you sold one. I think I would have picked the Colt Thompson over the jet boat in a heartbeat.

Well, I kind of have lost interest in the MG world. Yeah, my daughter actually does appreciate the sacrifice.

I've gotten back into fishing, and am using the boat on average 3-4 times a week. And actually manage to catch a fish or two here and there. Something my kids and friends enjoy as well.

Here's the daughter with a pig.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/TNKen/IMG_0705_zps6fc8f0f9.jpg